CA to Id with Excellent Golden Eagle Movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
makjvr

CA to Id with Excellent Golden Eagle Movers

Postby makjvr » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:52 am

Letter of Recommendation for Golden Eagle Moving 10/1/2007

This is a letter of recommendation for Golden Eagle Moving Services, Inc of 1450 North Benson Avenue, Upland, CA 91786.

This is also a letter of appreciation to the many contributors of the web site MovingScam.com.

Preliminary Information:
First let me start with MovingScam.com; never in my many years of getting information online have I ever found a website that was so useful. After dealing for a short time with online moving brokers and their recommended moving companies I was lucky enough to stumble onto MovingScam.com. For the first time in planning my major move from Southern California to North Idaho I started to relax. To the best of my ability I followed every bit of advice I could find on the website. This information, from the methods of picking a moving company, soliciting Binding Not to Exceed Bids, checking BBB ratings & DOT data, (etc., etc) I used to pick what I consider to be an outstanding moving company: Golden Eagle Moving Services, Inc. The rest of this submittal will amount to an outline of the steps taken and observations made during the process for whatever use it may be to people moving from Southern California in the future.

Preparation:
After securing a new residence in Idaho early August 2007, I selected four moving companies from the list of companies with recommendations from contributors to MovingScam.com.

I sent each of these companies a document resembling a Statement of Work that included our moving requirements as I saw them, pictures of the move from and move to residences along with photos of the potential difficulties (i.e., stairs, access to rental storage facility, etc). I requested a call to arrange on site inspections and cost estimates. I let them know about our preferred move dates, etc.

Each of the companies responded immediately and dates for appointments were made. I was very impressed with the experience, knowledge and general professionalism of each of the representatives. All of the estimates were close to each other (within several hundred dollars of each other in the $8,500 range which included some professional packing services, several shuttle services and a weight estimate in the 16 to 17 thousand pounds range). Our chosen representative from Golden Eagle was Doug Sholten, who along with being very accurate, was very helpful in his suggestions and who responded with a “BOUND Estimate” (Option C – COMPARISON of BOUND vs. ACTUAL) between United Van Lines LLC and Shipper, without any special prodding (earning him points on my rating scale).

Selecting the final mover was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. I know I picked the best moving company because the excellent results speak for themselves (However, I am fairly certain the results would have been similar had I picked one of the other companies, the results of my weighted scale decision matrix plus subjective/gut feel methods being so close).

I made the decision and contacted Stacey Krieger (Lead Coordinator) at Golden Eagle who finalized the paper work, facilitated payment by Credit Card and got the ball rolling. She was great and we thank her. This was accomplished by 8/29/07 in preparation for a September 17 pickup and September 24/25 delivery.

Moving Day:
(Side note: My wife and I are admitted packrats. Also no matter how hard we worked we were not totally prepared by the time moving day arrived. We were both frazzeled by several days of sleep deprivation and general frustration with our own inadequate following of our self imposed schedules. In summary we were embarrassed by our lack of preparation and the sheer amount of stuff we were asking these guys to accomplish).

Then Nick (Nick Jaloma, the Lead Helper) came in and put our worst fears to bed by stating “this is going to be a Piece-of Cake”. This was followed up shortly by Victor Munoz (the Driver) who sized up the job and repeated to assure us they had the job under control. It was not a Piece-of-Cake, to be sure. It was a hard days work to move all our junk downstairs to the shuttle van taking several trips to the Large Van and an extra shuttle trip to our storage unit. The other Helpers along with Victor and Nick were Ralph Ochoa, Fabian Garcia and Mark Howard. A better bunch of good natured, friendly, cooperative individuals doing such hard physical work would be hard to find. They were excellent, they put us at ease and we thank them.

Additionally all trucks were marked with company markings and DOT ID numbers. The crew were very easy to communicate with and wore company uniforms, something that I had not read or heard about, but added to their professionalism.

During Transit:
We used Victor’s cell phone number provided to us to contact him once during his trip to Idaho. We then realized it was easier to not bug him and to use the GPS method of tracking the shipment.

Shipment Arrival Day:
As predicted by Victor, he arrived on schedule the 25th. Once again Victor’s Helpers, Bobby Rockefeller and Duane Swanson were excellent. This smaller crew had a little easier job of it (no stairs and no shuttles required) but was nonetheless a very hard working, friendly crew and we thank them.

Summary:
After reading of the HORROR stories about moving on MovingScam.com I wanted to cancel our move. This was not an option however, so I went to work learning just enough to be dangerous but followed the good advice available. This resulted in what can only be called a very successful relocation with an outstanding company: Golden Eagle Moving Services.

Finally, because of the disarray of our household goods and many boxes (some hidden from view during the weight estimating/bidding process) an accurate estimate was impossible. During the actual weigh in at the scales our shipment turned out a little lighter than predicted which resulted in a several hundred dollar decrease in the final total bill.

John Rank

smatwilly

Re: **CA to Id with Excellent Golden Eagle Movers

Postby smatwilly » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:16 pm

Summary:
After reading of the HORROR stories about moving on MovingScam.com I wanted to cancel our move. This was not an option however...

I really hope this site doesnt actually turn people away from using moving companies---I hope it stresses more towards educating ones self with the knowledge to know how to go about "finding" the right moving company.

I have sat here today in my office-nope, no estimates today--& read so many stories--I really hope that more people dont think to do what the above Summary says-----I hope it is made obvious that it is just as much fault of the consumer as it is of the supplier for not doing their homework & being "cheap" by going with the cheapest price...........

makjvr

Postby makjvr » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Please re-read the entire post. Perhaps you will arrive at a different conclusion regarding my intent.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:57 am

Golden Eagle is an excellent United agent. You should cut and paste your post and send it to Golden Eagle. I'm sure the crew would love to read that their work was appreciated.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

smatwilly

Makjvr

Postby smatwilly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:07 am

I thought your post was wonderful & I was thrilled to hear something so positive---my only concern is how many people actually go ahead & cancel their move or dont use a mover because of the horror stories---You were ahead of the game by educating yourself. Very smart on your part! I wish more people did what you did prior to getting estimates.

As you now know, moving is SO stressful! I think you helped lift some of the stress by doing what you did! Kudos to you!! I hope you are settling in & enjoying your new home!! :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks, John, for taking the time to post this excellent, detailed review of Golden Eagle. I've added it to the Superlist linked to below my name, including the names of all the people you praised in your review.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

consumer advocate

Re: CA to Id with Excellent Golden Eagle Movers

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 am

I hope it is made obvious that it is just as much fault of the consumer as it is of the supplier for not doing their homework & being "cheap" by going with the cheapest price...........

Your anti-consumer attitude is not appropriate for this site. Yes, there are people who haven't done their homework, but the big problem is the fact that there are no effective consumer protections in place, and of the protections that are in place, there is almost no enforcement. For the most part, scam movers are able to operate with impunity. While we recognize that the majority of movers are honest, we have, in fact, advised people who are able, to do their own move because with the lack of consumer protections, that's the best way to avoid being scammed.

If you continue to post this anti-consumer stuff, your posts will be removed. If you want a place to bellyache about movers being scammed by consumers then go start and pay for your own damn website.

smatwilly

I thought this board was opened to both sides

Postby smatwilly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:24 pm

I am sorry to say but IF the consumer took their time & did their homework like most of the consumer/movers with "happy" stories than they would have that much less of a chance to be taken advantage of. They need to learn to protect themselves because of the fact that there are no effectiver consumer protections in place--although, that isnt entirely true--IF one does their homework they will find that there are some consumer protections are in place---they just wont find them with fly by night companies---

I do not have an anti consumer attitude as a whole, just in certain situations. Too bad it wasnt as easy to ban these fly by night movers like it is to ban someone who knows the business & sees both sides of it.

Just curious--do you ban all the posts that YOU dont agree with?

consumer advocate

Re: CA to Id with Excellent Golden Eagle Movers

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 pm

No, just ones that have an obnoxiously anti-consumer attitude.

Return to “Open Community”