**UPakWeShip - OK with me !

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
dylans

**UPakWeShip - OK with me !

Postby dylans » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:27 pm

Just wanted to share my recent international move experience with UPakWeShip.

Moved from the US to NZ. My family only had a palette load of stuff anyway, and had a hard time finding places that do such small shipments. Of course UPakWeShip came up high on the search results... so I started off communication with them.

Of course I then found these forums after the fact, and saw a bunch of negative feedback about them. I cursed under my breath and thought my stuff was doomed :)

So... I took my stuff to a place called Shumaker Cargo, and dropped it all off . It seemed like a sketchy part of town :) The guy there was extremely nice, and helped me out with the paperwork, etc.

The entire time, I was dealing with Alison Kane (through UPakWeShip), and she was more than helpful and nice.

Sooo... $1000 later for UPakWeShip... $200 for customs inspection, and 5 months later, everything arrived at our doorstep, and in perfect condition.

So, if you're on a budget, don't have much stuff, and don't mind waiting... I'd highly recommend UPakWeShip ! It was a super painless process, and everybody I worked with was very nice. Oh... and I'm glad I have my stuff :)

dylans

Re: **UPakWeShip - OK with me (US to NZ) !

Postby dylans » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Actually, it was $250 for the customs stuff, as we didn't have an itemized list of our things on us (I lost it, and was too lazy to search for it).

hardatwork

Re: **UPakWeShip - OK with me !

Postby hardatwork » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:48 am

Thank you for your review on your move.

It’s funny with everything that went against the norm on your shipment you are still pleased. It should not take five month to move your goods to NZ, and UPakWeShip should have requested the packing list from you from the start of the move. They should have checked the packing list so you were not taking anything that would have raised questions with NZ Customs or MAF and you would have saved the extra $ 250.00.

Anyone considering using UPakWeShip should note they are not licensed with the Federal Maritime Commission to offer international ocean freight transportation. Your rights, in case of a dispute, will be less protected then if you used a fully licensed OTI License Freight Forwarder.

dylans

Postby dylans » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks hardatwork.

The packing list issue was totally my fault, as I did give it to UPakWeShip, and they did go over it. It was sheer laziness on my part, as I could have easily gotten a copy from them at the time. It was an instance of me being lazy and it ending up costing me $250. *Sigh... I can only blame myself :)

As for the licensing stuff, I had no idea about the requirement of any licenses or permits. I could only guess that UPakWeShip doesn't have a license because of the fee's and such involved. I have a friend that grows and sells organic produce, but can't label it organic as he can't afford the permits. His margins just aren't good enough.

Hmm... well the place that actually did the shipment had cars and big items in their warehouse... so assuming they must have been licensed. Assuming people shipping corvettes overseas did some homework (unlike me).

If that was the case, then UPakWeShip probably is just a middle man, and took a cut of the $1000, and paid the Shumaker Cargo place.

Regardless... I only had a palette of stuff to send over, and not much money. Also, time wasn't an issue. So, all in all, I'm very happy about the turnout.

If there is a licensed company out there that does send palettes, and is around $1000... I'm sure a lot of people like me would love to know about them !
:D

Also... glad a site like this exists ! Thanks !!

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 pm

OK they have been in business long enough to follow the laws of the industry they are in.

There is no excuse for them breaking the law! Period.

I am thinking any of the four recommended movers here could move a pallet of goods to NZ for $ 1000 if the client drops off the goods at the loading depot.

Do not get me wrong nothing wrong with you getting your goods and your happy.

I am only pointing out the facts to others that might read your review and are thinking of hiring an agent that is not licensed and does not seem to care they are breaking the law!

dylans

Postby dylans » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:56 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for breaking it down hardatwork !
I'm hoping this post helps out others who are in the same boat.

Thanks !

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I said it before and I will say it again- Upakweship is a part of euroamerica or eurousa whatever they are calling themselves. They do have an fmc license, and I can almost guarantee, everything is going thru them. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

Gretchen K

Postby Gretchen K » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 pm

UPAKWESHIP, INC is a licensed freight forwarder with the FMC under their own name. The number is 020288. You can look it up on the FMC website under OTI's, then select the link for freight forwarders. So, considering that that they are actually licensed, they are not breaking the law by operating without a license.

I have not yet picked a company, but have been doing research for about a month. I noticed that quite a few companies exclude charges from their quotations that are sure to be invoiced. One company actually excluded palletization from their quote. Also, some excluded THC (terminal handling charges, also called port service fees.) These are not customs fees; they are fees charged by the company's destination agent at the receiving port. The company should be able to tell you who their destination agent is and what the THC or port service fees will be. You need to really read the fine print. I feel that a company should be up front about its charges. Excluding items that are routinely invoiced is a red flag. It turns I that the companies excluded routine charges from their quotes were also the ones that I have found the most complaints about.

As far as UPakWeShip, the THC was included in their quotation. I don't have a lot of stuff, and much more time than I have money. I've also done a lot of moving and packing on my own, am incredibly detail-oriented and have been through customs in the destination country. So, they might be a viable option for me. Not everyone needs or wants a full-service mover to do packing, unpacking, and furniture assembly. I actually only have one small dresser and have dis/reassembeled on my own many times, don't want my things unpacked, so would prefer not to pay for these services. The jury is still out; but this company appears to meet my needs better than any other than I've looked into so far.
Gretchen, recently moved to Australia

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Gretchen,

Back in 2007 when the last post was written, they weren't licensed under their own name but it's good to see that they are now.

It is very important that you also get the costs for inspection, quarantine, fumigation, as these are OZ Specific charges that you will likely pay, or should at least have budgeted.

They may have a viable alternative, they may be more upfront with the fees that will need to be paid, but for the shipper who has not moved internationally, or who does not want to take the liability for hidden damage, they would not be the best choice. Also, the time frame is a big consideration.

Most importantly, in the move above, they didn't transmit the packing list with the manifest and bill of lading. You might not know this, but these are required documents that they MUST send. Because (at the time) they didn't know the ABC's of international shipping (or didn't do them) the above customer had to pay an extra 25%. He probably didn't know it was thier fault, based on what he wrote, but if they made the same mistake with you, would you be happy about the extra charge?

You're obviously familiar with international shipping, however we would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Gretchen K

As Noone mention this thread goes back to 2007 however the thread below is a very recent review of the company you are considering.

Take from it what you want but it is more up to date than this thread.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

Good luck with your move and please come back to give us a review of whoever you use on your move.

Gretchen K

Postby Gretchen K » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Yes, Oz customs can be very sticky. They are particularly concerned with wooden items and anything intended for outdoor use, such as camping or sports equipment. Everything must sparkeling clean, with no hint of soil or plant matter. I have inquired how much should be budgeted for AQIS inspections and possible fummigation. I was advised by UPakWeShip that these charges could run USD 600-800. This is pretty consitent with what I've heard elsewhere.

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 am

That seems like the fee for a 20 foot container. How big is your shipment?

Gretchen K

Postby Gretchen K » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:53 pm

I was mistaken; this figure DID NOT come from Alison Kane at UPakWeShip. It is from Echo Trans World and is a response to questions I had about port service fees (because they were not included in the original ETW quotation) and about estimates for possible additional fees for AQIS inspections/fumigation/quarantine. From the wording of the ETW response, I can’t tell if the figure quoted (Au 600-800) covers the port charges and additional AQIS charges, or both. Here it is: “THC is invoiced in local currency once the shipment is processed in Australia. THC will definitely be applied. Nearly 100% of shipments entering Australia are also fumigated. While it’s impossible to predict the exact amount, you should budget approximately AU$600-800.” I had been advised by a rep. at XsBaggage that fumigation and quarantine could run up to $500 if the shipment had to transported to another location for processing and I was charged an hourly rate for all of the individuals processing the fumigation and quarantine. I did not follow up on the response from ETW because I decided not to go with them.

Noone

Postby Noone » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:14 am

Gretchen,

Be sure to come back and let us know who you used, and how it went.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Exception

Postby Exception » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:07 am

If you've read my story, and decide to use UPakWeShip / EuroUSA anyway, you're really on your own.

I was paying attention and tehy stills scammed me for at least $400, were months late, and damaged my goods... not to mention the sheer frustration and endless amount of emails, calls, faxes and paperwork involved.

These people do this for a living. Their 'small mistakes' always ending up costing the customer money, not them... it's a prearranged scheme, it can't be anything else. So many things are slipped by you, it's unbelievable.

Return to “International Moves”