ALERT - avoid Morton VanLines (OR)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
udaim2000

ALERT - avoid Morton VanLines (OR)

Postby udaim2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:43 am

does anybody have experience with this company?

farrah7031

Re: mortonvanlines, Portalnd, OR

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:40 am

It appears they've only been licensed to do interstate moves since July of this year. Where are you moving to/from?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:40 am

Well, I found that they advertise on 123movers.com. The DOT number listed there doesn't exist, and the MC number is for Mayflower Van Lines. I went through Mayflower's list of Oregon agents on their website, and Morton is not one of them. I hope this is a mistake, I'm still checking...

What have they told you about themselves already?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:41 am

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:43 am

OK, I see a record for a Morton Vanlines, legal name of Aaron Griffin, licensed only since late July, in Wilsonville, OR. 4 trucks, 3 drivers. DOT#1635775.

Can you call Morton and ask which DOT number they operate under?

udaim2000

Postby udaim2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi,

i see on their website they have listed their DOT# as 1635775

udaim2000

Postby udaim2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi,

I am trying to move from Portland, OR to Houston, TX

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Here are the reviews we have for OR:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7109#77109

Make sure you have someone local come and do an in home estimate for you. It's probably best to stick with companies that have been licensed to do interstate (out of state) moves for more than 3 months.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:14 pm

OK, got them, and got their website. It is the same company I listed above, legal name of Aaron Griffin, licensed July 23, 2007. Barely in service, whatever combined experience their employees might have.

Their driver was given an inspection in Washington State on July 14, 2007, before they had the authority to drive into other states. So they've been proven to operate illegally.

And I really don't like that their ad uses two licenses that are not theirs. The Mayflower one can get them in big trouble.

I think all of this shows that you shouldn't really be trusting them with all your worldly possessions.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:15 pm

Call Swartz, the local United agent, they are a great company and will move in in a professional and efficient manner.

udaim2000

Re: mortonvanlines, Portalnd, OR, LILE Moving Eugene, OR

Postby udaim2000 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Lile Moving is what is used for my move from eugene, OR to Houston, TX.

They charged me $1400 for the move, was really cheap for a single bedroom appartment.

thanks
Udai

Diane

Re: mortonvanlines and Lile, Portland, OR

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks. I added your review of Lile to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

SwedishFish

Re: mortonvanlines and Lile, Portland, OR

Postby SwedishFish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 am

I know this is a little late... but DO NOT BOOK WITH MORTON!!!

This company has a bit of reputation for running unauthorized charges on your credit card once a deposit is provided and You will NEVER see that money back unless you have your credit team work on them. I've seen a few postings online where they did this and then never even showed up on the day of the move. But dont think you'll be able to reach them by phone.... Poor people had to double pay a new mover to keep on schedule..thankfully, I saw this site and a few others where victims told of their sad but consistently poor experiences with this company and opted out on my "totally refundable" contract before the move date. Refundable.... HA!

That being said and speaking as a person who is currently working having AMEX get my money back from Morton....I would highly recommend you avoid this company at all costs!

fishpix

Re: ALERT - avoid Morton VanLines (OR)

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:30 am

Complaints pile up against Newberg mover
Consumers - Company managers say they are fixing staffing and service problems
Friday, February 08, 2008
DANA TIMS
The Oregonian Staff

A Newberg-based moving company is the target of numerous consumer complaints and an unusually scathing assessment from the Better Business Bureau.

The bureau has fielded 11 complaints against Morton VanLines since July, including one filed as recently as Monday, said Eric Jacobson, bureau communications manager.

"It's absolutely rare that we ever find it necessary to single out a company for public criticism," Jacobson said. "We were forced to take this action due to the number and severity of complaints we've been receiving."

Five of the complaints involved delivery issues, he said. The other six focused on service. Eight of the complaints have either not been resolved or the company failed to respond to Better Business Bureau inquiries.

Liz Posnack, Morton VanLines' operations manager, conceded Thursday that recent shake-ups due to a mass firing of drivers, who failed drug tests, have caused problems and delayed shipments. Further delays were caused by an office employee, who has since been fired, "trashing e-mails," Posnack said.

But she defended the company's overall performance and said the problems have since been addressed.

"We've changed our business structure and we've changed a number of practices," Posnack said. "Have we made mistakes? Yes. Have we made efforts to correct those? Yes."

The company's problems with some of its customers have spilled over to the Oregon Department of Transportation, which monitors and regulates moving companies doing business in the state.

Morton VanLines is not authorized to move personal possessions intrastate and has been fined $500 twice in the past six months for violations, said Sally Ridenour, an ODOT spokeswoman. One violation stemmed from the company providing moving services to a customer in Oregon, while the other involved an offer to do so, she said.

The company is authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide interstate moving services, which is where most of the consumer complaints have fallen.

Monica Justus, a Memphis, Tenn., attorney, said she contacted the company in November, after an Internet search, to help move $35,000 worth of personal possessions to Argentina, where she and her family will be living for the next year.

Justus, speaking by phone from Argentina, said their possessions have still not arrived.

"The only things my kids have to wear are the clothes they wore on the trip," she said. "We're having to buy everything we need and have received no word at all when any of this might be resolved."

In addition, Justus said, the Memphis moving company Morton VanLines contracted to help with the move is holding her possessions, claiming they haven't been paid by Morton, and Morton has drafted Justus' Visa account for nearly three times the anticipated price.

Posnack said there were a series of miscommunications, but that Morton VanLines has refunded all of Justus' money. In addition, the company is willing to pay part of the sum being sought by the Memphis movers.

"We've resolved issues with some of the other complainants, as well," she said. "Our records show we're pretty much right on track."

Dana Tims: 503-294-5973; danatims@news.oregonian.com

fishpix

Re: ALERT - avoid Morton VanLines (OR)

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:31 am

Better Business Bureau advises care in selecting moving company
Posted by The Oregonian February 07, 2008 16:45PM
Categories: Breaking News
A Newberg-based moving company is the target of numerous consumer complaints and an unusually scathing assessment from the Better Business Bureau.

The bureau has fielded 11 complaints against Morton Vanlines since July, including one filed as recently as Monday, said Eric Jacobson, bureau communications manager.

"It's absolutely rare that we ever find it necessary to single out a company for public criticism," Jacobson said. "We were forced to take this action due to the number and severity of complaints we've been receiving."

Five of the complaints involved delivery issues, he said. The other six focused on service. Eight of the complaints have either not been resolved or the company failed to respond to Better Business Bureau inquiries.

Liz Posnack, Morton Vanlines' operations manager, conceded Thursday that recent shake-ups due to a mass firing of drivers, who failed drug tests, have caused problems and delayed shipments. Further delays were caused by an office employee, who has since been fired, "trashing e-mails," Posnack said.

But she defended the company's overall performance and said past problems have since been addressed.

"We've changed our business structure and we've changed a number of practices," Posnack said. "Have we made mistakes? Yes. Have we made efforts to correct those? Yes."

The company's problems with some of its customers have spilled over to the Oregon Department of Transportation, which monitors and regulates moving companies doing business in the state.

Morton Vanlines is not authorized to move personal possessions intrastate and has been twice been fined $500 in the past six months for violations, said Sally Ridenour, an ODOT spokeswoman. One violation stemmed from the company's actually providing moving services to a customer in Oregon, while the other involved an offer to do so, she said.

The company is authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide interstate moving services, which is where most of the consumer complaints have fallen.

Monica Justus, a Memphis, Tenn. attorney, said she contacted the company in November, following an Internet search, to help move $35,000 worth of personal possessions to Argentina, where she and her family will be living for the next year.

Justus, speaking by phone from Argentina, said the container has still not arrived.

"The only things my kids have to wear are the clothes they wore on the trip," she said. "We're having to buy everything we need and have received no word at all when any of this might be resolved."

In addition, Justus said, the Memphis moving company Morton Vanlines contracted to help with the move is holding her possessions, claiming they haven't been paid by Morton, and Morton Vanlines' has drafted Justus' VISA account for nearly three times the anticipated price.

Posnack said there were a series of miscommunications, but that Morton Vanlines already has refunded Justus all of her money. In addition, the company is willing to pay part of the sum being sought by the Memphis movers.

"We've resolved issues with some of the other complainants, as well,'' she said. "Our records show we're pretty much right on track."

--Dana Tims;
danatims@news.oregonian.com

Return to “Open Community”