*Having used appliances picked up and delivered?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dylane

*Having used appliances picked up and delivered?

Postby dylane » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:10 pm

We're renting a new place soon and need to buy appliances for it. I'm trying to get a good idea of what is a reasonable rate to have someone drive from NYC out to Long Island or West Chester pickup a refrigerator, dishwasher, and stove and have it delivered to Brooklyn. There are no stairs involved except for 2-3 for the stoop, and a convenient freight elevator on the delivery side.

I've gotten flat rate quotes from 4 places and there is quite a wide spread. Everything from $200 -$550. The problem is I have no idea what is reasonable, so it is hard to say if any of them are low balling.

The lowest quote is for a guy who will provide the truck and we do the loading and unloading. Normally this would be cool, but I don't really have a way to get out to those places or the time to take a day off.

The second quote is for $250 from Fair Price Moves for a full service they go out pick up the appliances and deliver. I see there is a company with a similar name on the blacklist, but out of Florida, so hopefully they are not related.

Also have checked with College-Educated-Movers, which had a pretty reasonable quote of $390 with the cargo van, but $550 for the box truck (which it looks like they would need to use).

So what seems reasonable?

Thanks,
Dylan

edit: I went with Fair Price and had an overall OK move, but they did raise my rate at the last minute from $250 to $300. You can read the full review here
Last edited by dylane on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Having used appliances picked up and delivered?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Most places that sell appliances will normally deliver within a 30 - 50 mile radius for a charge that is usually lower than what you've been quoted.

Even if they don't deliver directly, they have numbers of outside contractors that might deliver.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

dylane

Postby dylane » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:41 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:Most places that sell appliances will normally deliver within a 30 - 50 mile radius for a charge that is usually lower than what you've been quoted.

Even if they don't deliver directly, they have numbers of outside contractors that might deliver.

This is true, but I'm getting all 3 appliances for $300, which is less than I could get even one if I was buying new. Even at $850 ($300 +$550 for delivery) it is still a pretty good deal for 3 fairly nice appliances. Unfortunately I don't really have the money to pay $850 and still afford the rest of my move.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:34 am

Why don't you rent a UHaul or Penske truck and pick them up yourself? It would probably be cheaper.

dylane

Postby dylane » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:55 am

farrah7031 wrote:Why don't you rent a UHaul or Penske truck and pick them up yourself? It would probably be cheaper.

I'd like to, but I can't really afford to take a full day off from work. Renting a truck would be somewhere between $150-$200 I think (that's what I paid last year at this time for my move) and the day not working would most likely cost $300+

Unfortunately it is a bad time for move, as I'm short of both money and time.

So does anyone have any thoughts about Fair Price Moves or the $250 quote? I'm tempted to use them just for this, as the worst case scenario I think is that I'm out $300 for the appliances, which just happens to be the difference in price between the two quotes I have.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:05 am

Well, they don't have any complaints at the BBB:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/busi ... 1&id=94127

But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Cross your fingers and hope for the best?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:02 pm

I didn't know truck rentals were so expensive back east. even a small Uhaul truck in Calif will go for about $29 daily plus mileage.

Do you have a friend with a pickup? I'm sure $100 would get thejob done.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

dylane

Postby dylane » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 am

I've gone ahead and scheduled with Fair Price Moves for next Wednesday. I'll let everyone know what type of experience I have with them. So far everything has seemed pretty OK.

BigLeeCalif wrote:I didn't know truck rentals were so expensive back east. even a small Uhaul truck in Calif will go for about $29 daily plus mileage.

Do you have a friend with a pickup? I'm sure $100 would get thejob done.

The rates seem to generally be in the neighborhood of $39 a day here for Penske, and last time there was a two day minimum for any move the last week of the month. Add on insurance (which I feel compelled to buy since I don't have my own insurance or a credit card that offers it) and then add in mileage and tolls and the total gets up there pretty quick.

adrik

Re: *Having used appliances picked up and delivered?

Postby adrik » Thu May 02, 2013 5:16 am

I've gotten flat rate quotes from 4 places and there is quite a wide spread. Everything from $200 -$550. The problem is I have no idea what is reasonable, so it is hard to say if any of them are low balling.

The lowest quote is for a guy who will provide the truck and we do the loading and unloading. Normally this would be cool, but I don't really have a way to get out to those places or the time to take a day off.

The second quote is for $250 from Fair Price Moves for a full service they go out pick up the appliances and deliver. I see there is a company with a similar name on the blacklist, but out of Florida, so hopefully they are not related.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Sounds like an attempt to refer this company. Same as the original. Just no thought I guess?
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri May 03, 2013 12:10 am

correct

Return to “Open Community”