positive recommendations

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
sbarber

positive recommendations

Postby sbarber » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:48 pm

I would like to commend the work of 4 companies that handled my international move from CA, USA to Geneva, and back.

I first chose Southern Winds, primarily because they were listed on this website and responded quickly with the most reasonable quote for my move. They were professional, fast, and reliable, and responsive to my many questions. I had a small shipment and they gave me a quote after I described it over the telephone. The weight exceeded the quote but I think the shipping price was fair. They contracted with Broadway Moving and Shipping to prepare the shipment locally, and I found that the 2 men who made the move were professional, pleasant, and did the job well. When the movers were delayed by several days, I had to pay additional fees for storage; however, these fees were removed from my total payment to Southern Winds.

Southern Winds contracted Simpson's Removal and Storage, UK, to receive the shipment from CA in the UK, and were responsible for forwarding it to Geneva. Simpson's held the shipment for me in storage in the UK for a very reasonable UK 10 pounds per month.

For the return shipment to the US, Simpsons prepared a very reasonable estimate, and handled the shipment of the goods back to the US. The only small complaint is that they were rather slow to respond and one of their staff (Tracy) was unresponsive to my questions, particularly after I had already paid for the shipment. The rest of the people I dealt with at Simpsons, however, were very professional and responsive, particularly Peter Turner.

Simpsons contracted another mover to handle the shipment upon arrival in the US: International Sea & Air Shipping based in NJ. I checked this website and found no reviews for this company; however, they do have a positive review on the BBB. I was initially surprised to be asked to sign a separate agreement/ contract with International Sea and Air. I could not understand why a subcontractor would want a separate contract for the shipment. However, in the end Int'l Sea & Air handled the shipment professionally and without any problems.

The only small issue is that the shipment eventually arrived much later than the initial quotation by Simpsons, related to delays leaving the U.K, and further delays from port to destination in the US, which could not fully be explained by delays in customs. Although the late arrival (in weeks) did not pose problems for me, it would have been more convenient to have an accurate estimate of the timing.

I am however satisfied with the work of all four companies that were involved in the move, and would not hesitate to contact them again for my next international move in the fall. They did a great job.

Diane

Re: **positive recommendations

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks so much for your review of these four companies, which I've added to our Southern Winds review thread since they were the company that originally booked the move from the U.S. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 0499#30499

Return to “International Moves”