Atlas - Atlantic Relocation

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kristalou

Atlas - Atlantic Relocation

Postby kristalou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 am

:evil: I am so mad that I had to post here immediately. I have a move scheduled with Atlas - Atlantic Relocation (whom I researched and all was well) going from Orange County, CA to San Luis Obispo County, CA. The move was supposed to be scheduled for pick up on Wednesday and delivered Thursday, due to the long drive (4 hours). I just hung up after calling them to confirm and they told me that it will now be pick up Wed. and delivery on Fri.!!!! Not only that, but our stuff would be shared with someone elses stuff going to San Jose! :evil: I specifically told them that I did not want to share a truck with anyone and I was already annoyed that it would take one extra day.

I just spoke with the rep who scheduled me and he said that this is the way you would do it all the time with long distance moves. Is this true???? He knows I am livid and is checking with his operations manager to see if there is anything he can do to fix this problem. In the meanwhile, I am waiting for that call and knowing that it will be damn near impossible to find another qualified mover in one day. :evil: Anyone else have this experience? Am I being unreasonable?

kristalou

Re: Atlas - Atlantic Relocation - MAD!!

Postby kristalou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:17 am

Here's the update. I spoke with our rep and he sorted everything out to make sure we would be delivered on Thursday the day after pick up. Whew.... Apparently it was not easy, but we lucked out with the other recipient being happy with getting their stuff earlier on Friday. Yes, we still have to share the truck. Apparently since we both have under 8000 lbs, they normally combine the two. I have been assured that there will be plenty of space between the two shipments and everything will be tagged and inventoried. It still makes me nervous that we are sharing, but I am stuck with it I guess. :roll:

I will continue to post our experience with this mover - good, bad, or indifferent. Thanks to all who post here and run this site - you have been a huge help. I hope we can also help someone else by sharing our experience with this mover.

Diane

Re: *Atlas - Atlantic Relocation - MAD!!

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi - glad it worked out. I think it's normal for a company to combine small loads for an intra-CA move like this. See this that I posted about another company, an independent:
Don Schwartz of STS Movers told me that for most Los Angeles to San Francisco moves, he charges a flat fee of $1250 for small shipments and can deliver in 1 to 2 days, i.e. he would deliver on the same day or the next day. He said he would try to get another small load to fill his truck. (I would guess that San Francisco to Los Angeles might be somewhat more since he is located in Southern CA.) Since he operates only straight trucks, he wouldn't have to use a shuttle. Here is the entry for his company on the Superlist linked to below my name:
--STS Movers (independent) in Westminster, also dba Schwartz Transportation Services. [Legal name is Donald R. Schwartz.]
This company with MC #527192 has the website www.stsmovers.com and the phone 714-791-5547. It is licensed to do interstate moves. The owner, Don Schwartz, posts on MovingScam as "donatsts" and has made some helpful comments here. He is listed on www.uship.com with the user ID "22mover" and as of 7/07 he had about 20 positive comments there. He also accepts loading and unloading jobs from MovingStaffers (listed on the ABF U-Pack website.)
In 7/07 Carla McKinney moving from Lakewood, CA to Canada had STS load her ABF truck. As it turned out, her moving blankets, bubble wrap, and rope purchased through ABF didn't arrive in time so Don also supplied those (he had picked some supplies up from Pioneer Packing just in case). Carla posted that "he and his colleague are doing a wonderful job; they were prompt and extremely professional packing and movoing my things and they have been very efficient (they have been here less than three ours and will b done inprobably 30 minutes!)":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14266 (loading help)
"Kyle" reported in 8/07 that Don had done both business-related moves and personal moves for him and he was very pleased with Don, describing him as "efficient and careful." Both types of moves included storage in the STS warehouse in San Bernardino:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14502 (within-CA with storage)
There is another very good review posted by "aeest400" in 8/07 saying that Don moved him from Los Angeles to Monterey, CA, on very short notice for $2000 and did it in one day with three helpers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14544 (within-CA)

Might be a company worth considering. Also, Moovers Inc. told me that they do a lot of such moves, and I'm sure that Delancey Street does too.

By the way, I thought you were moving to the East Coast because you posted previously asking about shipping two cars. :?:

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 pm

I just spoke with the rep who scheduled me and he said that this is the way you would do it all the time with long distance moves. Is this true????

As Diane indicated, that's the way the moving company would normally handle an intra-state move within California. Essentially, it works out as:

1 day to pack and load both shipments
1 day to drive
1 day to unload both

I've driven the route to SLO from North OC a few times and it would be far more than 4 hours in the best of circumstances; I'd put it closer to 5.5 to 6. Do I think you're being unreasonable to ask for it to be a 1 day move? Let's just say I would not want to be the mover who battled the teeth of traffic along the 101 from downtown LA, through the SFV, work my way through SBA, sit in the teeth of traffic with no way to ride the diamond lane (2 man crew and 3 to a car in the diamond lane as you near SLO) only to then unload. It's 2 hours just to make it through the SFV from OC during the week (I do that drive just to visit my parents and even on the weekend that drive can be a nightmare) and 3.5 just to get to the outskirts of SBA.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

kristalou

Postby kristalou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Diane wrote:Hi - glad it worked out. I think it's normal for a company to combine small loads for an intra-CA move like this. See this that I posted about another company, an independent:
By the way, I thought you were moving to the East Coast because you posted previously asking about shipping two cars. :?:

Thanks, Diane! I feel so much better knowing this is common practice. They seem to be rising to the occassion in making sure I am happy now - the dispatcher even called me to re-confirm the dates/times. So we'll see how the driver is and how the rest of move goes.

And yes, we were going to move to NY but my husband's family is here in CA and he decided last minute that he just couldn't be that far from the parents. :roll: So being on the same coast was a good compromise. :)

kristalou

Postby kristalou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Jim wrote:
I just spoke with the rep who scheduled me and he said that this is the way you would do it all the time with long distance moves. Is this true????

As Diane indicated, that's the way the moving company would normally handle an intra-state move within California. Essentially, it works out as:

1 day to pack and load both shipments
1 day to drive
1 day to unload both

I've driven the route to SLO from North OC a few times and it would be far more than 4 hours in the best of circumstances; I'd put it closer to 5.5 to 6. Do I think you're being unreasonable to ask for it to be a 1 day move? Let's just say I would not want to be the mover who battled the teeth of traffic along the 101 from downtown LA, through the SFV, work my way through SBA, sit in the teeth of traffic with no way to ride the diamond lane (2 man crew and 3 to a car in the diamond lane as you near SLO) only to then unload. It's 2 hours just to make it through the SFV from OC during the week (I do that drive just to visit my parents and even on the weekend that drive can be a nightmare) and 3.5 just to get to the outskirts of SBA.

Thanks, Jim. :) I agree that traffic really sucks on the best of days and I am sure it is no picnic in a giant truck. What they are planning to do is pick up our things one day and drive to their base (or whatever they would call the office) in Anaheim and keep in there overnight. Then the next day they would drive it up to SLO and unload it. Stay somewhere overnight (I am guessing) and deliver the other person's stuff the following day in San Jose. I wouldn't expect them to load, drive, and deliver the same day from South OC to SLO - that would be completely unreasonable.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:49 am

When did you expect the guys to sleep and rest? One day in between load and delivery is totally normal. Otherwise they would drive all night after working all day to load your goods, then unload exhausted.

Plus, they should have given you an Agreement for Service at least 3 days before the move. It should list your transportation dates and a delivery spread.

kristalou

Postby kristalou » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Nancy wrote:When did you expect the guys to sleep and rest? One day in between load and delivery is totally normal. Otherwise they would drive all night after working all day to load your goods, then unload exhausted.

Plus, they should have given you an Agreement for Service at least 3 days before the move. It should list your transportation dates and a delivery spread.

Did you not read my previous post? I understand they cannot pack, drive, and unload the same day. Pack one day, drive the following and arrive at destination for unloading, stay overnight at the destination area, and go to their next destination the following day. I wouldn't expect them not to sleep.

kristalou

Re: *Atlas - Atlantic Relocation

Postby kristalou » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Just a quick follow up if anyone is interested. We moved with Atlas Atlantic Relocation (they are an Atlas affiliate located in Anaheim, CA) company back in October 2007. I wanted to let you all know that they were fast, efficient, and professional. The driver and his helpers were pleasant and accomodating. They showed up as promised and all of our stuff arrived in one piece - nothing broken or missing. I would recommend them and if we ever move again (hopefully not for a while!!), I'd call on their services again. Overall good experience. Thanks to all who post here!

-Krista

Diane

Re: **Atlas - Atlantic Relocation

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks for this good review, which I'll add to the Superlist under California--Orange County.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”