**Philly area move? & reviews

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
shelb19446

**Philly area move? & reviews

Postby shelb19446 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 am

We are thinking about going with Hammers moving (Telford PA) for our move. Their in-home estimate was reasonable. I've seen them around town for years so I know they've been around. They have a new valuation policy that appears to be like the others. I've looked them up on BBB and Safersys.org and they seem ok.

There are 3 complaints about them in 36 months. Is that a normal number????

We are getting another quote from O'Brien -- Allied on Monday. Any thoughts on them would be appreciated. We are only 2 weeks from moving day and are looking for a new mover.

Below are reviews on movers I've spoken with/ met with:
Hughes United - We were originally planning on going with hughes. We really liked the estimator John and the positive reviews I heard. However, their customer service skills are lacking. Out of the 4 voicemails I left them over about 2 weeks, not a single one was returned (they were left for 2 differnet people). I had to call back each time. They were supposed to send me the contract via email. When it didn't come I called back and the moving coordinator stated that the email was returned. Call me crazy -- I would have thought they would have called me if they wanted my business. My last call to them was in regards to a question about the contract. If they can't return my call about that, I'm not signing it!!!!!
Jensen --- The woman I spoke to refused to give an in-home estimate and the phone estimate was not thorough. When I asked for an in-home estimate she said "I just gave you an estimate"
Clemmer--- Their weekend rate was time and a half which I thought was ridiculous since none of the other movers I spoke with did this.
Shelly -- they did a very detailed phone estimate -- Their estimate was close to double the 3 estimates I had done in-house
Wares United - All of the other movers we spoke to gave us 3 men. Wares estimate was for 4 men. Using only 4 men put us only an hour about their minimum which left us little room if they overestimated. Additionally, their packaging price (for mattress covers and mirror covers) was double the other two estimates

This site is great!!!!!! Thanks for all of the great information! :lol:

shelb19446

Re: *Philly area move? & reviews

Postby shelb19446 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:35 am

follow-up:

O'briens gave us an inhome estimate. the estimator was much more thorough than the others. We have a large glass coffee table and he insisted that it be put in a wooden crate, not cardboard like the others suggested. He asked what kind of mattress we had and when he discovered it was a tempurpedic insisted that it be boxed and transported flat since it could be damaged if left on its side.

The price was comparable to the other estimates we received so we are going with them. I'll follow-up after we move.

btw.. we discovered that Hammers requires a deposit to hold the date for your move. We thought this was odd since none of the other movers do.

shelb19446

Re: *Philly area move? & reviews

Postby shelb19446 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 pm

As a follow-up I used O'briens twice now. The first time they were absolutely excellent. However, the most recent time they were very disorganized. The movers were fine when once they showed up (late may I add) but I have to admit I was concerned whether or not they were going to show. I asked the movers what was going on and they said there had been a lot of layoffs. That explained a lot!

Return to “Open Community”