Packing Lamps advice? (and a bonus ramble about Studley Moving)

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
jage

Packing Lamps advice? (and a bonus ramble about Studley Moving)

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 am

We have a number of halogen floor lamps some with glass bowls- I'm concerned about packing them with other items (in a ReloCube or on an ABF trailer).

Last move the professional movers just threw a blanket around them, can't remember if they took them apart or not. But considering that they also broke one in half as a distraction technique* and about 30% of our other stuff wound up damaged I'm a little leery of copying their method.

*For those interested the first thing the moving driver did was bring me in the truck at the new location and show me our favorite lamp taken into 3 pieces after being broken in half. It was quite staged, he later even told me how he locked his keys in the back of the truck while rambling about something else. Why was he even in there? After unloading the driver rushed me to sign the release papers so we could rush to Target and immediately replace the lamp, where he knew a similar model to be in stock. It was my wife's favorite lamp which was sad, and the Target version is light wood instead of dark but we never saw the glass bowl or bulb or a single shard of glass anywhere. All the other lamps were deep in the truck, and all were packed early, except apparently this one. Actually they even packed a similar cheap lamp we were leaving for the realtor and couldn't get it out because it was so buried in the mom's attic section, and the main truck hadn't even started to be loaded.... Arg, it's been so long since I thought about how much the movers took advantage of us, the lamp is just one thing... sorry to ramble.

Soooo......
Any advice on packing the lamps?

Diane

Re: Packing Lamps advice? (and a bonus ramble about my scamming mover)

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:51 am

I wrapped my floor lamps well in blankets and stood them on end behind the sofa, which was itself standing on end in one corner. (You are supposed to put the back of the sofa toward the load, and if your sofa is longer than the inside height of the ReloCube, people have posted that it's OK to slant it.)

I took off the glass bowls and took out the bulbs and packed them separately in a box with a lot of paper around them. I didn't take the floor lamps apart, if by that you mean breaking them down into sections and folding them (if you have the cheap metal kind with the cord inside like I did).

Professional movers have also posted that you can wrap floor lamps in blankets and lay them on top of the load - after removing the glass or paper shades and bulbs, of course.

If you want to describe your last move in more detail, I'd be interested to read why you think the company scammed you.

jage

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:48 am

They showed up 4 hours late and started packing. When I asked to see the light load ticket the owner was up in the truck packing our stuff, then left during a break and "took the ticket with him". He couldn't be reached the rest of the day and I never saw any load ticket.

I followed them around like a hawk and watched them document and tag all my items. Then I watched the documenter sit on my front porch and finish filling out the forms. Once all my stuff was on the truck, they handed the paperwork to me and every single item was marked with dents, scratches and chips on ever single face. Chairs, fridge everything. I noticed a few oddities like the Washer was marked with an extra dent in the top after everything else. I demanded to see my items, this dent in particular and they refused to unload anything and fed me this BS about "this is just how it's done, the insurance guy will understand what is normal wear and tear that we've documented and what is damage from the move". They wouldn't let me see my stuff and wouldn't leave until I signed the papers. We were late for our holiday plans thanks to them being late to show up, and so I had no choice.

After I signed she gave me a little book "Your rights and responsibilities" you know the one...

Four days later they claimed a Turbo had blown on the truck and they wouldn't be there until four days from then. I had had them guarantee delivery, but "an act of God" was the exception, so a blown turbo was a get-out-of jail free card. They brought some bogus receipt but nothing about the story made sense. After they unloaded my stuff I saw that the 4 hour delay had been from taking another mover's overflow and I'm convinced they came up with the blown turbo to make my move match their overflow delivery in LA.

They promised that the same crew would unload my stuff as loaded it. I was even like, are you serious? You would drive 4-5 guys in a truck all the way from Indianapolis to Tucson? The answer was yes, he acted surprised that I would think otherwise. It was a big factor in choosing them.. ha, they also promised their guys would take care of my stuff!

They brought load tickets that didn't make any sense and left me with a huge huge bill. I threw the little book at them and only paid 10% more than the estimate. It was clear that the driver wanted to threaten to hold my stuff from his side of the conversation with his boss. Only after threatening his boss with the book and paying them 110% of the estimate did they move the truck into the driveway.

During this (while waiting for a call back from the boss) the driver told me this overblown story about seeing another moving truck go through this one section of I-10 too fast and wreck. He made sure I understood it had happened right in front of him, and oh, that could have been my stuff, and it just smacked of a yarn designed to make me so thankful that my stuff had not been strewn all over the highway.

The lamp thing happened and after that I videotaped the whole unload, some of which they didn't know about because the camera battery went out and I had to move it and plug it in.

Our stuff was trashed. The sides of the dryer look like they were kicked in and the extra "dent" on the washer? Like it was hit with a pipe! Both were so new that the protective plastic was still on the controls.

I tried to talk to the driver about some of the more obvious damage and he immediately hid behind the sheets where every item was documented as damaged. He offered to "fix" several things and made it pretty clear that by fix he meant to jam over-sized screws in or bang on things until they looked like they'd hold together. After he smashed all the brad nails flat in my bookcase that had come apart I wouldn't let him try to fix anything else.

When they were done he had this whole line about how they had to get to Target because the moving temps they hired (of course the crew didn't come from Indiana) were mad because the moment the last stick came off the truck they weren't getting paid and I had to hurry up and sign that all items were there, in good shape and we had to rush to Target and get my wife's favorite lamp replaced. I don't think I signed, I think I refused but it's been 10½ months after all.

We bought the similar lamp at Target and they were long gone.

I documented a laundry list of violations from the R&R book, including that they'd provided me the book after loading. They tried the whole "you don't get insurance until after you pay in full." crap but of course with all the everything is damaged documentation I knew I'd never see a cent. I documented how many items they marked as damaged were not, and others that had damage (some pre-dating the move) were not documented at all. I have a pic of our two kitchen chairs, documented exactly the same, and one has a big scratch back and forth across the seat and the other is perfect. They overcharged me for insurance and also upped the bracket I agreed to.. on and on...

I put all this at length into a letter and said, "based on all this I will pay you X additionally and not file any claims or pursue additional action" or something like that. I said I'd videotaped the whoe thing, and mentioned seeing some things that turned out to be damaged coming quietly out of the back of the truck instead of the side.

The owner eventually agreed, I'm not sure if it was the bit of money he otherwise would never be able to collect otherwise or the threat of the bogus load tickets and fake receipt and all the violations, which I'm sure they knew how serious any of that might be and I do not.

They were a small company and one of four quotes I got. They were known to two of the big movers I interviewed and one even mentioned they were used as overflow assistance on a regular basis. The quote was as reasonable and included free moving supplies (which they later charged us for). The owners were directly involved at every step, including loading, until I asked to see the light load ticket of course and suddenly they were nowhere to be found and didn't know a single thing about my move.

I'd done all the research possible and read the R&R book (that another mover had provided at quote time) before choosing them. I thought I had ever reason to believe they would treat my stuff with respect and be more or less fair. I think I got lucky that we didn't get taken for more or wind up in a protracted battle for our stuff or insurance reimbursement.

In retrospect every word out of their mouths was designed to work me over, all the timing was designed to keep me off balance (who is going to demand a trip to the scale for a light load ticket when they're already 4 hour overdue?). Everything seemed tailored to take maximum advantage of us.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:07 am

And this mover was???

In regards to movers claiming the same crew goes with the driver, meaning 4 other guys, that is just hog wash. You have to keep in mind this company has local business to maintain as well. Just like everyone else. And if they do all the moving they claim to do then they cant afford to have 4 guys go with the driver for such a distance as yours.

Usually drivers might have one person who drives with them. Sometimes it might be a husband and wife team. Sometimes it will be the drivers cousin, uncle, or older kids (sometimes even younger kids).

Even Moovers, highly recommneded here, hires labor at origin and destination as mentioned in a few post.

Even major van lines, who have the benefit of the agency system, dont get their labor from the designated agent all the time. I have seen drivers get their labor from the street, labor ready forces, and from other agencies.

Your better, stonger, more financially sound companies will do everything they can to follow the book and rules within the parent company when it comes to labor. They know what they can and cannot commit to and will not lead the customer astray with bull$#%^ promises. (The recent Planes story not included).
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

jage

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:29 am

Michael wrote:And this mover was???

In regards to movers claiming the same crew goes with the driver, meaning 4 other guys, that is just hog wash.

Yeah, they claimed to do Indy to Phoenix runs all the time too. It was all bullshit, and I had a strong suspicion it was. They told me what I wanted to hear and I called them out on it, and they stuck to it. There were a lot of family within the company and I wasn't going to tell the guy how to run his business, if he wanted to bring a whole crew 1700 miles for the same price... well I wasn't suprised when they didn't but it is hard to corner a liar who believes his own BS and keeps pushing it like God's honest truth.

I'm not sure the name of the mover matters, unless you're in Indianapolis and the owners are Dan and Darrell and Dan's last name is also on the truck, I wouldn't worry about crossing paths with these guys. Take it more as a general what to avoid story.

jage

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:33 am

Actually I take that back. I was suprised to see they turned up on here before:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13493&highlight=studley

So that would be Dan Studley with Studley Moving and Storage in Indianapolis. Had their license revoked at least twice according to the thread.

Hope this helps someone else avoid them!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:02 am

That is why the name of the company is important, so others can avoid them or think twice before using them and having an experience similar to yours.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Actually several smaller van lines and executive relocation companies do provide that same crew throughout the entire move. Clark and Reid, based in Billerica, MA and Barrington, IL, and New World Van Lines, headquartered in Chicago, are two of the more prominent "boutique" movers that provide this service nationwide.

J K Moving and Storage, (Springfield, VA), Hilldrup Moving and Storage, (Stafford, VA) and Stevens Van Lines (Michigan and Ohio) have several drivers who provide the same driver and laborers to pack, load, drive, unload, and unpack all of their customers.

Generally the pricing on moves handled this way reflects the level of the driver's involvement. It's not cheap and that's why most companies/drivers don't do it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm

I see in the former thread that I felt they were a small company strapped for funds, but not necessarily a scammer. Now I'm not sure. I'll list them on the Superlist for Indiana with a Caution symbol in front of their name. I'm thinking that they might be OK for local moves. I admit to being influenced by the fact that somebody posted on the other thread that they were recommended on Angie's List.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Packing Lamps advice? (and a bonus ramble about Studley Moving)

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:55 pm

I would like to clarify that the mover that had the "turbo blow" can't claim a mechanical malfunction as an act of God.

An act of God is what we had here in Southern California last month, where we had to cancel and reschedule moves for a week due to the fires. Even though some were arson, obviously we had no control of it.

A mechanical breakdown, while sometimes unforeseen, is that. A Breakdown. This company should have honored your delay claim.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

jage

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:03 pm

They had one, maybe two sterling reviews on Angie's list, which is another reason we went with them. There was a bad review too which they explained away. I didn't post anything negative to Angie's list after my experience because they'd closed the Angie's list account by the time I was moving... I went back to check their reviews and the list said they had closed the account, so were no longer on the list. I believe I could have still reviewed them but there didn't seem to be a point... I didn't realize they'd just reopen the Angie's list account after the stuff with me or other clients had blown over.

And my goal isn't to trash them or get them blacklisted, I'm just hoping that other people who get sweet talked by them find this before they commit. Even if I'd read my own story before the move I probably still would have gone with them. They shake hands on commitments and there is a real down home, small business, we'll take care of you attitude that is hard to resist.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:19 pm

What do you mean by "they closed the account" on Angie's List? Does money change hands in some way? If so, this would seem to make the list less trustworthy.

jage

Postby jage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:22 pm

Huh according to the Angie's list website:

Companies don't pay to be on the List.

Let us say it again . . . companies don't pay to be on Angie's List. It is free for your company to be on the List. Companies are added to Angie's List when one of our members (a consumer who has used your services) tells us about their experience with your company in a member report. It only takes one report to get on Angie's List. The List is strictly based on the feedback of area homeowners that are Angie's List members.

But I'm sure I went back and the reviews I'd read about them were no longer there and I remember reading something about how I could still post feedback. It's been a year, maybe they changed their policies or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

nelsonclassic

Postby nelsonclassic » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 am

Hello friend,

I know,its very difficult to pack lamps and to shift them safely is more difficult..
We also shifted last time a month ago,and we also had lots of crockeries and lamps,and most of them are my favourite,so I instructed specially that my lamps and crockeries should be shifted safely otherwise I am going to deduct a large cost of it..But I am happy that I don't have to do any thing like that because the professionals which we had hired were very nice and efficient,they not only kept care of my lamps but they also shifted our other items safely without any harm.
Especially, they kept our lamps and crockeries in a different box and covered them by lots of cotton,which prevented them from broking... so if you wish you can also hire them.
[url="http://www.smartboxusa.com/hampton-roads-moving-storage"]Mobile Storage Units[/url]

Nelson

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 am

We have a number of halogen floor lamps some with glass bowls- I'm concerned about packing them with other items

Don't Touch!

When replacing any halogen bulb, do not touch the glass envelope. The salts in your skin oils penetrate and weaken the glass. The bulb not only has a shorter life, but when the bulb dies the filament doesn't merely burn out, but rather the bulb envelope shatters. The light bulb industry calls it a "non-passive failure."

source: Electrical-Lighting.com

Use cloth between the hands and the bulb to remove the bulb.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”