Fixed Price Moving's Disappearance, Lost Artwork, & Sadness

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dal45

Fixed Price Moving's Disappearance, Lost Artwork, & Sadness

Postby dal45 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm

I just went through such a moving nightmare. And am reaching out for some help as to what I can do at this point. The company is Fixed Price Moving and I was moving a one-bedroom (all boxes except for a desk) from Ithaca, NY to Salt Lake City, UT. I tried to do research on their reliability before choosing them, but didn't find a lot of major complaints except for them delivering things late. Anyway, as soon as i paid them a down payment (which they charged two of on my credit card), they became impossible to reach, and when I did reach them they gave me the run-around, acted as if this was the first time we'd ever communicated about anything. They delivered my things two weeks late, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, two boxes were and still are MISSING. and in these boxes I had all of the artwork i've ever purchased/received, from around the world, which has tremendous sentimental (and a good deal of financial) worth. I called several times that week to find out the whereabouts of these boxes and they told me every time that they were looking, checking inventory. After a week I started getting angry and when I called they told me they're going out of business and there was nothing I could do. And they did. They have since DISAPPEARED off the face of the planet and MY BOXES ARE MISSING STILL. THEY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS and now I have the number of a bogus lawyer, a bogus claims management organization (both of whom are giving me the run around) and no way to find my belongings or get reimbursed for them. Who is the insurance company which supposedly covered my things (according to Fixed Price)? It is nowhere in my paperwork. There were also several broken things among my belongings that did arrive. Does anyone have any advice about anything I can do to: A. (most ideal) find these missing boxes (which contain the very personal); B. file a claim for lost items/art; C. figure out a way to report, hold responsible, and perhaps sue this company...? :cry:

weem

Re: Fixed Price Moving's Disappearance, Lost Artwork, & Sadness

Postby weem » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Contact the state dept of transportation for guidance---New York is a regulated state I believe so they should be able to guide you or at least prevent this from happening to others.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Is this the Fixed Price in the Bronx? When did they pick up your goods? If it was after 8/20/07, they did it illegally. Contact the FMCSA and file a complaint with them. They have no insurance after 8/31/07, so if they picked up your goods after that date, I don't think you can submit a claim anywhere.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:40 pm

This is one of those situations where I would contact a lawyer. If they did the move illegally, they probably can't hide behind the legal protections most legal movers use to keep customers from their assets. You also want to consult with the lawyer to determine your options.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

EveAbrams

Postby EveAbrams » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 pm

I feel your pain. A lot. I too was moved by Fixed Price this summer, and in addition to being extremely late (10 hours late picking up my things!), incredibly deft at deflecting all blame, and reneging on every verbal agreement made, they lost my things too. In addition, they delivered my things while I was out of town! In fact, two seems to be the magic number. They lost two boxes of mine, along with a lovely piece of antique furniture, AND much of what they delivered was damaged.

I filed a claim with Anthem, their claim management company, and was offered a very small amount -- about 1/14 the value of the lost and damaged items. So now I'm seeking legal action of sorts. In fact, we are trying to show a pattern to Fixed Price's actions, and if you're willing, you could help me show such a pattern. One easy way to do this would be to share a copy of your contract with me (we're trying to establish their pattern of crossing out parts of the contract ahead of time, and thereby not fully informing their customers of their insurance options). Also, I personally was rushed through signing my contract. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

My deep sympathies for what you've been through. I know personally how manipulative and unkind these folks are. They lost so many things which can not be replaced -- artwork I made, things given to me by my grandmother, who is no longer living. It's just stuff, but still, it angers me deeply.

In solidarity,
Eve

DSM27

Postby DSM27 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi! Sorry to hear about your experience with FPM. I also had the bad luck of using them this summer right before they went out of business. Besides all the damages, they stole a lot of my furniture. I also had a nice art collection which I actually took myself--I was too worried to give it to them, call it a gut feeling. At the last minute on the day of my move I decided to just drive the paintings there myself. One good thing I did... other than that it was a disaster. Anyway thanks to some info I got through this forum I was able to contact their real insurance company. It didn't come to close to covering my loses. but it was better than getting ZERO! So if you like, you can call them, they were very helpful:

TRAVELERS PROPERTY CASUALTY CO. OF AMERICA
Attn: BRENDA MANTEI
Address: 1 TOWER SQUARE, 5GS
HARTFORD, CT US 06183
Telephone: (860) 277 - 2682
Fax: (800) 797 - 8945
Policy/Surety # QT-660-7653B152-TIL-05
Effective: 05/16/2005 to 08/31/2007

Best of luck!

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:38 am

they probably can't hide behind the legal protections most legal movers use to keep customers from their assets.

Jim...do you want to elaborate. Comments like this only show your ignorance of the industry and the law.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Jim...do you want to elaborate. Comments like this only show your ignorance of the industry and the law.

Fred - then here's something you didn't know eh.....

The Carmack Amendment limits liability for legitimate licensed movers, but if the mover lost their license and did the move illegally, they are no longer a legit mover under the law and can be subject to both civil and criminal penalties. About a year ago, there was a woman who came to the site with the same situation and her lawyer agreed with my assessment of Carmack in that it does not protect a mover who is no longer a mover under the law. She never wrote back to me indicating whether she was successful in her pursuit - I am hopeful one day she will.

Scam movers are able to operate because under the law, if they file all of their paperwork and do their necessary quarterly filings - they are a moving company and they avoid the criminal charges Carmack can't protect them from. Scam movers only have to do the minimal filings and the law protects them from everything. If they don't file - they're screwed.

I know of what I speak.... 8) Never be so quick to judge. :lol:
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:17 pm

sd;lsdalhfsdflj
Last edited by bigmove on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:40 pm

CARMACK governs the interstate transportation of goods, not just the moving industry. When you change CARMACK you are changing the rules that apply to all forms of trucking, railroads, airline and inland shipping.

Your phrase mentioned "legal" movers, so define the term "legal mover". That definition has not existed since deregulation.

Anybody and his brother can hang out a shingle that says " I am a mover" and as long as he is cheap the public will beat a path to his door but when they get screwed by him, you lump him with those who actually make a living doing this and do it well.

If you want the industry controlled then it cannot be done under Carmack
but effective Jan 1 2008 your government has wiped it hands of control.
You can thank yourselves for what will follow.

EveAbrams

Postby EveAbrams » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Dear DSM27 and dal45

Do you know what kind of coverage you had? Was it the $.60/pound?

On my contract, the replacement value coverage section was COMPLETELY crossed out by Fixed Price. Did they do this to your contract as well? And were you, like me, rushed through the signing process?

I'd love to talk more with both of you about how you were treated by Fixed Price -- either via email or phone or right here. It would be really, really helpful for me in dealing with my case.

Thanks so much,
Eve

DSM27

Postby DSM27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:51 am

Eve, They crossed out the coverage option and my only choice was the .60 per pound. I didn't know this until they came to pick up my stuff. It was my own fault that I didn't purchase additional coverage on my own--live and learn! Feel free to message me if you like.

Return to “Open Community”