Morton Van Lines International

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
OfftoDublin

Morton Van Lines International

Postby OfftoDublin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:32 am

Has anyone ever heard of this company? Any Reviews? I am considering using them for a move.

Thanks,

hardatwork

Re: Morgan International

Postby hardatwork » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am

Can you please include more information concerning which company you are asking about? There are several companies in the US with this name. What is the company's FMC OTI Number?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:51 am

<removed post>

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 am

The one mentioned here, from hallendale FL, has been clsoed down for a while, so you're not dealing with them at least.

If you have even an address, phone number, or website, that can help us narrow down which one you're asking about.

OfftoDublin

Postby OfftoDublin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks for all of your help. Here is some more information:

http://www.mortonvanlines.com/

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 am

Oh, MorTON Van Lines.

Got some recent info on them here, I would personally suggest continuing to look.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14820

They're barely able to do an interstate move, and they don't have a license to perform or arrange an international move for you.

farrah7031

Re: [Morton Van Lines] International

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 am

Read this article and contact the 4 international shipping agents we endorse and request an in home estimate:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/internationalMove.shtml

fishpix

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:01 am

Complaints pile up against Newberg mover
Consumers - Company managers say they are fixing staffing and service problems
Friday, February 08, 2008
DANA TIMS
The Oregonian Staff

A Newberg-based moving company is the target of numerous consumer complaints and an unusually scathing assessment from the Better Business Bureau.

The bureau has fielded 11 complaints against Morton VanLines since July, including one filed as recently as Monday, said Eric Jacobson, bureau communications manager.

"It's absolutely rare that we ever find it necessary to single out a company for public criticism," Jacobson said. "We were forced to take this action due to the number and severity of complaints we've been receiving."

Five of the complaints involved delivery issues, he said. The other six focused on service. Eight of the complaints have either not been resolved or the company failed to respond to Better Business Bureau inquiries.

Liz Posnack, Morton VanLines' operations manager, conceded Thursday that recent shake-ups due to a mass firing of drivers, who failed drug tests, have caused problems and delayed shipments. Further delays were caused by an office employee, who has since been fired, "trashing e-mails," Posnack said.

But she defended the company's overall performance and said the problems have since been addressed.

"We've changed our business structure and we've changed a number of practices," Posnack said. "Have we made mistakes? Yes. Have we made efforts to correct those? Yes."

The company's problems with some of its customers have spilled over to the Oregon Department of Transportation, which monitors and regulates moving companies doing business in the state.

Morton VanLines is not authorized to move personal possessions intrastate and has been fined $500 twice in the past six months for violations, said Sally Ridenour, an ODOT spokeswoman. One violation stemmed from the company providing moving services to a customer in Oregon, while the other involved an offer to do so, she said.

The company is authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide interstate moving services, which is where most of the consumer complaints have fallen.

Monica Justus, a Memphis, Tenn., attorney, said she contacted the company in November, after an Internet search, to help move $35,000 worth of personal possessions to Argentina, where she and her family will be living for the next year.

Justus, speaking by phone from Argentina, said their possessions have still not arrived.

"The only things my kids have to wear are the clothes they wore on the trip," she said. "We're having to buy everything we need and have received no word at all when any of this might be resolved."

In addition, Justus said, the Memphis moving company Morton VanLines contracted to help with the move is holding her possessions, claiming they haven't been paid by Morton, and Morton has drafted Justus' Visa account for nearly three times the anticipated price.

Posnack said there were a series of miscommunications, but that Morton VanLines has refunded all of Justus' money. In addition, the company is willing to pay part of the sum being sought by the Memphis movers.

"We've resolved issues with some of the other complainants, as well," she said. "Our records show we're pretty much right on track."

Dana Tims: 503-294-5973; danatims@news.oregonian.com

fishpix

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 am

Better Business Bureau advises care in selecting moving company
Posted by The Oregonian February 07, 2008 16:45PM
Categories: Breaking News
A Newberg-based moving company is the target of numerous consumer complaints and an unusually scathing assessment from the Better Business Bureau.

The bureau has fielded 11 complaints against Morton Vanlines since July, including one filed as recently as Monday, said Eric Jacobson, bureau communications manager.

"It's absolutely rare that we ever find it necessary to single out a company for public criticism," Jacobson said. "We were forced to take this action due to the number and severity of complaints we've been receiving."

Five of the complaints involved delivery issues, he said. The other six focused on service. Eight of the complaints have either not been resolved or the company failed to respond to Better Business Bureau inquiries.

Liz Posnack, Morton Vanlines' operations manager, conceded Thursday that recent shake-ups due to a mass firing of drivers, who failed drug tests, have caused problems and delayed shipments. Further delays were caused by an office employee, who has since been fired, "trashing e-mails," Posnack said.

But she defended the company's overall performance and said past problems have since been addressed.

"We've changed our business structure and we've changed a number of practices," Posnack said. "Have we made mistakes? Yes. Have we made efforts to correct those? Yes."

The company's problems with some of its customers have spilled over to the Oregon Department of Transportation, which monitors and regulates moving companies doing business in the state.

Morton Vanlines is not authorized to move personal possessions intrastate and has been twice been fined $500 in the past six months for violations, said Sally Ridenour, an ODOT spokeswoman. One violation stemmed from the company's actually providing moving services to a customer in Oregon, while the other involved an offer to do so, she said.

The company is authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide interstate moving services, which is where most of the consumer complaints have fallen.

Monica Justus, a Memphis, Tenn. attorney, said she contacted the company in November, following an Internet search, to help move $35,000 worth of personal possessions to Argentina, where she and her family will be living for the next year.

Justus, speaking by phone from Argentina, said the container has still not arrived.

"The only things my kids have to wear are the clothes they wore on the trip," she said. "We're having to buy everything we need and have received no word at all when any of this might be resolved."

In addition, Justus said, the Memphis moving company Morton Vanlines contracted to help with the move is holding her possessions, claiming they haven't been paid by Morton, and Morton Vanlines' has drafted Justus' VISA account for nearly three times the anticipated price.

Posnack said there were a series of miscommunications, but that Morton Vanlines already has refunded Justus all of her money. In addition, the company is willing to pay part of the sum being sought by the Memphis movers.

"We've resolved issues with some of the other complainants, as well,'' she said. "Our records show we're pretty much right on track."

--Dana Tims;
danatims@news.oregonian.com

fishpix

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 am

BBB Warns Consumers to be Careful when Selecting Relocation Companies

2/5/2008

Better Business Bureau is warning consumers to be careful when selecting a relocation company. Morton Vanlines, a relocation company based in Oregon, has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB.

Morton Vanlines has locations in both Newberg and Sherwood, Oregon. The BBB has fielded 11 complaints since July 2007: 5 delivery issues and 6 service issues. 8 of these complaints were either not resolved or Morton Vanlines did not respond to BBB inquiries.

Some consumers have told the BBB that their moves have taken months longer than the initial estimate and, in some cases, that they have never received their items. Complainants also allege a great deal of difficulty in reaching a representative at Morton Vanlines to inquire about their move.

Planning a move from one home to another can be a complicated and often confusing process. It can be intimidating to pack all of your valuables and belongings into boxes and risk having your items become damaged. Relocation companies are a tempting alternative to doing it yourself.

Here are some tips to consider when selecting a relocation company:

Talk to people. Ask your friends, family and business associates about their experiences with different relocation companies. Chances are that someone you know will be able to give you a reassuring referral to a company that provided a good relocation experience or at least warn you against using an unreliable one.

Contact more than one company for estimates. Reliable and responsible relocation companies provide free estimates in paper. Contact multiple companies and request estimates. If the relocation company seems hesitant to provide a confirmed estimate in paper, they may not be reputable.

Make sure the estimates you receive are accurate. Reliable relocation companies will send a representative to your home to review all of the specific items that you want to move. If the relocation company gives you an estimate without looking at your actual items, they may not be reputable.

Verify the relocation company you intend to use is an Oregon Trusted Carrier Partner. The Oregon Department of Transportation maintains a list of Trusted Carrier Partners accessible online at http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/TCP.shtml. In order to qualify, motor carriers must comply with standards and regulations maintained by the State of Oregon.

Check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Visit http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ to verify that the relocation company you intend to use is properly registered with the FMCSA.

Consult your local BBB. Go to www.bbb.org to get a free reliability report on a moving company. The Better Business Bureau's reliability reports provide free, valuable information on thousands of companies in your local area.

###

About BBB serving Alaska, Oregon, and Western Washington
Your Better Business Bureau is a not-for-profit organization funded by BBB accredited businesses. The mission of BBB is to promote the highest ethical marketplace relationship between businesses and consumers through self-regulation, education, and information. For more information about the services and products provided by your BBB, call (206) 431-2222 or (253) 830-2924 in Western Washington, (503) 212-3022 in Oregon or (907) 562-0704 in Alaska, or visit our Web site at www.bbb.org.

fishpix

Postby fishpix » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:28 am

My Morton Van Lines Story....

I got a new job in California and my new employer was paying for the move. I contacted several shipping companies and Morton offered reasonable rates, not the cheapest but not the most expensive. When I wanted their business they had great customer service. I did notice it was hard to get through to them on the phone.

I did research on several moving companies and Morton's record looked clean. Stupid me I didn't check with the BBB but I did internet research and found very few complaints about Morton compared to several of the other moving companies that I researched.

The Morton folks claim they bill by the estimated square foot, not by weight and that all charges are upfront. I was given personal guarantees that my pickup would be on Jan 23 and my delivery in CA on Jan 26. Stupid me, I believed them.

On Jan 23 Morton showed up in a uhaul rental truck, about 45 mins late. Two very kind men showed me ID, filled out paperwork, and claimed that their truck had a flat tire but they wanted to get to me so they arranged for the uhaul. They claimed they would take my stuff (4bed, 2bath home) to their warehouse for packing on a truck. They were polite, kind, professional, and took about 3 hours to take apart furniture and move everything. They claimed my items took up more square footage than the estimate and charged me an extra $600. They took the entire contents of my (and my family's) life.

The 26th came and went, no movers. I had called 3 separate times and verified the 26th arrival date. I had personal guarantees from employees via telephone and was confidant (stupid me) that they would be there for a simple 10 hr drive, 600 mile move.

On the 28th of Jan, I called Morton wondering where my things were. They told me they had a few problems but that they would be there on the 30th. On the 30th things didn't show. I called again. I was told the 31st. On the 31st they didn't show. I called again and was told Feb 3. Same story. I kept calling and pressuring them and kept getting another "guaranteed firm delivery date" The promised date on Feb 5 came and went. The promised date on Feb 7 came and went. On Feb 8 a subcontractor showed up and delivered 4 pallets of boxes but no furniture. They refused to unpack it. I called Morton and they sent out another subcontractor to unpack those pallets. That subcontractor refused to take the garbage, empty pallets, or boxes with them.

Morton claimed the furniture was just a couple of days behind the rest of the stuff. The promises continued and were broken. The Oregonian stories I posted showed up and alarms went off. Finally after many many many more broken promises and guaranteed dates we confirmed through Schnieder shipping that they were hired as a subcontractor and would be delivering 6 pallets. Morton claimed Tuesday the 12th of Feb as a delivery date. Tuesday came and went. Morton claimed later in the week. Schneider confirmed Friday Feb 15. Morton claims that they will send someone out to unpack our stuff when it arrives. I don't believe them.

I have been dealing with them on the phone and spoken a couple of times with Liz who claims she is the operations manager. we tried negotiating a settlement and refund but she is now avoiding my calls.

This company IMHO is going under. I'm glad my stuff is with a subcontractor and I will post an update when my stuff arrives. I'm not going to be surprised if I have to pay the subcontractor.

Avoid Morton Van Lines... My family and I have been living in CA for 3 weeks now using camping air mattresses and feeling helpless... I'm tired, sore, and want my money back. I'll keep you posted on how this saga ends. :x

fishpix

Postby fishpix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 am

So the remainder of the saga...

a moving truck arrived without notification to us, just showed up. The driver (subcontractor) claimed that he thought we were a business with a loading dock and refused to unload the truck because we didn't have a loading dock. He gave us 15 mins to unload the truck ourselves. He actually stayed 35 mins.

I emailed a claim for the many damaged goods to Morton with a letter of complaint. I have yet to get a response. When I call, I can't seem to get a hold of anyone who can make a decision. So no refund, no claims refund, no contact.

I think this company is going under.... I'm just glad we got our stuff.

It may be time soon to pursue other options if they don't get back to me.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Well here, bypass Morton and go directly to their insurance company:

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

UNDERWRITERS AT LLOYDS LONDON
Attn: LLOYD'S ILLINOIS INC
Address: 181 W. MADISON, SUITE 3870
CHICAGO, IL US 60602
Telephone: (312) 407 - 6214
Fax: (312) 407 - 6629

Policy/Surety#0510NEKBDKU070565
Posted Date: 01/14/2008
Effective date: 07/09/2007

fishpix

Re: **[Morton Van Lines] International

Postby fishpix » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:36 pm

So another update...

both local newberg phone numbers are "disconnected or no longer in service." Phone number found on the internet for their sherwood warehouse , the guy who answered claimed it was a wrong number. Their toll free number is still active but EVERY extension including dispatch goes to voicemail.

I had a relative go by their listed address today. Their published address is a private residence in newberg oregon. A new dodge pickup was in the driveway, the home appeared to be lived in. Nobody answered to repeated knocks.

tomorrow my relative is going to check their sherwood address out.

I am filing complaints and now that I know the residence is lived in, should I not have any luck I know where to send the process server

MusicMom

Re: **[Morton Van Lines] International

Postby MusicMom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm betting 16004 SW Tualatin Sherwood Rd Ste 188 Sherwood, OR 97140-8521 is a rental mailbox store. Yep:
The UPS Store #2755, 16004 SW Tualatin-Sherwood Rd, Sherwood

Return to “International Moves”