Beware of O'Neil Relocation (United Van Lines Agent)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
pilarzmom

Beware of O'Neil Relocation (United Van Lines Agent)

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:16 pm

:cry:

O'Neil did a decent job overall with our move from California to Colorado. Competitive quote, although they tried to pull a fast one and give us a non-binding estimate. We got them to re-write it as a binding not to exceed. As it turned out, we came in lower than the estimate.

The packers were on-time and did a very good job of packing everything. However, we were horrified to find out that O'Neil didn't yet have a truck for us, so everything went into storage in Fremont, CA. They packed on June 25 and we'd been told that originally we'd get our stuff by July 5. Well, July 5 came and went and our stuff still wasn't on the truck. We finally got our stuff after United Corporate got involved and got another United agent to pick it up and we finally got our stuff mid-July. No issues with these guys (Mesa Systems) but we were very disappointed with O'Neil. Our piano's sound board cracked and we attribute this to it being in a questionable storage warehouse without humidity controls (they crack when going from a humid to dry environment). Fortunately the piano was under warranty. But living without stuff for 3 weeks was a big inconveniece.

Beware if you're moving in summer--your stuff may get picked up but it may not go anywhere!

Michael

Re: Beware of O'Neil Relocation (United Van Lines Agent)

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:42 pm

I am not quit sure why your saying beware of O'Neil. They are a very good agent for United. You ran into a typical situation that occurs with smaller shipments in the summertime with movers, not just United or O'Neil.

I do agree that perhaps they should have gotten corporate involved a little quicker with your shipment if they didnt initially.

In regards to your comments on the piano, they nor any other mover can control the environment with humid and dry air. Especially since it was in a truck with no humidty controls ither. So I dont think its the fault of the mover for your piano cracking. I am guessing that would have happened one way or another.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 pm

June 25th to July 5, the absolutely worst possible time to schedule any kind of move...local, long distance, anything. Please pick one of the other 50.5 weeks to do your move, you won't be sorry. Friends don't let friends move between June 25 and July 5.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Must agree with Michael. Most of your problem wasn't with O'Neil but with the vanline. O'Neil would not have been responsible for shipping your items from CA to CO - that responsibility falls to the vanline and the fact it sat in a warehouse for 3 weeks isn't O'Neil's fault. This is a common problem in the summer - though this year the documented problems with most small shipments happened on westward traveled shipments, not eastward traveling. You did choose the busiest time of year, and the level of business caught just about every vanline off-guard, except one, and that one simply said NO when asked to do a move during that period.

Fremont isn't exactly a dry environment from what I can remember - unless the warehouse is fully air-conditioned and the AC unit is so efficient, it just sucked all of the moisture out of the warehouse. I can't imagine that being the case given the size of the warehouse and the energy needed to do something like that.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Michael wrote:I am not quit sure why your saying beware of O'Neil. They are a very good agent for United. You ran into a typical situation that occurs with smaller shipments in the summertime with movers, not just United or O'Neil.

I do agree that perhaps they should have gotten corporate involved a little quicker with your shipment if they didnt initially.

In regards to your comments on the piano, they nor any other mover can control the environment with humid and dry air. Especially since it was in a truck with no humidty controls ither. So I dont think its the fault of the mover for your piano cracking. I am guessing that would have happened one way or another.

My shipment certainly wasn't small (4 bedroom house). My beef is certainly with the O'Neil agent in not be forthcoming about the schedule. We would have considered adjusting our schedule or packing differently so we wouldn't have been left so high and dry for 3 weeks. Their agent represents United so to me it's one and the same.

As for the piano, I did get a new one and lucky for United they didn't have to pay for it. Yes, according to several experts I talked to who know pianos, they felt the warehouse situation was most likely where it cracked.

Of course I have every right to have a beef with O'Neil. They sat on their butts. It is ultimately their problem in my book.

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Jim wrote:Must agree with Michael. Most of your problem wasn't with O'Neil but with the vanline. O'Neil would not have been responsible for shipping your items from CA to CO - that responsibility falls to the vanline and the fact it sat in a warehouse for 3 weeks isn't O'Neil's fault. This is a common problem in the summer - though this year the documented problems with most small shipments happened on westward traveled shipments, not eastward traveling. You did choose the busiest time of year, and the level of business caught just about every vanline off-guard, except one, and that one simply said NO when asked to do a move during that period.

Fremont isn't exactly a dry environment from what I can remember - unless the warehouse is fully air-conditioned and the AC unit is so efficient, it just sucked all of the moisture out of the warehouse. I can't imagine that being the case given the size of the warehouse and the energy needed to do something like that.

Whatever! The O'Neil agent is the one who came to my house, schedule my move, lied to my face. It is his fault. I cannot tolerate BS! And that's what it is. That's why these message boards exist so other consumer don't fall to the BS agents feed consumers. They make a a HUGE deal about promising to pick up on such and such date. What they don't tell you is that there's no GUARANTEE that they'll even get it on a truck. In my book that's O'Neil's issue. DISHONEST!

If you come and quote me, be honest, don't lie, don't jump around the truth. If the agent knows the business he would tell the truth.

And you honestly have no clue about pianos. I would never have let my piano get on that truck had I known it was going to sit in their warehouse for 3 weeks.

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:11 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:June 25th to July 5, the absolutely worst possible time to schedule any kind of move...local, long distance, anything. Please pick one of the other 50.5 weeks to do your move, you won't be sorry. Friends don't let friends move between June 25 and July 5.

Well if it is so bad, the agents won't tell you that. They don't care, they just want your money and don't give a crap if you stuff sits in storage for 3 weeks.

Honestly, when I was driving to Colorado I saw lots of moving vans going across the country. JUST NOT MINE!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:12 pm

OK, you got a bad move, but Oneil is a good company....not a scammer. If every salesperson that lied was lined up and shot, you couldn't buy a car, new or used, anywhere in the US. I wonder how the piano got from the piano factory, to the piano store, without being on trucks and in warehouses for a few weeks? Just curious.

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:27 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:OK, you got a bad move, but Oneil is a good company....not a scammer. If every salesperson that lied was lined up and shot, you couldn't buy a car, new or used, anywhere in the US. I wonder how the piano got from the piano factory, to the piano store, without being on trucks and in warehouses for a few weeks? Just curious.

Why do you keep protecting O'Neil? Do you work for them or United? Geez. Did you ever get moved by them? Define scammer. In my book they scammed me. Sucked me in with the lowest quote and sat on my stuff.

Of course pianos sit in warehouses, but good piano movers know that proper storage in a humidity controlled environment is essential. I just got my new piano that came from Tennessee. Not one crack. Because the guys who moved it didn't stick in a warehouse without humidity control fro 3 weeks.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Yes, I work for United. So you are saying that if that piano was manufactured in Switzerland or somewhere, that it would have to be shipped on a climate controlled boat?

ChrisL

Re: ^Beware of O'Neil Relocation (United Van Lines Agent)

Postby ChrisL » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I remember scheduling a move from Miami to Colorado Springs with a baby grand and that sound board cracked also- it wasn't in storage though at either end- the piano didn't have a scratch on it and the piano repair people stated that it was simply the difference in humidity between Miami and Colorado-

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:Yes, I work for United. So you are saying that if that piano was manufactured in Switzerland or somewhere, that it would have to be shipped on a climate controlled boat?

Finally! Full disclosure!

Archie, I have no idea. This is what the mfg told me but they do know that piano sound boards are prone to cracking if not moved with the utmost planning and care. That's why they recommend specialized piano movers. Fortunately my piano was under warranty and despite their concern over the unknown storage issue, they covered the full replacement.

Lucky for United.

What it boils down to is this: only I am able to rate O'Neil based on my moving experiences. If I say O'Neil let me down, they let me down. It's no one else's place to judge.

pilarzmom

Postby pilarzmom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 pm

ChrisL wrote:I remember scheduling a move from Miami to Colorado Springs with a baby grand and that sound board cracked also- it wasn't in storage though at either end- the piano didn't have a scratch on it and the piano repair people stated that it was simply the difference in humidity between Miami and Colorado-

And that is why they recommend (I just discovered) either humidifiers in Colorado, or de-humidifiers in Florida for baby grands. They actually have special units that can be mounted within the piano. Haven't investigated this yet. But room units are fine too.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm just guessing, but I have to wonder how different the humidity level is in a warehouse in Fremont, Ca vs. a home that is 1-15 miles away from it; or for that matter in any city. I would think that unless you controlled the humidity in your home where your piano sat the readings would not be that different. Now lets take it a step further, say the shipment gets picked up directly and gets to Colorado in 4 days. We all know that the truck is not temperature or humidity controlled, so even if you have the humidifier running the second that the piano gets in the door, its still been subject to even dryer conditions coming over I-70 to get to your house. So at what point does the wood actually crack?? I'm thinking in the truck on the freeway at about the Vail exit- And I also believe that most major vanlines do not cover damage to climactic conditions; so you probably lucked out completely with the piano warranty. But this brings to mind what is a likely alternative for future piano owners moving their instrument to the Kalispell' s and Denver's of our country from humid areas. I'm wondering how much it costs for a piano mover to move a piano in a climate controlled vehicle long distance . I bet it is a small fortune.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:52 pm

I'm just guessing, but I have to wonder how different the humidity level is in a warehouse in Fremont, Ca vs. a home that is 1-15 miles away from it; or for that matter in any city.

Chris, you just hit the nail on the head. There is no material difference which is why the entire humidity line of reasoning provided by the OP is problematic (aside from the fault assigned to O'Neil); there would simply be no way humidity levels would change in that short a distance.

We used to have a 3rd party perform piano moving services and then billed the mover directly (we did this not just for pianos, but for something more common - like large wine collections - where temp and humidity needed to be constant in order for the wine to not be destroyed) for the service. For the consumer without price sensitivity - this wasn't a problem (though it was always a problem for us because we always had difficulty negotiating assumption of liability in case of excessive heat, or other climate issues with the 3rd party). For the mover who had an allowance to live by - this was an issue...... and eventually the consumer decided to just have the moving company perform the service and had the consumer choose the highest amount of valuation possible that they could afford.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”