"Move for less" in NJ - any feedback?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mcoop22

"Move for less" in NJ - any feedback?

Postby mcoop22 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi,
I just found your website today and it has been helpful during a stressful time. I did a lot of research on this site and want to know if I have selected a good company. I chose Move for Less: http://www.moveforlessinc.com/

They are based out of Union NJ. I chose them because I saw no negative feedback, they are local (I live in Somerset NJ), and they have been in business for 18 years. Their estimate was actually a tad higher than some of the others I received, but based on the above, I decided to go with them. I still have time to change (they did not require a deposit either), in case others recommend against them. By the way, University Van Lines in Rahway, which is recommended on this site, has no availability for the entire month of August.

Thanks in advance,
mcoop

PS. Also, I read in another post that one should check to see if the truck is empty when it arrives and before it departs. I understand why one would do the latter, but do not understand why it matters if there are things in the truck upon arrival. Any clues?

farrah7031

Re: "Moves for less" in NJ - any feedback?

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:20 pm

You didn't mention where you're moving to.

Move For Less has only been licesned since 2004 to do interstate (out of NJ) moves. If you're moving interstate, I'd chose someone else with a longer history.

Also, they have an UNSATISFACTORY rating with the BBB: http://www.trenton.bbb.org/nis/newsearc ... 0011006199

Throw them out.

mcoop22

Postby mcoop22 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

For the record it is an in-state move (only 20 minutes).

Other opinions welcomed

Thanks

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 pm

coop, a reputable mover will not have other items in the truck for a local move; for a local move, that truck and the crew are yours for that move and yours alone. It's important to see the truck as empty in both places because the mover will not utilize inventory sheets in a local move like they would in an interstate or intrastate move.

If you know (1) the truck is empty upon arrival, (2) everything in your residence has been moved into the truck, and (3) the truck is empty at residence, then the move is complete. This not only protects you, but it also protects the mover because it is the mover's evidence to you that (a) everything has been moved, (b) nothing more has been given to you that isn't yours, and (c) nothing has been left on the truck.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

mcoop22

Postby mcoop22 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks Jim - that makes sense now

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Yes, thanks, Jim. I didn't know all that stuff about local moves! :D

Jerseygirl86

Postby Jerseygirl86 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:37 pm

Did you end up using this company or find anything else out about the company? i am considering using them too because they gave me a good rate 4 hrs/420$. Please let me know, thanks

Diane

Re: "Move for less" in NJ - any feedback?

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:07 pm

I would not use this company. Remember, it has an "unsatisfactory" rating with the BBB because of unanswered complaints, and it misrepresented itself as a BBB member when it wasn't one.

mcoop22

Postby mcoop22 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:53 pm

my move is scheduled for next week...if someone could suggest an alternative mover, I am all ears....

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:34 pm

You might have luck going on www.emove.com and finding a highly rated mover on there since it's so close.

Return to “Open Community”