Decent Experience with Fair Price Moves

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dylane

Decent Experience with Fair Price Moves

Postby dylane » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 am

Just wanted to report back that I had an OK experience with Fair Price Moves on a recent pick-up and delivery of 3 large kitchen appliances. I had gotten 3 estimates to pick up the appliances in upper Westchester County and deliver to Brooklyn. Two estimates were between $500-$650, the third was from Fair Price Moves for $250. I was a bit worried about the price being a lowball estimate, but decided to go ahead and take a chance.

I asked them if they would be able to pick up the appliances at 4:00pm, which I was a little worried about because that would mean they would hit rush hour traffic, but they said that wouldn't be a problem. The day before the move I called to verify that everything was still on schedule, and was told that everything was fine, and then the morning of the move I called to give them a contact number at the pickup. At this point everything was still on track.

Between 2:30-3:30 I was out of cell phone range, but when I get back in I have an urgent message from Lisa in the office asking me to call her right away. I called fearing the worst and was told that they just realized how many tolls there were between the two destinations, and they couldn't do the move for $250 but had to go up to $300.

While I wasn't thrilled with this, I knew the tolls would be expensive, and had thought that $250 was a bit low when you took into account mileage and tolls. So I agreed to $300 and they sent the truck out at about 3:45.

Everything else was pretty uneventful. The movers showed up in Brooklyn about 8:30 pm, were friendly and helpful, and unloaded things quickly. Unfortunately there was a problem with the freight elevator in the building right before they got there, so I had to have them leave them next to the elevator outside. Luckily right after they left a neighbor came along who was able to help me fix the elevator and move all the appliances into my place.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the move. The only couple of things that bugged me a bit was the last minute rate change. I think the price that we negotiated was fair, but I wish that they would have figured this out a little earlier as I had booked with them almost two weeks in advance of the actual move. The other thing was that every time I called I spoke with Lisa in the office, but it always felt that this was the first time we were talking. Which didn't give me a lot of comfort that the movers would show up.

Diane

Re: **Decent Experience with Fair Price Moves

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:51 am

Thanks so much for this review, which I added to the Superlist linked to below my name. I note there that as of today, Fair Price has no BBB complaints over the past 36 months, a good sign.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”