WARNING: Calfo Red Line Moving in Pittsburgh, PA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kdos999

WARNING: Calfo Red Line Moving in Pittsburgh, PA

Postby kdos999 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am

Just want to BEWARE everyone about Calfo Red Line Moving and Storage
company in Pittsburgh, PA. They have roaches in their storage and trucks!!!!

I used them just this past month. My stuff was in their storage for a little over a month.
Now that I am unpacking, I have seen 3 live roaches in my brand, NEW house.
And they came right out of the boxes! Very disgusting!!

And so far very little response from them! There isn't much I can do except warn everyone
who reads this message. DO NOT use them.

Go with South Hills movers. They are pricey but much better!

farrah7031

Re: WARNING: Calfo Red Line Moving in Pittsburgh, PA

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 am

They appear ok in the FMCSA licensing department:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

But the BBB has them as an unsatisfactory rating:
http://www.pittsburgh.bbb.org/nis/newse ... 0023000067

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:32 pm

We have one favorable review of them from a few years ago, but the customer did note that the company appeared to be cash-poor:
--Calfo Red Line Transfer, Inc. (independent) in Oakmont.
"chessimprov" and his brother moved with them from Pittsburgh to the DC area (two separate dropoffs) and were very pleased. The estimator (Bill) was nice and so were the driver and helper (Don and Bryan). The quote was also the least expensive of the ones he got. He did mention that the company was small and the truck didn't have interior lights, AC, or a radio:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1768#41768

I'll add this new info to the Superlist - thanks, Farrah! - and caution readers about using them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:51 pm

Be glad you don't live in the deep south. Big ol bugs are a common sight, nothing like turning on the kitchen light at 3 AM and seeing them scurry away, buts that not as bad as stepping on them barefooted in the dark and hearing the crackling and crunching sounds they make. In the South, you just accept the fact that we have lots of bugs, bees, snakes, spiders, kudzu and swamp gas. I've seen roaches ( we call them palmetto bugs) so big you could put a saddle on them and ride. And everybody checks their shoes before they put them on, in case a spider has crawled into the shoes. And when cutting the grass or doing yardwork, there is nothing more fun than disturbing a nest of yellow jackets, tiny little bees that pack a wallop. They use some kind of teamwork signal too, when you get into a pack of them, they all sting you at the same time, usually in 10's and 12's. And snakes, lordy, I don't even wanna talk about snakes. They are everywhere. I once picked up a snake and beat a stick to death.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:36 pm

I was seated at a dinner party in Louisiana once when a palmetto bug dropped onto the hostess' plate. She just swept it aside and kept on talking. As a person not from the South, I never forgot it! Eek!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Archie, when I moved here last year from the north (yup, I'm a Yankee) I saw this "Palmetto Bug" climb out of my shoe. HOLY SMOKES! That ain't no bug - it was as big as a mouse! Scared the crap out of me. :shock:

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:39 pm

To the Original Poster, where did you move to/from? It appears you're posting from Pittsburgh.

I received this in a Private Message from a mover lurking on the board, and it's a good point:

In order for the roaches to come out of a box as indicated, and the box was not compromised in any way, then the box had to be packed with the roaches inside. That means the roaches were at origin in the house of the person complaining, not in the truck, not in the warehouse, and not at destination. How do roaches climb into a sealed box??

Other Pros care to comment?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:45 pm

When you see a truck driver, or anybody, wearing pointy toed boots, they are not wearing them because they are a cowboy, those long pointy toes come in handy when a roach runs into a corner, you can still get to them to squish them. Bugs are no big deal. I live in a new hi rise condo, on the 4th floor, and I've seen 3 'palmetto bugs' in 4 years.....how and why does a bug go to the 4th floor? I can't recall the last time we had to fumigate a van, which is where they quarantine it, put some bug bombs inside the truck, and then seal all doors with tape, for 36-48 hours. This reminds me of the recent post concerning bed bugs that somebody in california complained of. Who knows where they come from? I doubt the truck/warehouse is infested, but they have to come from somewhere. I've seen em in clean homes, and I've seen them in dirty homes, its not that big a deal, to me anyway.

kdos999

Postby kdos999 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:24 pm

In order for the roaches to come out of a box as indicated, and the box was not compromised in any way, then the box had to be packed with the roaches inside. That means the roaches were at origin in the house of the person complaining, not in the truck, not in the warehouse, and not at destination. How do roaches climb into a sealed box??

WHAT????? Are you kidding me?????

Yes, it was a local move. But, I assure you that I had NO roaches in my old house !!!!!!
I can't believe how you can so easily discredit my post like that!!!!

First of all, I have lived in the southern climate (a long, long time ago). So I know that roaches get into the tiniest spaces.

Second, these boxes were not tightly sealed. Just packing tape on top and bottom. Through the corners, roaches can easily get in and out. If you don't know this, then YOU do NOT know what you are talking about!!!.

Third, I just spoke with Calfo's partner on the phone right now and gave him a piece of my mind. He ADMITTED that sometimes when their trucks go from Pittsburgh to the South to move people there, roaches DO get inside the truck!!!!!
What do you say to that???
Here's a tip for you: Roaches get into EVERYTHING!!!

Anyway, this partner, did NOT admit that the truck that had my stuff came from the South. He claimed that he had NO IDEA where this particular truck had been. He just thought that was a possibility (hmmm...) and very nicely sympathized with my disgust! Big help!

Fourth, I also spoke with our local pest control company and she said that this is VERY COMMON. Roaches LIVE in storage spaces. They have often had to treat roach problems when boxes have been in storage! What do you say to that ??????

Finally, I want to thank the person who posted the link to BBB website. CALFO RED LINE has had 12 complaints against them in the past 36 months. I think that speaks VOLUMES. I wish I had checked BBB website before I used them!

Ok, I am DONE! You can believe me or not. All I can say is that you have been WARNED! Use them at your own risk!

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:39 pm

But, I assure you that I had NO roaches in my old house !!!!!! I can't believe how you can so easily discredit my post like that!!!!

As someone who would see claims all the time, I am highly skeptical after reading your post for the following reasons:

(1) Roaches can't make it into corners of an uncompromised box, its sides, or inside anyway other than the top of the box. The only way it could penetrate the top of the box is if the packer didn't use tape to seal the box. It would be possible if the roaches were in the box during packing at origin, but not on the truck, nor in storage for the reasons detailed below.

(2) A roach can probably survive a nuclear holocaust, but their systems don't like the constant vibration of a moving truck (or anything else that constantly vibrates). That's why trucks don't go through fumigation all that often - they don't need to unless they sit for several months. If the roach can't make it out of the truck, they'll hide in furniture. I didn't see anywhere in your post indicating there were roaches in anything other than the 3 boxes - were there roaches in anything else?

(3) Warehouses are generally rented and the landlord is responsible for spraying the exterior of the warehouse for such things - not to mention the fact that the storage containers don't have gaps big enough to allow a roach to crawl in. We used to have a warehouse in a desert community and spraying was a necessity.

(4) Finally, there's the nice little advertisement left for a moving company without any detail as to why you would use them, knowing they're a little pricey. This little detail made you sound more like a competitor of the moving company you slammed, instead of a customer of it.

The greater likelihood is that the roaches were in your things at the origin of your move because there's no other way they could get into the box.

With the exception of (4) which is one of my pet peeves, that is probably the reaction of the moving company, isn't it? They won't tell you that to your face, but that's the deal. The mover will claim the roaches can't survive in a moving truck for the reasons provided, and couldn't have gotten into your things while in SIT. Accordingly, the only place they could have gotten into your boxes is at origin.

Were your items damaged by the roaches? Probably not and that's another reason why no one is excited at the moving company. If you made it to your place, nothing was damaged, nothing was missing, and you weren't scammed out of thousands of additional dollars, then the move was a good one.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

kdos999

Postby kdos999 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Jim,
WOW! You got me! You blew my cover! I made this all up! Yes, I wanted
to discredit CALFO RED LINE and so I made up this whole story. Yes,
I secretly work for the other company. Yes, I am advertising for them
to get a massive salary raise.

Whoever you are and WHEREVER you are, you KNEW that there were
roaches all over my old house because you could actually SEE my old house, right???
Tell me something, since you so perceptive, EXACTLY how many roaches did you count in my old house?

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! You ruined my master plan!
Darn, I am not going to get that raise after all. Oh no... they are going to fire me!
[sarcasm OFF]

To members of this forum:
I STAND by EVERY WORD I wrote in my previous post. You can take it or leave it!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:53 am

Hi - I apologize; we see so many phony posts here that we do tend to be overly suspicious at times. I for one believe you, which is why I said that I'm going to reference your post in the Superlist.

I gather that you probably considered using South Hills for your local move but went with the less expensive alternative. Clearly there is a big difference between a creme-de-la-creme company like South Hills and a modest firm like Calfo that is said to be running trucks with no A/C or radios.

I'm no expert on roaches, but I also think they could have gotten into your boxes in the warehouse unless they were hermetically sealed. I do think that the same thing could have happened with South Hills. Broadway Express told me that when they once moved some people from a housing project, they had to fumigate their trucks and throw out all the boxes afterward for fear of contaminating their warehouse. In other words, roaches can be a problem for any company.

kdos999

Postby kdos999 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 am

Diane, thank you for your post. You conveyed exactly what I am really
trying to say.

Yes, I considered South Hills but they were quite pricey. Calfo's estimate
was about $2K cheaper. So of course, we went with them. We winded
up paying about $6K for the total move .... which is a LOT I hope you
agree.

So, it disgusts me to see these roaches now. I did NOT expect this! And
that's what I am warning members who read my post.

Upon thinking more overnight about what Jim said, let me FAIRLY clarify:

- I did NOT lose anything that I know of so far. It's been 2 weeks and I
am still unpacking but so far so good.

- They did NOT break anything. Some minor scratches on furniture
which is OK and expected I guess.

- They DID manage to put a hole in the old house while moving our
eliptical exercise machine. They said someone would come the
NEXT day to fix the hole but they NEVER did. The buyer of our old
house was ok with it since it was a small hole. So, we decided
it wasn't worth disputing with Calfo over that.

- They were nice. But as some other poster said - they are very basic.
Don't expect white glove treatment which I suspect that's what South
Hills provides and therefore they are expensive. Calfo is
a family owned business and local here in Pittsburgh and well ......
very modest and basic. I don't know about no A/C or radios on their
trucks but I wouldn't be surprised.

And I think you are right. Roaches can be a problem with South Hills
or any other company.

So anyway, thank you for your post and believing in me. I hope I was
some help to others. THANKS!

Return to “Open Community”