Results of My Move to NY from SF with Chipman

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sproiing

Results of My Move to NY from SF with Chipman

Postby sproiing » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm

I just wanted to report back about my move a few weeks ago- although I still don't have internet access in my apartment, I have all of my belongings in perfect condition! Chipman was a great company. My driver, John came and picked my stuff up with the shuttle and the two guys he brought with him were very nice. Everything was treated with great care and they were in and out in two hours. (Mind you I don't have a lot of stuff...) He told me he would be personally delivering my belongings on the other end on the first day of the window, which was the day I was arriving, so the timing was perfect. I thought I'd have to wait a week.

While on the road, I got a call from John informing me that he had some mechanical difficulties with the truck and would not be able to deliver on that day. I thought for sure that I'd be left without my stuff for a long time, but by the time I was driving through New Jersey, he called and said he had just dropped my things off with the agent in Hoboken (he had to be in DC that afternoon otherwise he'd deliver it himself) and they would arrange delivery for that week. My things were delivered the next day, only one day later than John originally promised, even with his truck troubles! And the guys who delivered were awesome! I moved into a fourth floor walk-up and they hauled those boxes up like it was nothing. And always polite! AND everything arrived in one piece- even my Ikea particle board side tables which I had to sigh a waiver for. They even put my bed back together and put it where I wanted it.

Finally, the best news, Kevin quoted my weight too high (which was what I was hoping for when I picked Chipman over the lower Allied quote) and it came in at 2480 rather than 2900 lbs. I got $500 back, which brought the total in only slightly over Allied. Well worth the extra money for the peace of mind!

I highly recommend Chipman to anyone who's moving out of the Bay Area, and if I knew the name of the agent they used here in Hoboken, I'd totally recommend them too! They all made what I was expecting to be a nightmare into a breeze!

Lainie

farrah7031

Re: **Results of My Move to NY from SF with Chipman

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks for the final report! For those of you interested, here is the original post:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14336

Diane

Re: **Results of My Move to NY from SF with Chipman

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks for this rave review, Lainie, which I'll add to the Superlist linked to below my name. I assume that you dealt with the Alameda office of Chipman. If anyone reading this can figure out who the good agent was in Hoboken, please let me know so I can give them credit. I have a feeling that it may have been Holman.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”