Bad Experience with Rainbow Movers/NAVL, Franklin, Mass.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tommassit

Bad Experience with Rainbow Movers/NAVL, Franklin, Mass.

Postby tommassit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm

I had a bad experience with Rainbow Movers based in Franklin, Mass. (North American Van Lines) this past August, moving from Massachusetts to Minnesota, and I thought I should post, since I originally went with them after reading all the positive reviews about Rainbow here.

In short, they were late in packing/loading, way late in delivery, and lousy in customer service.

Admittedly, I was naïve about the moving process--namely, I was stupid enough to believe what the estimator, Nick Frischer, and the relocation agent, Melissa Perez, promised me.

I had a small move (a one-bedroom apartment) from Cambridge, Mass., to St. Paul, Minn. I got estimates in June, and wanted to move in mid-August. Nick gave me a decent not-to-exceed quote, but what really swayed me was his guaranteed pickup and delivery dates. He said they would have a lot of trucks going back and forth to Minnesota in August, and it shouldn’t take more than 3 or 4 days for my things to get there. Each day it took longer, I would be compensated, Nick said.

Melissa gave me a pack/load window of Aug. 13-16, and a delivery window of Aug. 18-25. She said by the first of August, she’d be able to nail down the dates. I called her every day beginning Aug. 1, and it always went the same: she said she’d check to see if they’d assigned a driver and she’d call me back by the end of the day, but she never did.

Finally, on Friday afternoon, August 10, she said they were going to pack and load on Monday, Aug. 13, and would get to my apartment between 8 and 10 a.m. I spent the weekend preparing, and waited on Monday morning for the movers to arrive. They never did. At 10:30, I called Melissa, and she said she’d contact the dispatcher to find out what was going on. At 3 p.m., she finally called back and said it would have to be Tuesday, between 11 and 1. The next day, I waited. They didn’t show. I called at 1:30. They were running late, Melissa said, but would be there between 2 and 3. They finally came at 3:30.

The three movers did an okay job packing, but I could tell they weren’t real pros. One was a college kid who put a weight plate right beside the glass display front of a stereo in the same box, with only a piece of tissue paper between them (I discovered when I unpacked). It was pure luck the glass didn’t crack.

As I got off the plane in Minneapolis/St. Paul on Aug. 17, there was a voicemail from Melissa. She said unfortunately they wouldn’t be able to make the delivery window of Aug. 18-25. The earliest my things would get there would be Aug. 30.

I’d keep calling for an update, and Melissa would keep promising to call me back by the end of the day, but never would. I spent two weeks in a hotel. The 30th rolled around, and after I had arranged for the street to be cleared in front of the house with cones, I got a call that the truck wouldn’t be arriving until the 31st.

What happened to their guarantees and delay claims? Melissa admitted that I didn’t qualify for the weight minimum of 3,000 pounds to get compensation for the delays. But she and Nick knew this from the beginning: my estimate had been for 2,900 pounds. So they’d lied to me from the beginning.

There were also some scrapes and scratches to my furniture, but when I tried to go online to file a claim, I realized it would take me hours to do the forms and I probably wouldn’t get anything in return. Not worth it. Also, the North American website that was supposed to track my shipment by GPS was a crock: it didn’t tell me anything more than the estimated date of arrival.

And the last indignity was that it took over seven weeks to get the final invoice, and a week further to get credit for the lower actual weight. Melissa had told me in an email the invoice process would take only 7-10 days, but on the phone she denied she’d said that, even though I had the email.

farrah7031

Re: **Bad Experience with Rainbow Movers/NAVL, Franklin, Mass.

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 pm

Ouch. Did you try to contact the owner of Rainbow about this? I can't imagine they wouldn't try to do some good-willing here. Did you purchase additional valuation?

Diane

Re: Bad Experience with Rainbow Movers/NAVL, Franklin, Mass.

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 pm

tommassit wrote: I was naïve about the moving process--namely, I was stupid enough to believe what the estimator, Nick Frischer, and the relocation agent, Melissa Perez, promised me. . . . Melissa admitted that I didn’t qualify for the weight minimum of 3,000 pounds to get compensation for the delays. But she and Nick knew this from the beginning: my estimate had been for 2,900 pounds. So they’d lied to me from the beginning.

There were also some scrapes and scratches to my furniture, but when I tried to go online to file a claim, I realized it would take me hours to do the forms and I probably wouldn’t get anything in return. Not worth it. Also, the North American website that was supposed to track my shipment by GPS was a crock: it didn’t tell me anything more than the estimated date of arrival.

And the last indignity was that it took over seven weeks to get the final invoice, and a week further to get credit for the lower actual weight. Melissa had told me in an email the invoice process would take only 7-10 days, but on the phone she denied she’d said that, even though I had the email.

Not good. It appears that the primary problem here was that the sales rep Nick Frischer and the moving consultant Melissa Perez promised things that they knew (or should have known) to be false. I am removing the :thumbsup: symbol from this company in the Superlist. If the owner of Rainbow does something for this customer, it can always be restored.

smatwilly

Thats too bad because Rainbow is usually a good company

Postby smatwilly » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 am

But I will say I was shocked to see the comment about trucks going to MN all the time! That is one of the "famous" states for not getting coverage--especially from New England to MN---not to mention you moved at the worst time! -- Chances of getting your moved covered was slim to none---too bad they didnt tell you that. Sadly, some sales people will say anything to get the move.....

lakerjock

Re: Thats too bad because Rainbow is usually a good company

Postby lakerjock » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:50 pm

We're having similar problems (overpromising/underdelivering) currently with our move with Rainbow. I'll post an indepth review when our move is finally completed - but as of now, unless things change and communication with Rainbow improves (heck, Jim hasn't even returned my phone call) - it doesn't look too good.

Return to “Open Community”