Southern CA move this week-end...booked with US Moving Experts, Inc from LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BRIDGETSTEPP

Southern CA move this week-end...booked with US Moving Experts, Inc from LA

Postby BRIDGETSTEPP » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm getting really nervous about my decision to use this company after reading several horror stories about Amex. I thought I had checked this company out but I may not have done a good enough job. This is my 1st time using a moving company so I was sceptical to begin with. Did I make a bad choice with this company? It's Monday & my move is scheduled for Saturday. I'm wondering if I should put a stop to this right away. Please anyone with additional information on this company please send me a message. I'm getting sick at my stomach over this now & don't want them to possibly hold our stuff hostage...like I've read in other messages.
Thanks;
Bridget

Rick

Re: Southern CA move this week-end...booked with US Moving Experts, Inc fro

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Suggest you follow your instincts and cancel the job tomorrow, especially if you are moving out state. That still gives you several days to arrange another company. It is slow enough in the industry right now that you should still be able to arrange a Saturday move with one of the reputable movers in the Los Angeles market. It might cost a little bit more but the piece of mind will probably be worth it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Cancel immediately. Amexmovers, Inc. has an "F" rating with the Los Angeles BBB, with 53 complaints over the past 36 months - http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... =100013911

BBB says: "Complainants allege the actual cost of the move exceeds the original estimate due to hidden charges, incorrect figures, or other previously undisclosed fees such as fuel charges, wrapping, or credit card fees. Some customers complain they were asked to sign blank contracts, or that a sub-contractor was used with the same name as the company, a different address, and different charges for services. Other customers complain the company caused damage to their home or personal property during the course of the move, movers arrived late, or in some cases, not at all. In other cases, complainants allege movers are incompetent, talked on cell phones, took frequent breaks, and failed to disassemble or re-assemble furniture as agreed.

"The company responds to most complaints by denying allegations of inappropriate charges, or claiming that discounts were provided at the time of the move for minor damages. Other responses inform customers that they may file a claim for any damages, and they will be reimbursed in accordance with their insurance guidelines. The company addressed complaints alleging incompetent personnel by advising the complainant to file a claim to initiate an investigation. Some responses did not address the complainants allegations, and were referred back to the company for reconsideration."

Registration info from WHOIS for www.usmovingexperts.com:
Ernestas Dranseika (ernestas@usa.com)
+1.3106898635
1902 Overland ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Also has the website www.amexmovers.com

There is a complaint about them under the name Amex here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11743

If this is a local move, call Don at STS Movers to see whether he can move you. From the Superlist linked to under my name:
--STS Movers (independent) in Westminster, also dba Schwartz Transportation Services. [Legal name is Donald R. Schwartz.]
This company with MC #527192 has the website www.stsmovers.com and the phone 714-791-5547. It is licensed to do interstate moves. The owner, Don Schwartz, posts on MovingScam as "donatsts" and has made some helpful comments here. He is listed on www.uship.com with the user ID "22mover" and as of 7/07 he had about 20 positive comments there. He also accepts loading and unloading jobs from MovingStaffers (listed on the ABF U-Pack website.)
In 7/07 Carla McKinney moving from Lakewood, CA to Canada had STS load her ABF truck. As it turned out, her moving blankets, bubble wrap, and rope purchased through ABF didn't arrive in time so Don also supplied those (he had picked some supplies up from Pioneer Packing just in case). Carla posted that "he and his colleague are doing a wonderful job; they were prompt and extremely professional packing and movoing my things and they have been very efficient (they have been here less than three ours and will b done inprobably 30 minutes!)":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14266 (loading help)
"Kyle" reported in 8/07 that Don had done both business-related moves and personal moves for him and he was very pleased with Don, describing him as "efficient and careful." Both types of moves included storage in the STS warehouse in San Bernardino:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14502 (within-CA with storage)
There is another very good review posted by "aeest400" in 8/07 saying that Don moved him from Los Angeles to Monterey, CA, on very short notice for $2000 and did it in one day with three helpers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14544 (within-CA)

You could also call Delancey Street Movers in Los Angeles at 323-890-2300. Ask for Koop or Dan Jarvis (supervisors). Here is their review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BRIDGETSTEPP

Postby BRIDGETSTEPP » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Thank you Diane for the great info!

I did cancel the movers with Amex this morning & told them I had 3 guys volunteer their time for us on Saturday. I'll see if we get the $100 deposit back, that hasn't shown up on our debit card yet. I was told to call a different # to get a confirmation & the money should be returned in 3 days. I guess we will wait & see???

I just checked out Schwartz & was quite impressed with what I read. I just talked to Don & unfortunately he maybe booked already for this week-end. We are looking at possibly a Monday move, even though I wanted this over with this week-end.

We are only moving 9 miles away & starting to move most of the boxes ourselves starting tonight. Hopefully there won't be much leftover for this week-end. Do you have any other ideas of someone that can do this on Saturday? With this being the 1st time needing to hire a mover, I'm very nervous about the entire process.

I've talked to & received information from 15 different moving companies. Some others I'm strongly considering are Prodigy Moving & Storage, Express Relocation, Across America Move, Moving Experts, or My American Movers. All of the quotes are pretty similar in price but I don't know anything about any of them. We are at the point where we may try to pull off this move ourselves with very limited help. We always moved ourselves in the past but had a lot of family around to help too. No we have no family around & very few volunteers to help out. I really think we are at the point where we have to hire someone.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:14 pm

Across America has an "F" rating at the BBB - throw them out.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:52 pm

Bridget,

All of the movers you mention in your last post sound very iffy to me. Please do not use any of them.

Did you call Delancey Street? They are excellent. Otherwise, I've met the owner of ABC Movers in Huntington Beach and I thought he was good. See the Superlist under Orange County for contact info. I'm a little hampered by the fact that I don't know where you're moving from and to, but ABC goes to Los Angeles. They might also be able to refer you to friends who could send a couple of workers.

You seem to be posting from Murrieta. If so, you could shoot a PM to "BigLeeCalif" because he lives in the area and might be able to recommend someone informally.

BRIDGETSTEPP

Postby BRIDGETSTEPP » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:17 pm

I'm sorry, but I just noticed I didn't mention the moving locations. I'm moving from Wildomar to Lake Elsinore, both in the Inland Empire. It's only a 9 mile move.

I did decide against all of the previous listed movers though. I got smart & went to the BBB site & began looking at local movers & their ratings. There are more movers in this area than I was aware of. I haven't started calling them yet though. The date of the move is a bit flexible but I would prefer to get it over with this week-end since our lease begins at the new house on the 10th.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Better than the BBB is to go to www.eMove.com and choose a high-rated company from there. Most are unlicensed and uninsured but if you choose one with excellent reviews you should be OK. Many provide just moving labor . . . not labor plus a truck. You might have to rent the truck (if needed).

Alternatively, you could call one of the van line agents listed under the Inland Empire on our Superlist to see whether they could supply workers. A very good one is Golden Eagle in Upland at www.goldeneaglemoving.com and its phone is 800-328-4367.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”