NOT Happy

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lukenlaurafan77

NOT Happy

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:31 pm

I posted here that I was moving back to MD From CO and had contacted Ace and they contracted BEkins for the move. I was told they were ok. They were NOT. Moving day comes and of course they were late(no biggie). Guy comes from Salt Lake City and then has 2 local men he hired meet him to help. They packed and loaded everything in 4 hrs. Very fast. I was impressed. However, they loaded my suitcase filled with clothes after I had explained that didn't go. So the leader goes I'll have to charge you $20 per man per hr to find the suitcase. It was after hrs and I could not contact Ace about this. I argued with the driver and he finally found the suitcase after getting very shitty with me. It was NOT my fault because I told them not to pack it. So they leave and they were coming to drop off the following Sat. Turns out they got there thurs, which was fine by me. He had 1 extra guy and it took 10 hrs to unload what took 4 hrs to load. TONS of my stuff was broken and 5 boxes are missing. I immediately filled out a claim and contacted ACE. They were still looking for my boxes. I had full protection insurance coverage so I will be reminbursed for the broken items. WHat about the missing boxes though? I had EXPENSIVE dolls in 1 box and dvds in another. I find this completely unacceptable. I thought this was a highly reputable company? The driver could have cared less.

Rick

Re: **NOT Happy With Bekins Northwest

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Sorry. Normally the driver should have asked you to remove the suitcase before he started the move. Arguing about his mistake was wrong even it he inventoried the suitcase before loading it. The damaged/lost items may have resulted if he had to dig through the load in order to retrieve it.

There really is no way to explain the difference in the loading and unloading time except if there were some difficulty at destination that the driver hadn’t anticipated when arranging his labor. Typically unloading goes faster than loading

It’s difficult to say how Atlas would administer a missing item(s) claim without knowing who packed the carton and how the contents were shown on the inventory. Settlement for the full value would be considered if the carrier packed the carton. Expect an uphill battle if you packed the carton and carrier didn’t inspect the contents. Regardless of who’s responsible, share your story with Atlas when their customer survey arrives since an unflattering response could impact the driver’s quality scores.

lukenlaurafan77

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:32 pm

just because they didn't pack the boxes does not make them any less responsible. THEY lost my items, or stole them(which I think was the case personally). THe driver had 1 week with my items and they just disappear. So you're saying basically having full insurance coverage means nothing because unless they packed my items I'm screwed and they'll pay me what they wish? If that's the case that's REALLY not fair.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:15 pm

lukeandlaura,

Do you honestly think you have something that this driver hasnt seen or moved before a million times??? Can theft happen, of course it can. But boxes ending up missing happens more then something getting stolen. How it happens I have no idea. Sometimes they get delivered by mistake to another home (like my grandmother). You expressed how upset the driver became when he had to unload your goods the first time, do you honestly think he would enjoy doing it a second time for some cd's and other items gone missing??? Personally I think your responsible for the suitcases being taken and loaded, even if you did tell them. I agree they should have been placed somewhere outside the home, like in your car, where this would not have happened or in a closet with a sign on it saying do not load, do not move. The good thing is you did catch it in time. The bad thing was the drivers attitude towards you (which I agree with you 100% was not called for).

In regards to valuation, if these dolls are as expensive as you say I am sure you put them on your high value inventory. You are liable for what you pack, but if the box arrives in a different condition then stated on the inventory and you note it on your bingo sheet at time or delivery, or missing, then yes the valuation you purchased will cover you for those missing items within the missing boxes.

If they do not find the missing boxes, and they were on your inventory, then they will ask you to file a claim for the items in the box's. You will have to the best of your ability try to remember what was in them and value of the missing items. The van line will double check the drivers delivery points and call those customers to double check they werent accidentally dropped off in another home. If that is unsuccessful they will request you go through the normal claim procedures.

I am like you, I dont understand how things just disappear but somehow things do and its very frustrating, I KNOW. But I think more things go missing in this industry with the good guys then they do get stolen. And believe me I have seen it all.

Keep us posted on what happens.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:26 pm

I didn’t mean to imply that the carrier would definitely limit their liability simply because you packed yourself, but it is a possibility under the consumer protection regulations. http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... urance.htm

“Keep in Mind ...

Some of your actions may limit your mover's liability. These include:
• Packing perishable, dangerous or hazardous materials in your household goods without your mover's knowledge.
• Packing your own boxes. You may consider packing your own household goods articles to reduce your costs, but if the articles you pack are damaged, it may be more difficult to establish your claim against the mover for the boxes you pack.
• Choosing Released Value coverage when your household goods are valued at more than 60 cents per pound per article.
• Failing to notify your mover in writing about articles of extraordinary value.”

Here’s the difficulty. How does a customer defend or the carrier verify that a missing carton that was packed by the owner actually contained the priceless crystal, rare stamp collection, solid gold bars, extraordinary jewelry, Mom and Dad’s ashes or state-of-the art electronic equipment etc if no extraordinary value was declared and the packer/driver didn’t see the claimed items before they were placed into the unmarked box?

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:54 am

Rick- the answer is -- The High Value Inventory form- We as salespeople are supposed to provide and explain the form to EVERY potential interstate customer-

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 pm

You’re right Chris but unfortunately I don’t see any mention of a HVI form in the customer’s previous posts.

A High Value Inventory makes it much easier for all parties involved when it comes time to adjudicate a missing items claim. A customer should insist on filling one out before the normal inventory process is even started if the sales person or driver doesn’t ask them to complete one.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Even if the shipper has a high value inventory the driver must check and inspect that "PBO".

I tell shippers you could have a bunch of rocks in there for all we know. Thus the driver must either pack your high value items or at the very least inspect and repack if necessary those "PBO's" being claimed as high value.
Michael

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I can't tell you how many times I get to residence, find out I'm the 4th one in and the first to discuss the high value- THere are times when I think that we are the only carrier that requires it-

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:41 pm

. . . but maybe the companies you are competing with are dubious or scammers. If so, they will try to prevent customers from selecting anything but the basic 60 cents/pound coverage, since they know there will probably be significant damage.

Regarding Bekins Northwest's office in Colorado Springs, it won a Milton Hill Award from Atlas in 2004 and World Class Commitment Awards in 2004 and 2006. As of 11/07 it had no BBB complaints over the past 12 months. Personally I believe that it will handle this customer's claim in an honorable way.

Fred0844

Re: NOT Happy With Bekins Northwest

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Suitcases etc.

I tell my customers to put things that they are taking either in a car or if they don't have a car, put them in a conspicuous place....like the bathtub.

Rob Vassar

Postby Rob Vassar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:20 pm

First of all I want to apologize for your dissatisfaction. I am Robert Vassar and I manage the Bekins Northwest office in Colorado Springs. I can tell you we did assist Ace with your relocation, however, we did not haul your shipment. The Driver that did haul your shipment is emploeyd by another agency. He did contact Bekins Northwest and request assistance in loading, we complied. As for the additional funds to find your suitcase we never authorized this or could have. I do apologize for your situation, however, as stated earlier we only assisted the Driver. If you contact me I will do everything in my power to help resolve your issues. The agency that the Driver works for will want to know as well.
Sincerely
Robert Vassar

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:50 pm

She should be contacting the booking agent.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Robert Vassar of Bekins Northwest/Colorado Springs is a stand-up guy to come on this messageboard and explain things like that. He let us know who was to blame in a courteous, dignified way and offered his assistance. Bravo!

Because responsibility was divided, the customer was blaming Bekins Northwest when the driver was actually at fault.

Michael

Re: NOT Happy

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:27 pm

When it comes down to it, it is the booking agents job. Thus the responsibility of the booking agent. Get it settled and then let the booker go to the hauler or let corp go to the hauler.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”