Moving from new jersey to chicago burb with WOW

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
choate

Moving from new jersey to chicago burb with WOW

Postby choate » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for everyone's help here.
The whole process was almost smooth.

about 2 bedroom apt stuff.
Got 3 quote from ABF, WOW and another moving company.
ABF's 2 relocube around $1500,
To my surprise, the other two estimates were not much more expensive than this (around $1900). And they provide loading, shipping, unloading and also blankets for furnitures. although I do my own packing.

I used WOW for the moving. they only promise less than two weeks delievery. I thought I could mail some of my stuff there to live with and wait for other stuff to come. and later this is the only part that gone wrong.

so two weeks before the moving day I called the post office in my destination town and tried to setup general delievery. And then I mailed my box right away. loaded all the stuff on scheduled moving day (aug 29) and left NJ next morning. arrived on Aug 31 and found the post office does not have my box. What's more, nobody setted up general delivery for me and the person I spoke with on the phone "could not be found".

WOW delivered all my stuff on Sep 6. some of the boxes dented but fortunately only one piece of glass in a picture frame was broken and it was my own fault.

Over all experience with WOW is good. But there was some, slightly, stressful moment. a week before the loading date I just called to confirm the loading time, just found out they can not do it on Aug 29. I was really upset cause I thought this date was settled with the estimater a long time ago. It seems that they do have an internal communication problem between the estimater and the moving coordinator. Lucky for me another family was willing to change the loading date so they can load mine on aug 29. Another thing is that for some reason our moving coordinator does not like me :-). Each time I called her she spoke as little as possible in a sort of harsh tone.

So I guess the suggestion is that WOW is good but be sure to confirm everything, at least twice. And do think twice before using USPS.

I just checked with the post office (I have been doing it daily) and they said they have my box. So it took them almost 4 weeks to ship a box for 800 miles. amazing.

Diane

Re: **Moving from new jersey to chicago burb with WOW

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:45 am

choate wrote:. . . for some reason our moving coordinator does not like me :-). Each time I called her she spoke as little as possible in a sort of harsh tone.

Try not to take it personally. The office people get very stressed out during the summer and are often just trying to move on to the next phone call.

Thanks for this mainly favorable review of WOW and I'll add it to the Superlist linked to below my name. Sorry about your delayed delivery with USPS.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”