Move from Texas to Kansas

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
songbird

Move from Texas to Kansas

Postby songbird » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:09 pm

I am moving from Fort Worth to near Wichita, Kansas. Perhaps someone can help me if they know about some of these companies. I have in-home estimates scheduled so far with: Garrett Transportation (Atlas) of Ft. Worth, All My Sons of Dallas, and Daryl Flood (Allied) of Coppell, TX.

Another company I am considering is Coast to Coast Van Lines, Inc. of Texas. This is not the same company as the one on the blacklist in Florida, I don't think. The license number is different. The web site is www.c2cvanlines.com. I am considering them, but just a little bit leary because I have not heard of them before.

Any help would be appreciated.

farrah7031

Re: Move from Texas to Kansas

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Drop them immediately. They've only had an interstate license since August of this year:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Drop All My Sons also.

songbird

Postby songbird » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:57 pm

I guess my gut feeling is right again! And I also had a bit of a funny feeling about All My Sons. Thank you SO MUCH, Farrah!

I think I will call a couple more companies to feel them out.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:17 pm

Daryl Flood has good reviews and comments here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7118#77118
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:12 am

Some good agents to call would be Armstrong (United) Arpin America (Paul Arpin - ask for Ron Cox and let him know Michael suggested you call, he will in all likelyhood turn it over to his sales person but lRon will et them know the importance).
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

songbird

Postby songbird » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 am

Thank you, Diane, that is a great thread!

Thank you, Michael, I will call them Monday morning.

I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Janet :)

songbird

Postby songbird » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:54 pm

I now have four estimates. I only intended to get three, but it just happened that way. Here are my impressions:

Garrett Transportation (Atlas): 4,697 lbs., $2,038.39. I don't know why, but I really was not impressed. Just not a good gut feeling...and charges more for an extra stop at a mini-storage than others. Something inside me is screaming, "No!", so I will honor that.

Armstrong Relocation (United): 3,999 lbs., $1,879.58. I was very impressed with the young man who came to do the estimate. No extra charge for any kind of boxes, including packing the mirrors and keyboard, and he will bring me any other boxes I need for free (I am unable to drive). I have a very good feeling.

Arpin Van Lines: 4,613 lbs., $2,270.39. I just feel kind of indifferent about this company. This man was insisting that they shuttle the stuff to storage, which is $729.00 and I know a semi can get in there.

Daryl Flood (Allied): 4,000 lbs., $2,021.28. I was also very impressed with this very nice lady who came to do the estimate. I also have a good feeling about this company.

I am going to call Armstrong back and ask him a few questions, and if I still feel good, I am going to go with them (unless someone knows of a reason this may not be a good idea).

I am hoping this information may be useful to someone else later. I will check back in to let you know how things go.

Janet :)

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:24 pm

Are you having a 2nd stop at storage? Did all of your estimators see this storage space? Is this storage for pick up or drop off?

Was the Armstrong estimate a Binding, Option C, Guaranteed not to exceed? If not, call and find out what it would be. That way you pay less if it weighs less, but you will not pay more if it weighs more.

songbird

Re: *Move from Texas to Kansas

Postby songbird » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Yes, I am having a second stop at storage. It is a drop-off about a mile from my mother's home, where I am moving. None saw it because it is in Kansas. However, I have seen it, and my mom and the storage owner (a friend) both say there is more than enough room for a semi.

Yes, it is a Guaranteed Not to Exceed binding estimate. This is interesting...I just checked my Arpin estimate in my email, and it says nothing about guaranteed not to exceed. All of the others are.

These estimates all have full valuation coverage figured in.

I am waiting for the Armstrong guy to call me back.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Arpin uses the term "Accu-Quote" for a Binding Not to Exceed estimate - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=15

Why can't they all use the same terminology? Go figure!

songbird

Postby songbird » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:29 pm

Gee, there are a lot of different terms! I wonder why they want us to be confused.

Actually, I see the Arpin estimate says nothing about binding, non-binding, accuquote, or anything. That seems strange. If I were actually considering them, I would call and get an explanation.

I decided to go with Armstrong. I feel good about it. I hope I am right!

I am very proud of myself. I called the three places I decided against and told them so they would not be left hanging. I am the type of person who has a hard time even returning an item at the store (assertiveness does not come naturally to me) so that was not easy.

I am so glad this site is here. It really opened my eyes. I found it by "accident"....but I don't believe it was an accident.

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 am

I totally forgot to come back here and post the results of my move. I used Armstrong Relocation (United) and the move could not have gone better. The driver showed up right on time in Fort Worth, where my niece was there to oversee things. The loading all was with no problems. Then, two days later, my stuff was here right on time. It was a Mayflower truck and driver, and he had a helper from an agent in Wichita...I believe the agent is called Thomas Transfer. They were super nice and went out of their way to make sure I was happy. Not one thing was broken. The Armstrong moving coordinator kept in touch with me, although he never did call me back after the move like he said he would. I would highly recommend this agent and would definitely use them again.

Return to “Open Community”