Move from NH to CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
WORFsonofmogh

Move from NH to CA

Postby WORFsonofmogh » Wed May 12, 2004 1:40 pm

Hello all,

I have been researching the moving process for the last month. I initially started out looking for qoutes on the internet (oops). Then I found this wonderful site. I took your advice, and I completely started over. I got out the phone book, and I called just about every moving company in the southern new hampshire area. I am moving from Somersworth, NH to San Diego, CA on June 23rd. All my things will be transferred into a self-storage space in San Diego. So far, I have received five in-home estimates, and I was hoping to get any comments/suggestion that you might have. Here goes:

1. McLaughlin Moving--agent for Mayflower--estimate by Fraser Nixon
estimated weight: 3196 lbs.
Estimated Cost, including mini-storage fee: $3086, 59% discount
He sent me a second estimate of $2784, 63% off, if I move the date back from June 23rd to June 20th
Type of bid: Non-binding estimate

This guy seemed professional, he was dressed well anyway. Although, he seemed a little green, as if he had just started on this job. He seemed a little nervous, and didn't seem quite prepared to answer some rather simple questions. All in all, though, he seemed OK. The weight he quoted me is rather high, I told him that I would probably be shipping all of my books and tapes via Book Rate (probably about 300-400 lbs), but he gave me a quote including the weight of the books. The weight he estimated is still too high, even considering the extra weight for the books. (without the books, most of the other estimated were around 2500 lbs).

2. Wood Bros--Agent for Atlas--Estimate by Jack Gordon
estimated weight: 2540 lbs.
Estimated Cost, including mini-storage fee: $2408, 62% discount
Type of bid: Non-binding estimate

This guy was really friendly. He was somewhat unprofessional, but he might have just been trying to be nice. He was really talkative, and he was not shy about the process. He even let me tinker with the program that printed out the estimate. He said he wasn't too computer-savvy. I let him do the work, though. He printed out a non-binding estimate right there in my home, and signed it and everything. He gave me all the appropriate materials. He seemed to be genuine, he was just really talkative.

3. ITC/Quality Moves/Certified Moving and Storage???---Jim Leroy
Here is the email quote he sent me:
HERE IS YOUR ESTIMATE FOR YOUR MOVE TO SAN DIEGO. THIS IS DOOR TO DOOR SERVICE AND THERE ARE NO HIDDEN CHARGES. THIS ALSO INCLUDES THE STAIR CARRY IN SOMERSWORTH. I DON'T KNOW IF THE OTHER MOVERS QUOTED YOU ON THAT.

TRANSPORTATION CHARGES...........................2040.21
FUEL SURCHARGE........................................... 122.41
INSURANCE SURCHARGE................................ 81.61
ORIGIN/DESTINATION CHARGE........................ 86.00
STAIR CARRY ORIGIN....................................... 75.00
TOTAL COST.....................................................2405.23

I don't know where to start with this guy. First, he cancelled my appt because he had car trouble. I suppose that is understandable, so we rescheduled for the next day. I saw him coming in to the apt. complex, and it seems someone gave him a ride. I found this company in the phone book, under ITC movers. I looked them up at the BBB website, and they apparently are also known as ITC housewarmers, apparently they are also a retail store? I could not find any evidence of a DOT or ICC license number. The "Estimate Memo" he left with me says their name is Quality Moves, and he was wearing a shirt that said Certified Moving and Storage. I don't know what to think about this company, but I will probably not go with them. I only included this quote in the post so that future potential customers can read about them.

4. Interstate Moving and Storage--Bekins--Bob Machulis
The guy seemed professional enough. Though he did not seem especially friendly. It seemed like he could not get out of here fast enough. I have not yet received an actual quote. He said it would come in the mail. I just called, and apparently their computers are down since the day I received my quote. The receptionist assured me she would call me back today. I will update this post as soon as I hear from them.

5. Diggins and Rose---United---Greg Prince
Esimated weight: 2734 lbs (w/out books)
Estimated cost: $2961, 56% discount
cost reduced to $2624, 61% discount if I move the date back to before june 20th.

This guy was pretty friendly and very professional, no nonsense. He printed out what looks like an unofficial estimate right here in my house.

That's it. I am sorry if this post is too long. I just wanted to get out as much of the information for you as possible. I would also like to know if you think it is a good idea to get insurance through my renter's insurance company, Nationwide. They told me that I will be covered for 10% of my normal coverage during the move. That would give me $2000 in coverage during the move. I was told I could even raise the coverage right before I start the move. This option would surely be cheaper than any Valuation coverage by a moving comapny, right? Also, do you agree that shipping as much as possible by book rate is a good idea. I figure, with all my books, CD's, and videotapes, I could get rid of 300-400 lbs. Book rate runs about $30 per 70lb box, w/$500 insurance.

Thanks in advance for your help, and your patience.
Why does moving have to be such a nightmare??

MusicMom

Re: Move from NH to CA

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 12, 2004 2:09 pm

Drop # 3 right now, whatever their name is. If they make you feel uncomfortable, don't give them a second chance.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed May 12, 2004 2:09 pm

I'm not sure I understand when you said the Mayflower guy was too high, even with the 300 - 400 lbs for books...

Based on the weight he gave you, if you reduce the amount by 400 lbs, the weight is right there with United's.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 12, 2004 2:18 pm

I don't know whether it's the same company, but a Certified Moving & Storage in New Hampshire has been discussed on this board before (do a search on the name and look for a thread started by "Cindy"). It has MC #374605. If you're dealing with the same company, run away as fast as you can.

WORFsonofmogh

Postby WORFsonofmogh » Wed May 12, 2004 2:42 pm

You are right BigLee, I guess the Mayflower quote is about right. MusicMom and Diane, thanks for the advice. Like I said, I was already pretty sure I would not use ITC. I just wanted to get their name in a post. I was hoping I could help other people that might try to go with them. Or if they are legit, maybe someone has some more information on them. I certaintly won't be using them, too many unanswered questions. So far, I am leaning towards Wood Bros/Atlas. Not only did they give me the best discount, but I felt comfortable with them. Does anyone know of any reason I should not go with Atlas?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 12, 2004 3:00 pm

If this is Wood Bros. Moving & Storage, Inc. in Portsmouth, NH (MC #013164), it looks OK on www.safersys.org. It did have one month-long license revocation back in 2000. I assume that you've done all the prudent things such as visiting the company offices, asking local people what they know about the company, asking for references and contacting them (although these can be easily faked), and so on.

Does anyone know why this person is apparently not able to get GNTE estimates? Is it because of the mini-storage issue?

WORFsonofmogh

Postby WORFsonofmogh » Thu May 13, 2004 9:05 am

Hello again. Yes, Diane, I have gone by their offices. There was indeed an office, and several large trucks. So, they seem to be the real thing. So does anyone have any other comments/concerns? Hopefully, I can book the job soon, and be done with it. I had another concern: I believe that he mentioned that my things may be transferred to another truck at some point between NH and CA. Is this standard practice? Should I be concerned? At the very least, this increases the possibility that something might get damaged. I suppose it is understandable concerning how long the move is. I have been wondering about the fact that I have not been getting GNTE as well. I do not know why that is. I was told by one of the movers that if I did, the price would be more.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 13, 2004 9:21 am

I hope that someone will jump in here to explain about their not giving you a GNTE estimate, but my guess is that they are afraid that you may not ship the books separately but will want them to move the books as well on moving day. I remember when we moved (from an APARTMENT!) one estimator wouldn't give us a GNTE because he said--jokingly, but he said it--we might have stuff stored somewhere else that we would be adding. Nice! Needless to say we didn't use that company.

Yes, they may transfer your goods from one van to another. This is an article that touches on that kind of thing:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/relocation/57979
There's not much you can do about it and I wouldn't worry about it.

Aside from the lack of a GNTE, I don't see any red flags with Atlas. You might want to send BigLee a PM to ask him about the GNTE since he has more time to answer than some of the other moverguys.

EXMOVERGUY

Postby EXMOVERGUY » Thu May 13, 2004 1:14 pm

Hey Bud, I am from NH, and I had a move from NH to Sacramento 2 years ago, and back again last fall. Forget Diggins and Rose, they burned a friend of mine. Also, I am an ex-Mover myself and let me tell it to you up front - Expect to pay 3 times the amount quoted, that's their catch, and once your goods are loaded up in the truck...they have you by the balls. Also, yes, it is common practice to move goods onto other trucks along the way, it is so the Mover can get optimum cubic feet loaded in their trucks to make money - BUT BEWARE - Just one snag or delay from other parties goods on the same truck - could mean a delay in rec'g your goods. Plan ample time.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu May 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Worf,

Apparently the last poster must have worked for a scam mover, because that IS NOT HOW it goes with legitimate movers.

The only time your goods should be transferred from the vehicle it was originally loaded onto is if there was a shuttle, a G-11 pickup, or pick up into Storage-in-transit.

Ex mover said

Also, I am an ex-Mover myself and let me tell it to you up front - Expect to pay 3 times the amount quoted, that's their catch, and once your goods are loaded up in the truck...they have you by the balls. Also, yes, it is common practice to move goods onto other trucks along the way, it is so the Mover can get optimum cubic feet loaded in their trucks to make money

Another incorrect point.... Legitimate movers do not charge by cubic feet.
And moving goods onto other trucks along the way doesn't even sound right to the untrained ear.... Once a shipment is loaded on the over the road van, the only way it comes off prior to scheduled delivery is if it goes into sit, or there is a shuttle.. Anything else is blatantly shady, and I guess that's why this guy is an Ex mover....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 13, 2004 1:46 pm

Lee,

Can you please comment on why this person in NH wasn't given a GNTE and/or is there any chance you could contact the United or Mayflower agent to find out why? In your opinion, should this person pay extra to get a GNTE?

Also, I think we can safely disregard the bulk of what the "exmoverguy" says. He's describing what scammers do and may have been scammed himself, who knows? But we can't verify the rest of it.

FredW

Postby FredW » Thu May 13, 2004 2:15 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:The only time your goods should be transferred from the vehicle it was originally loaded onto is if there was a shuttle, a G-11 pickup, or pick up into Storage-in-transit.

Would this be obvious on the quote?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu May 13, 2004 3:00 pm

Diane and Fred...

I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that the reason he was not given a not to exceed because he DID mention that he had mini storage.... No one is giving (well at least no one that I know) binding estimates when mini storage is involved. Too many variables.

Apparently none of the sales people bothered to mention that as the reason for not giving binding estimate. Unigroup actually has a policy where anything involving sit or mini storage is to be non binding.

And a shuttle, if known, should be listed on the estimate, unless there is what is called a day certain load, which means its picked up on a specific date, taken back to the warehouse, and transferred there.

WORFsonofmogh

Postby WORFsonofmogh » Sun May 16, 2004 1:28 pm

Hello Again,

I wanted to give an update as to the progress of my move. I finally received a quote from Bekins/Interstate. They gave me a very competitive estimate: $2533 for 2600 lbs. Although this is a very good quote (based on the others) it included some things that worry me. First off, they use the 400M tariff (they call it 412). I have read in some other posts that this does not necessarily mean anything bad. It does mean that they won't charge me the mini-storage fee. But, it does mean that they can charge me for both a long-carry and for stair carries. In fact, the quote included a stair carry. What really worries me is that the agent put me down for 2 flights. This is nonsense. There are 4 steps that lead to the front door of the apartment complex, then there are about 10 steps after that to get to my 2nd floor apartment. Can they actually consider this 2 flights? In additon, even though I told them I would prefer to go through my renter's insurance company, they added a valuation charge. The charge was reasonable, but that is only because they quoted me the cheapest $500 deductible option. I am aslo concerned because, according to one of the other movers, the movers will most likely park the truck on the side of the complex (my apt is right by the front entrance) and then carry everything threough the building to the side entrance. This will most definitely be more than enough for a long carry charge. All these factors, in combination with my first impression of the guy (see my earlier post) cause me to lean in the direction of the Atlas agent. So for now, I am going with the Atlas agent. By the way, I called the Atlas agent to inquire about the multiple truck problem. I must have been mistaken, it must have been one of the other movers who told me about that. He assured me that it is not standard practice for them to change trucks. That makes me feel much better. So, I have reserved the date for my move with Atlas. I will be faxing the signed estimate to them on Monday. If anyone has any comments for me before I take this step, I would appreciate it. Thanks for all of your help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 16, 2004 2:54 pm

Hi,

It sounds to me as if you're on the right track with the Atlas agent. Bekins does use the 400M tariff which allows extra charges for things like stairs and so-called "long carries." Although the FMCSA recently reaffirmed the legal requirement that people have to pay only 100% of a binding estimate and 110% of a non-binding estimate at delivery, it seems to me that there is a lot of room for fiddling around with Bekins, and if I were you I would avoid the uncertainty. Bekins is the lowest-rated major van line on Epinions and some of its agents advertise on www.123movers.com, a website that also lists a large number of scammers.

Regarding using your renter's insurance to protect your things, people have said on this board that State Farm is the only insurance company that would actually protect your things against breakage, surface scrapes or dents, water damage, and so on--i.e. the things that are most likely to befall goods in transit. As far as I know, all of the other renter's or homeowner's insurance policies simply provide catastrophic coverage in case the whole truck burns up, is stolen, or whatever. Someone wrote in to say that even State Farm will protect people's things only within the state where the policy was written (I don't know whether that was accurate or not, but people for whom this is an issue might want to check). The thread where this was discussed is http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1475

Good luck with your move, and please let us know what happens!

Return to “Open Community”