ALERT - avoid Moving Seagull

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
rknig

ALERT - avoid Moving Seagull

Postby rknig » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:44 am

I just completed a two month nightmare with Moving Seagull. Below is a list of my grievances:
1) My original price quote was $1,100 on the Internet to move a 2-bedroom apartment from Houston to San Francisco. Also, I was told on the phone that my belongings would take approximately 1 week to reach California. After loading my possessions on the moving truck, I was informed that I would actually owe $2,800. The movers claimed that I should use the "space on the truck method" rather than weight even though I protested. The mover threatened to make it equally expensive for me if I chose the weight method by charging me for every miscellaneous item he could think of.
2) After picking up my stuff, I didn't hear from Moving Seagull for a week. I was then told my stuff should be put on a truck within a week. I did not hear for another week so I started calling every day. I had to call about 4 times a day to get through to "John Green" (I am sure that isn't his real name). John Green is the only person there who knows anything or has the authority to make decisions. I was hung up on repeatedly when I tried to reach him. This nightmare literally consumed my every waking minute for 6 weeks.
3) Finally after 6 weeks my stuff arrived in California. To reiterate, I was told the move would take ONE WEEK. As I expected, the movers irrevocably destroyed 6 of my 8 pieces of furniture. It says in my contract I only get $0.60 per pound which amounts to about $100, even though my stuff is worth several thousand.

I will never use a moving company again in my life. Lying is a way of business for Moving Seagull unfortunately. I can only hope this strategy of scamming customers does not prove profitable in the long run.

My question to the community is: I took pictures of all the destroyed furniture and documented everything that happened. I am planning to dispute the charge on my credit card and send in all the documentation and pictures to my credit card company. What are the chances my credit card company will flip the charge? Thank God I didn't pay via cash at pickup. I was told on the phone they would accept credit card but then they tried to get cash from me at pickup. I refused and they finally accepted credit card. They charged half my fee to the credit card and the other half I paid at delivery in cash.

Rick

Re: Moving Seagull Nightmare

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:50 am

Name : MOVING SEAGULL LLC
USDOT: 1607027
MC # : 594276
Address: 4729 MANZANITA AVENUE #16
CARMICHAEL, CA 95608
Phone: (916) 662-5703
(866) 379-0401
(866) 566-4324
Fax: (866) 566-4325

The response from your credit card company is going to depend on the case that you make with them and the terms that you agreed to on the bill of lading. Unfortunately, Moving Seagull did provide the service that you contracted them for (albeit five week later). If you signed for the valuation option releasing your goods at $0.60 per pound per article than that’s all they’re obligated to pay for any damage that they caused.

This one-truck company only obtained their household goods interstate operating authority in March, 2007. Based on the eight complaints http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/search.asp that they’ve racked up since then and the issue of late arrival 30 days past the expected date, you might want to file a complaint with the National Consumer Complaint Database operated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov/HomePage.asp

Since you shipment moved from Texas, the California Public Utility Commission has no jurisdiction but you can find some useful information at their sites.
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/transportation/movers.htm
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/aboutcpuc ... cement.htm

Moves crossing state lines are under the jurisdiction of the Office of Motor Carriers of the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation. The main office in California can be reached at 916-498-5050.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 am

If this company is located in California, I think the California PUC would be interested in this as well, since they have the authority to revoke the permit of any shady operation.

The link below will give you the addresses to file complaints with the PUC and the government, since yours was interstate.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/truck ... sehold.htm

Another place to file your complaint is with the California Moving & Storage Association. I have known Steve DeBolt for a number of years, and these crooked movers are something that causes problems for the reputable movers. The CMSA works closely with the PUC Enforcement Unit to monitor suspect companies..

http://www.thecmsa.org/html/consumers/consumers.htm

Steve is one of the owners of San Diego Van & Storage.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:48 am

Prior thread with three similar complaints about Moving Seagull - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13983 I'll add a warning about it to the Superlist under "California (Northern)."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

rknig

Re: ALERT - avoid Moving Seagull (Nightmare)

Postby rknig » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:06 pm

One interesting thing to note is that the company is run by Israeli expatriates. The business owner on the California Secretary of State's website used to list an address in Tel Aviv. Oddly enough, the address has been taken down in the last two weeks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:39 pm

There's still a record of it. According to WHOIS, this is the person who registered the company's website:

Domain Name: MOVINGSEAGULL.COM

Registrant:
Keshet Ksm Holdings Ltd
Amir Meiri (ymcpa@012.net.il)
3 Nirim St.
N/A
N/A
Tel-Aviv
N/A,67060
IL
Tel. +972.36390172
Fax. +3.35379528

Creation Date: 21-Feb-2007
Expiration Date: 21-Feb-2009

jas22p

Postby jas22p » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 am

I'm so sorry for your experience, and so happy that you posted about it. I am currently trying to arrange movers, and Moving Seagull is one of the companies I've been communicating with. Now I know better. Thanks.

ashann

Postby ashann » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm

I am going through the Moving Seagull nightmare right now! I checked the BBB on Sept. 30 (which I should have checked before moving) and then re-checked it today, there are 2 new complaints! Moving Seagull picked up my things from Houston to move to Brooklyn on Sept. 23 and I am still getting the run-around from John Green as well. I asked him who his manager was and if I could speak to him, he told me he was the highest manager and that the only other person would be the owner and that I couldn't talk to him. I asked for his name and had him spell it, the owner is apparently Elyhu Hassid.

Did you end up paying the full $2800? I demanded some sort of discount from John Green as I was promised a "7 day guarantee" as well, for $1512. He said we could work out some sort of discount, but will not actually talk to me about it when I bring it up . He also mentioned that I was not the only person in Houston who was waiting for their furniture to be moved, that a bunch of people's things had been delayed and many were very dissatisfied.

I have been chronicling my events and conversations with them since it has become a problem and want to file a BBB complaint, but am worried what they might do to my belongings (if they haven't already) because they still have them somewhere in storage in Houston. Please let me know what you decided to do!

rknig

Postby rknig » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 pm

As of now I had to pay the full $2,800 but I am disputing the charge with my CC company. If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about a discount and pray to God you see any of your stuff ever again. John Green will tell you anything to make you go away and nothing he says is truthful.

vikki

Postby vikki » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:52 pm

I to am going through a living nightmare with this company, they r holding my stuff in Houston and refuse to deliver until i pay them $3600 above what the original price was. And the price keeps going up every day, they have had my stuff hostage for 15 days, I have now contacted a lawyer who is working for me but warns it could be a long drawn out process. but I am detemined to fight this whatever it costs.
I booked this company through get amoving company broker in Pompano beach Florida and it seems they are working together to con money out of people. My contract was for a total price not to exceed $2300 and would take 7 days to deliver. what a joke I thought i was doing everything the correct way by getting the quote in writing, but unfortunatley the law is not on the side of the victim.
ashann wrote:I am going through the Moving Seagull nightmare right now! I checked the BBB on Sept. 30 (which I should have checked before moving) and then re-checked it today, there are 2 new complaints! Moving Seagull picked up my things from Houston to move to Brooklyn on Sept. 23 and I am still getting the run-around from John Green as well. I asked him who his manager was and if I could speak to him, he told me he was the highest manager and that the only other person would be the owner and that I couldn't talk to him. I asked for his name and had him spell it, the owner is apparently Elyhu Hassid.

Did you end up paying the full $2800? I demanded some sort of discount from John Green as I was promised a "7 day guarantee" as well, for $1512. He said we could work out some sort of discount, but will not actually talk to me about it when I bring it up . He also mentioned that I was not the only person in Houston who was waiting for their furniture to be moved, that a bunch of people's things had been delayed and many were very dissatisfied.

I have been chronicling my events and conversations with them since it has become a problem and want to file a BBB complaint, but am worried what they might do to my belongings (if they haven't already) because they still have them somewhere in storage in Houston. Please let me know what you decided to do!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Vikki, see if you can get weigh tickets from them to prove you had more than your estimate stated.

Contact Move Rescue to see if they can help you www.moverescue.com

ashann

Postby ashann » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:44 pm

VIKKI- I'm sorry you are having to go through this as well. My things were finally delivered today in Brooklyn after many more hassles on the phone with "Johnny," who told me that John Green no longer works there. Very convenient that John Green was the only one who had any idea what was going on with my things every time I called and had told me over the phone I would get some sort of discount, but apparently now doesn't work there anymore.

I was told by Johnny (who works at dispatch and picked up my belongings in the first place in Houston) that I now had to pay extra for them to deliver because they would need to unload the shipment onto a small rental truck to deliver it to my house. I had talked with the precinct in Brooklyn where I live who assured me that an 18-wheeler would not be a problem on the street. I told Johnny this and he just kept saying it wasn't possible, and I would have to pay the extra or they would have to deliver it to storage (which he said I would also have to pay for, and that I would have to wire the money to their bank account before they would deliver it to storage...I told him no way.)

The sub-contracted movers today, Barrack and Nadal, from MID moving (they said it was out of Chicago) delivered my stuff actually in decent conditon save for my bedside table which had one of the legs completely broken off. Unfortunately the law isn't on the side of the consumer and there isn't much you can do, but file complaints with the BBB, FMCSA, and your state, try to go to arbitration, and hire a lawyer (good move!)...but from what I have heard and read, it is a VERY lengthy process and by the end your court costs and fees cost just as much as the move in the first place. My original quote was $1512 and I ended up paying $3125. I also spent over $1000 on flights and cab fares to and from New York since I still live in Houston and had to fly up twice, once when it was supposed to be delivered (because of the "7 day guarantee") and then for the real delivery today.

I have a lot more information but didn't want to write a novel on here, feel free to email me through this website if you want to compare or want any more info.!

rknig

Postby rknig » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I would encourage everyone who has been scammed by this company to file a complaint with the DOT and with the American Moving and Storage Association (http://www.moving.org/). In order to perform interstate moves, companies must be members of AMSA by law. If enough people file complaints against Moving Seagull, hopefully they will be expelled from the organization.

We really need to band together to show John Green and the rest of his thugs that crime doesn't pay.

ashann

Postby ashann » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Definitely! I plan on filing complaints with everyone I possibly can, as well as spreading the word to EVERYONE I know. It is now my mission in life to bring down this company.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:47 pm

rknig wrote:In order to perform interstate moves, companies must be members of AMSA by law.

This is an incorrect statement. They do not need to be a member of AMSA to perform interstate moves. They just need to be licensed by the FMCSA.

Return to “Report A Scam”