Any advice on compensation for late delivery?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
craggyair

Any advice on compensation for late delivery?

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can offer advice.

Here's the situation. The company I hired to move us is going to be pretty late with our stuff. The contracted deadline is this Wednesday (9/12/07), and they've told me they won't even be loading our stuff from their storage warehouse 'til this Thursday.

But I can't get any info from them about compensation for this. The contract says nothing about rates of comp for delayed delivery, and they say I can't get any info 'til I've filed a claim -- which I can't do 'til the stuff is delivered.

Trouble is, I'm going to be needing some stuff soon, in particular clothes for my job, which I don't have with me. So I'll need to buy this stuff. I'd like to know what kinds of things we can reasonably buy and expect to get reimbursed for. But the company is no help in this regard.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

(PS: I'm not naming the company, or where the delivery is coming from, because they still have my stuff and I'd rather not mention them here by name 'til they no longer have my stuff.)

MusicMom

Re: Any advice on compensation for late delivery?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Not every mover agrees to pay out delivery delay claims. Most of the ones we hear about are agents of major van lines.

Do you have any reason to believe this is a scummy company that might not delivery anytime soon? If so, you might want to purchase a few essential items to tide you over, but not too much.

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 pm

The company has been discussed in these boards. Some say it's disreputable, some say not. (So, pretty much as you'd expect really.) I found them thru the AMSA's mover-locating service, so I was hoping they'd be OK.

One point that may be relevant is that they have apparently contracted another company to haul my stuff. They didn't say upfront that they'd be doing that, but maybe I should've expected it, since they're a local company in the area I've come from, rather than a national company.

At this point I have not much idea how long it'll take, tho' they seem to have spent a lot of time sitting on their hands so far, because we agreed that I would be ready to accept delivery as of 8/1 (no, the '8' isn't a typo), and I find it a bit hard to believe that they couldn't arrange a company to pick my stuff up from their warehouse in a period of over a month. Also it's a long move, interstate. The contract said up to 30 business days for delivery.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 pm

this time of year, movers don't do much ' sitting on their hands' in fact they are usually working about 65 hours a week trying to handle the workload. And if they are a member of AMSA, they are probably not disreputable, maybe they are late, but I haven't heard their side yet.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:03 pm

If they're a member of the AMSA, I'm hoping that are OK, too. While the occassional bonehead gets into their membership ranks, most don't. Why don't you call the AMSA and ask their take on it?

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:03 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:this time of year, movers don't do much ' sitting on their hands' in fact they are usually working about 65 hours a week trying to handle the workload. And if they are a member of AMSA, they are probably not disreputable, maybe they are late, but I haven't heard their side yet.

Just to be clear: yes they are late, as they themselves have admitted. The contracted delivery window ends this Wednesday, and their rep has told me that the company they've contracted to haul my stuff won't be picking up my stuff 'til Thursday this week.

But I agree, I have no evidence they are disreputable at this point. (Their rep did say on one or two occasions that they were currently 'understaffed', as an explanation for slowness of reply to my inquiries. But even that doesn't show they are actually a bad company, I guess.) The main reason I posted here was in case anyone had any thoughts about what kind of reimbursement I could reasonably expect for late delivery.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:05 pm

OK, if they're getting a different mover to finish the job, and they've told you that you can't get a delay claim until you've been delivered and filed a claim, are they saying that they're going to pawn off any and all claims on the subcontractor, or just that you have to wait til the end and see how late it is?

Does the subcontractor have an OK reputation?

Any word on why they took your job if they are currently understaffed?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Usually, dubious companies like the one you're apparently dealing with don't pay anything out on a delay claim. They may promise some minimal amount, but they usually don't pay even that.

As long as your weight is over a certain minimum such as 3500 pounds, reputable moving companies pay anything from $50 to $125/day. The amount is usually higher if the move is an "account" move (arranged and/or paid for by an employer), less if it is a COD move (self-paid). With a reputable company, the delay is rarely more than a week beyond the last day of the delivery spread. This summer I've seen only a couple of shipments that arrived later than that.
Last edited by Diane on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:32 pm

So since we dont yet know the name of the mover, its a little early to call them either disreputable or dubious, in my opinion.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:36 pm

I said "apparently," Archie. But I haven't heard of any reputable companies that put a 30-business-day delivery spread into their contracts, unless maybe the shipment was going to Alaska.

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Diane wrote:I said "apparently," Archie. But I haven't heard of any reputable companies that put a 30-business-day delivery spread into their contracts, unless maybe the shipment was going to Alaska.

Well, I did say it was a long move. Across the country, in fact. So the spread didn't seem unreasonable to me, especially since it was a local company, not one of the big national lines.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 pm

craggyair,

Let's hope for the best, but my advice would be to be very cautious about buying new clothes in expectation of being reimbursed. Personally I would buy the very minimum you can get away with for your work.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:20 pm

MusicMom wrote:If they're a member of the AMSA, I'm hoping that are OK, too. While the occassional bonehead gets into their membership ranks, most don't. Why don't you call the AMSA and ask their take on it?

Well, I'm not sure what I would ask them that would help me at this point, even if they answered. I guess I could ask about the reputability of the company, but it's really too late for me to change companies now.

Or did you have some other question in mind that I could ask AMSA?

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:24 pm

MusicMom wrote:OK, if they're getting a different mover to finish the job, and they've told you that you can't get a delay claim until you've been delivered and filed a claim, are they saying that they're going to pawn off any and all claims on the subcontractor, or just that you have to wait til the end and see how late it is?

Does the subcontractor have an OK reputation?

Any word on why they took your job if they are currently understaffed?

Good questions all. I'm trying to get answers on who the sub-c is, and who I'd be claiming against.

As for the last question -- I don't know. (Tho' I took her to mean their office was understaffed, rather than the actual movers.)

The movers themselves, by the way, were excellent: efficient, polite, took good care of our stuff as they packed it up and took it out. (We packed almost everything ourselves except the big stuff.)

craggyair

Postby craggyair » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 am

MusicMom wrote:OK, if they're getting a different mover to finish the job, and they've told you that you can't get a delay claim until you've been delivered and filed a claim, are they saying that they're going to pawn off any and all claims on the subcontractor, or just that you have to wait til the end and see how late it is?

My contact person confirms that if I make a claim, I'll be dealing with them, not with the sub-contractor. So that's a relief.

I still haven't been told the sub-contractor's name, but my contact said she'd send the info along soon. More ominously, she also said that she herself had called them 4-5 times in the past two days, and hasn't been able to get them to call her back. (They're meant to be collecting our stuff on Thursday.)

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of how compensation for late delivery works? I get the idea that it's a per-diem rate. Is the rate affected by the value of the items being moved? What about by the cost of the items you have to buy for use in the meantime? Does that figure into it at all?

Return to “Open Community”