Planes in Kentucky - an unfavorable experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Michael B

Planes in Kentucky - an unfavorable experience

Postby Michael B » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 am

I have read many positive comments on Planes - but am in the middle of a not so good experience with them right now in Kentucky. I am moving my Aunt to the Chicago area, into an assisted living facility. The move is small, primarily personal things. The furniture is a few chairs, a special motorized bed and a special motorized chair for people with serious disabilities. Their (Planes) quote was the most expensive but had the best delivery commitment - a firm 7 day window.

Once packed and on the road they were slow to provide the actual delivery date. The window has come and gone, ending the day before yesterday. They now commit to monday of next week. This delay has a serious impact on a disabled person, something I have made clear to them - to no avail. They did explain the reason for the delay - thy went to pick up an additional unscheduled shipment and have had to wait until it is ready.

I even suggested they refund the difference between their price and the next highest bid - which probably would be arriving right now. The response of their rep was to ask me for "a little latitude". This last comment put me over the top - which is why I am here. I'm just venting right now.

In summary, Planes may be a very good moving company - but their execution is not consistent and their customer service is also uneven.

Michael

Diane

Re: Planes in Kentucky - an unfavorable experience

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:53 am

Sorry about your experience. I assume that you booked through the Chicago office since Planes doesn't have an office in Kentucky. Or did you book through Indianapolis?

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35 pm

The shipment was probably booked by the Planes office in Cincinnati but dispatched thru their corporate office in Indy.

Having a service failure on this type of relocation is particularly unsettling for everyone involved because of the heightened emotional threshold for both the family and the driver. It’s easy to understand your frustration and I’m sorry if your Aunt is unduly inconvenienced. If it helps, many assisted living facilities have extra furniture available to temporarily meet their tenant’s needs in case of such delays.

Unfortunately, like most carrier’s, Planes has probably been juggling how to provide service on a small order with a shortened delivery window against shrinking capacity as many drivers have elected to go out of service in the last week for the opening of hunting season and to be home for Thanksgiving. Not an excuse; simply an explanation.

Delay claims typically don’t apply on small orders but your Aunt’s shipment may have been booked on an expedited basis since you mentioned that the price was more for a shortened delivery spread. Here’s a link to United’s claims process it you want to try filing for some type of inconvenience. http://www.unitedvanlines.com/PublicApp ... im/view.do

Michael B

Postby Michael B » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Diane and Rick, thanks for responding.

My Aunt will not likely want to file a claim - it's not her nature. I would also not, as compensation doesn't solve the basic problem.

Rick, your suggested explanation is quite likely correct. As you said, not an excuse. Also, not a justification. They knew the size of the move and the time requirements before making the quote. I see here a situation which they foresaw this yet went ahead with the contract. In other words, it was deliberate.

I will submit a complaint to United, although I don't expect a reaction from them. More damage will result from boards like this and negative feedback to family and friends. It's a shame - it takes so much effort to build a good reputation and so little to lose it.

Regards, Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Did you book through the Chicago office or through Planes' Ohio HQ? What is the first name of your sales rep? I just want to keep things straight for the Superlist.

Return to “Open Community”