Avoid United Van Lines agent Dupage Moving and Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
consumer advocate

Avoid United Van Lines agent Dupage Moving and Storage

Postby consumer advocate » Mon May 10, 2004 2:20 pm

Mayflower agent, Century Moving & Storage, the subject of a RICO suit, is
now a United Van Lines agent operating under the name of DuPage Moving & Storage, in the Chicago suburb of Lombard, Illinois. As Century Moving & Storage, the company held the plaintiff's goods hostage for thousands of dollars more than the original estimate. Century Moving & Storage has been the subject of consumer complaints on other websites and has been sued twice for fraud and overcharging. Apparently because of the bad press, they've found it necessary to change their name and van line affiliation.

To read about Century's hostage freight actions in the RICO case against
Mayflower, click on the link to the judge's recent opinion: www.ilnd.uscourts.gov Select "Recent Opinions" on that webpage and put in 6261 as the case number.

or read about the case here:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/MayflowerRico.shtml

Michael

Re: Avoid United Van Lines agent Dupage Moving and Storage

Postby Michael » Tue May 11, 2004 9:18 am

Consumer,

Before you go bashing a company, do you know if the owners of Century Moving and Storage are still involved with this new DuPage United agent?

It could have been a simple case of buying the agency for their trucks and such. I do not know either or any of the answers. But I do know how one company may purchase another and have the only exchange be trucks and equipment.

Thanks,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue May 11, 2004 9:37 am

CA,

I will give you the history of what I know:

Johnson Storage and Moving Company, LLC
951 Main St.
Lombard, IL 82007
United agency #708
Became a United agent in 1994
They owned a total of 23 agencies

On 9-13-2002, the Lombard office was sold (new ownership) and acquired the name DuPage Moving & Storage.

Address stayed the same, but ownership was new.

This was obviously done before they new the case was going to trial.

Josh
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Natasha Fatale

Postby Natasha Fatale » Tue May 11, 2004 10:46 am

Michael wrote:Before you go bashing a company, do you know if the owners of Century Moving and Storage are still involved with this new DuPage United agent?

The answer is yes. The picture of the staff on the homepage shows that it is the same staff. The pictures on the "Our Staff" page are pictures of Robert Fleming and Sue Juergens, President and VP of Century Moving & Storage. These were the same people in charge at the time of both lawsuits involving Century's fraud and overcharging.

Here is what else I know:

As of February 2004, Century still had its website up and was presumably still doing business under that name. The website is no longer operative. Century is still listed as an agent on Mayflower's webiste. DuPage is now listed as an agent on United's website, at the same address.

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue May 11, 2004 11:13 am

Century Mayflower is still an active agent for Mayflower!

DuPage Moving & Storage is an agent for United Van Lines.
Mayflower agent, Century Moving & Storage, the subject of a RICO suit, is
now a United Van Lines agent operating under the name of DuPage Moving & Storage, in the Chicago suburb of Lombard, Illinois.

If you call Century, they will not be operating under the name DuPage. If you call DuPage, they will not be operating under Century.

There are many Unigroup agents that are cross rep's of both van lines. Century did not change their name, Johnson Storage & Moving changed their name with new ownership in 2002.
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 11, 2004 1:51 pm

Josh & Michael,
I realize this treads into your turf, but I have to concur with the other posts. If this were a known scammer, and we were posting their paper trail of becoming a new company, would you defend them with the same fervor? This post is to let people know that DuPage has been known under a different name previously, and to let future customers of DuPage know what the history is. Just like American Eagle/Four Star Transportation, and how many others we've found lately? Sorry if this hits home for you. Century/DuPage has made their bed, and they have to lie in it.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue May 11, 2004 3:53 pm

MusicMom said:
Century/DuPage has made their bed, and they have to lie in it

...And its UniGroup parents (Mommy Mayflower and Papa United) are tucking them in to that bed and fluffing their pillows...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:24 am

Tyrone wrote:MusicMom said:
Century/DuPage has made their bed, and they have to lie in it

...And its UniGroup parents (Mommy Mayflower and Papa United) are tucking them in to that bed and fluffing their pillows...

Update:

Dupage Moving & Storage is in the process of being sold to another United agent with a much better reputation. They will probably change the name. Century Moving and its owner Robert Fleming are crooks in the worse way. Century is a tremendous liability to the Mayflower system. Either they need to shut them down or the Illinois Commerce Commission needs to.

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 am

Then shouldn't someone inform them of what's going on before Mayflower is destroyed too? Mayflower seems to be one that has a good rep. here and I would really hate to see some doom come to it because of unscrupulous crooks ...further why aren't these people doing jail time or prison for gosh sakes?

Guest 3

Postby Guest 3 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:47 am

Mayflower and United are the same thing.

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:54 am

Well, okay then why aren't they being exposed so that more people don't fall victims to them?
The fact that someone can boldly change a business name and go into business again is just so wrong when they've already been prosecuted for fraud!

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:00 am

Oh believe me Pat, Unigroup is well aware of any agents and their unsrupulous behavior.

Why or why not any parent company does anything to their agents is something best answered by those in the big seats at corporate.

I know at Mayflowers convention in 2003, after the Dateline story, they did a whole thing on the show, wrote an article on me and so on.

So everyone is aware of all this crap. Its just how they choose to protect themselves.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:05 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

Return to “Open Community”