Moved from Florida to Sydney Australia - the completed story!

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
terri888

Moved from Florida to Sydney Australia - the completed story!

Postby terri888 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi everyone, I thought it would be helpful for all of you still going through the awful process of international moving to hear my story from start to finish.

My family moved from Florida in July 07 to Sydney Australia. I found this forum after trying to find a decent quote on the internet - not very successful - but I was successful in finding out who not to use via this forum. I was advised to start with well known trucking companies in my local yellow pages. That is what I did, I called several and had at least 5-6 inhouse quotes done before we compared quotes and services and chose a moving company.

We settled on Unigroup Worldwide - they are the parent company for both Allied Van Lines and Mayflower. I dealt directly with Steve Wojtowicz
Internet Sales
Registered International Mover
ISO 2001 Certified
Unigroup Worldwide/UTS
Ph: 636-405-1328
800-283-9920
Fax: 636-405-1862
E-mail: steve_wojtowicz@unigroupworldwide.com

whom I was very impressed with, he answered all emails promptly and was happy to answer as many "stupid" questions as I threw at him. He quoted on a 20ft container with door to door delivery. His quote was $9068 USD, I added insurance to that and included elec malfunction also. The end amount that I paid including insurance was $10,053.40 so I was more than happy with the finished amount.

My shipment was loaded professionally on July 20 and left the following Saturday by sea. It did not arrive in Sydney until October 25th - a very long slow boat I believe.

I was contacted by the shipping agent in Sydney and told of its arrival, Australian Quarantine had to inspect the shipment - that cost me $440 AUD (extra) and they seized some Christmas decorations that apparently had pine cones in them (who knew??) and I paid $74 for them to destroy them. Australian Customs then cleared my shipment for release (without inspection - apparently a great majority of shipments are released in this fashion based on the inventory supplied by the shipping company) - I received delivery Nov 12th and am now happy in our new home.

I am happy I took out the extra electrical malfunction insurance as one of my computers is not working and also a transformer that I brought to work some US appliances. I am in the process of submitting a claim with the insurance company on that one. Apart from that I had only minor breakages of stuff we packed ourselves (coffee cups, one picture frame etc).

I was able to track my shipment via Steve in the US and email, which was great, it is a very unsettling feeling knowing that all your "stuff" is out there sailing around somewhere and hoping you have made all the right choices. All in all it has been a long, long process but Unigroup certainly delivered what they promised and kept me clearly informed.

If anyone has questions regarding the process I would be happy to let you know of my experiences, not that I am an expert, but I can let you know what our experience has been in this particular move.

Thanks to all the helpful people on the forum and I am happy to recommend Unigroup Worldwide as a prospective international mover.

Terri

farrah7031

Re: Moved from Florida to Sydney Australia - the completed story!

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm

That's great! Actually Mayflower and United Van lines are owned by Unigroup.

Who was the agent in Florida that packed and loaded your goods and who was the agent in Australia so we can give them credit?

terri888

Re: Moved from Florida to Sydney Australia - the completed story!

Postby terri888 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Mayflower Agent was A & A Transfer & Storage Inc from Ft Walton Beach FL 32547 850 244 7661 - turned up on time, packed everything so well I thought they actually overdid it! The agent in Sydney was Chess Moving/Hanley's Removals 02 9671 8400 - kept me informed of every delay and how things were progressing.

Return to “International Moves”