Pittsburgh: vote for South Hills Movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
benoit.hudson

Pittsburgh: vote for South Hills Movers

Postby benoit.hudson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I was moving from Pittsburgh to Chicago, 1-BR, I packed all the boxes. Based on the big list and prior history, I called up South Hills, Allied, and United. The name 'South Hills' seemed vaguely familiar; then, while stepping out of my office to get coffee, I realized it's because the CMU computer science department uses them heavily -- SH boxes litter those halls in August.

They all got back to me pretty quickly, but I dropped the ball and only kept talking to South Hills. Sales rep and I found a convenient time; he pretty quickly, after the usual look-see, guessed 2,200 lbs -- a tiny job (also concurred with my estimate based on a prior move). He warned me up-front that with such a tiny job, I'd be one of several shipments in the truck, so he may not be able to guarantee a fast time from pickup to delivery; that was up to the dispatcher. His computer was broken so he couldn't give me a quote then; but, as promised, first thing the next morning I got a call from the main office person, and a fax with a quote. The dispatcher warned that my address was on a no-big-trucks road, so the main office person called me and (after I gave them the number) contacted the destination building management to figure out a workaround (there's a loading dock, on another road). Did some forms by fax including setting up a credit card (!) payment, and confirmed a range of dates. The day before the beginning of the range, got a call saying they'd show up on day 1; I was told who the driver and the other guy would be, when they'd show up in Pittsburgh, when this same pair would be delivering in Chicago (4 days later), and what their cellphone number was. They showed up in Pittsburgh at the first minute of the 1-hour range they'd promised, identified themselves, made sure to be picking up only my stuff (I had roommates), etc. Took about two-three hours for them to take everything down the stairs (probably a half-hour of that was just getting the couch through the door). Got a call during then from the main office to confirm that indeed, the truck had showed up. Next day, got a call from SH saying my shipment weight was under the estimate (I'd thrown out a ton of junk), so the price was down. Day before delivery, the driver called to confirmed they were in Chicago and would be delivering on time. Day of delivery, they arrived right in the middle of the time window I'd been promised even before pickup. A couple hours to deliver, then a call from the main office confirming delivery was made. No damage to anything (except a hole in one box, without causing damage to the contents); no missing boxes, no extra boxes from someone else's shipment. A few days later, got a questionnaire in the mail asking how things went, and how I liked each of the people I interacted with.

Summary: my stuff got there intact. I was never misled. My time was never wasted. I dealt with several different people, but all were cordial and professional, and aware of what I'd told the previous people. Potential issues were dealt with before they arose. They checked to make sure things were going well. Same crew picked up and delivered. Oh, and the price was completely reasonable. I might have liked a tiny bit more than 24 hour's warning that they'd pickup on the first day of the agreed-upon range, but I had explicitly told them that the earlier the better.

A big thank-you to South Hills, and to this list for pointing me in their direction.

Diane

Re: **Pittsburgh: vote for South Hills Movers

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks for this great review, which I've added to the Superlist. A couple of people have posted in the past that SH was unresponsive, but obviously you had a totally opposite experience, and I'm glad to hear it.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

benoit.hudson

Re: Pittsburgh: vote for South Hills Movers

Postby benoit.hudson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:40 pm

I forgot to mention: about $1450 for an 1800-lbs shipment, 450 miles, mid-August, stairs on pickup; elevator and loading dock on delivery. They packed the bed and wardrobe, I packed everything else. Estimate had been about $1600 or $1700 (I forget exactly) for 2200 lbs in the same conditions. They warned of a "couple hundred" extra if they had to stop somewhere and switch to a local truck due to restrictions on 18-wheelers, but that didn't end up being a problem.

The insurance was the usual .60/lb, or I could buy extra insurance but that had a minimum insured value of $15k (and an accordingly high cost). So, I went with the standard.

Return to “Open Community”