update on Restarting move San Diego-Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CatzEyes

update on Restarting move San Diego-Seattle

Postby CatzEyes » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 pm

The move has ended up happening in two parts: an urgent, short-notice, truckful of basic furniture to get spouse moved into rented house, followed by a truckful of books, files, office stuff, and fragiles. Because of this, I decided to do it all myself rather than mess around with rates quoted in the range of $5K-$7K by moving companies (reputable and otherwise!).

I initially rented a 12' truck from Penske, primarily because of their unlimited mileage rental policy (came in about $500 less than Budget). I picked it up on Saturday, and drove to Yuma, AZ, to load some modest furniture; and quickly discovered that loading without a ramp was going to be impossible. Jason at Penske El Cajon (San Diego) was extremely helpful in finding me a 16' truck with a ramp at a sister location in nearby Mission Valley, which was also open Sunday morning. They basically swapped the trucks for me, adding only $100 for the larger truck but throwing in about 36 more hours on the rental. The return location in Poulsbo, WA, was convenient to the highway and a fuel station.

Truck drove a little skittishly, it really swayed and wobbled on rough pavement. This was pretty scary, so I'm going to check the Moving Tips forum to see if I can do something better loading the second truck at the end of the month. Otherwise, Penske El Cajon and Mission Valley are highly recommended for being cooperative and helpful on very short notice.
Life would be so much easier if I only knew where I was going...

ChrisL

Re: update on Restarting move San Diego-Seattle

Postby ChrisL » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 am

If you have nice furnishings, you might consider paying a mover to just come out and load the second truck for you- make sure you rent plenty of pads and they'll most likely charge you by the hour for the service- Save the back!!

Return to “Open Community”