Crystal Coast Moving & Storage

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Arthur

Crystal Coast Moving & Storage

Postby Arthur » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:25 pm

I used Crystal Coast Moving & Storage because someone here said they were a good moving company. Crystal Coast Moving & Storage is a dishonest company that hires bad moving people. The first sign there would be a problem is they arrived at 10:30 AM instead of 9:00 AM as they said they would. The Movers did not seem to know how to take my Wall Unit appart and put it back together properely. My 65" TV they could not figure how to get it to fit under the Wall unit when they got to my new house. They were telling me they were only paid for six hours and they were doing me a big favor continuing to work putting my furttinur together. I had a flat rate of $600.00 for the move. Then I had a mirror for my dresser that I was not using because the dreser was going into my Closed because of lack of room in my bedroom. The mover asked me where I wanted the Dresser mirror put. I said in the second bedroom. I had a lot of boxes already in that room and had on top of the bed in the second bedroom lots of stuff including two glass lamp shades. Instead of the mover putting the mirror down on the floor or in the closest he tossed the mirror on the bed like a sack of potatoes not even putting it down gentlly or taking even the slightest care. The force of throwing the heavy mirror onto my bed broke the glass lamp shade that the other movers could hear in the next room. Then on top of that the movers wanted to charge me packing material.eminded them I had a flat rate. Before my move I carried all the small breakables in myself so there was nothing they needed to even pack. They did not even bring me a Wardrob box! Fortuneltly I had one left over from my last move and used that but I did not have the metal rod that holds the clothes on it. I found a metal rod I had and had to use it. The movers told Dan the Owner that they used boxes and that was what they were trying to charge me for. But I had so many boxes left from my last move that I had to through some out at the curb before I left my old house to go to the new house. So they lied about that! I was going to pay them $30.00 for extra insurance but after I read the fine print it said you had to insure everything otherswise it would be pretty much like the 60 cents a pound they had. I could not afford to pay $250.00 extra for it so I let it go. Dan the owner said he would not get the Glass Lamp fixed or repaired. The lamp was part of a set that cost about $60.00 a piece. The company some how does not have anything negative with the BBB for the last four years or with the State of Florida. Something just does not sound right about this because these were bad movers. Stay from away from Crystal Coast Moving & Storage to avoid going through what I did. I even told Dan thw owner I would report him on movingscam.com but he did not care. Please take this company off any recommended list and put them on the Black List as soon as possible. :cry:

Michael

Re: Crystal Coast Moving & Storage BAD Moving Company!!!

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:47 pm

Sorry for you bad experience, but we dont put movers on the black list for a bad experience. Reporting them here is fine and perhaps you can contact your local BBB.

You dont say if you ended up paying more then the $600 quoted. And if you did how much more?

Did this company even come out to your house? And you said someone here recommended them? Our they on the superlist, cause I havent looked.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Arthur

Postby Arthur » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Michael wrote:Sorry for you bad experience, but we dont put movers on the black list for a bad experience. Reporting them here is fine and perhaps you can contact your local BBB.

You dont say if you ended up paying more then the $600 quoted. And if you did how much more?

Did this company even come out to your house? And you said someone here recommended them? Our they on the superlist, cause I havent looked.

I used them because what I read on this Forum and the below good reviews which I think were not for real. If they are not listed on the Blacklist others will become their victims. They are a dishonest company and should not be aloud to get away with it. They tried to get more money but I would not pay anymore and they broke my glass lamp shade! :shock:

Crystal Coast Moving & Storage (independent) in Riviera Beach.
The phone number for this company is 561-863-8343 and the owner is Dan Harvey.
We have a good report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6481 (several within-state moves)
"friedman29" posted an excellent review of a local move with Crystal Coast in 8/06, saying that the price was reasonable and the service was professional and friendly:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9908 (local)

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Well if they were scammers you would have a lot more broken if you refused to pay, they would have left with your HHG's in their truck and would have made your life a living hell. So for them to cave I feel they arent scammers. And I dont know them from Adam.

The point is you werent scammed. Thus they wont be going on the blacklist here. You review I am sure will be added to the superlist, if they are on it.

How do we know your not an upset competitor??

And I will repeat what I just said in an earlier post, even the best companies out there have moves go bad, poorly serviced. Doesnt mean they belong on a blacklist or they scammed you.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:25 pm

Arthur, I just discussed your move with the owner, Dan Harvey, and he told me that he gave you a flat rate of $600 for three guys for what was supposed to be a 6-hour move of furniture only. In the contract it said that he was allowed to charge you for any packing materials used. He said that when his workers arrived at your residence, you were far from completely packed and they had to spend 10 hours there packing items other than furniture as well as moving everything. He said he didn't charge you for the extra 4 hours or for the packing materials such as boxes that he provided. Regarding the lamp that you said the movers broke, he said that the foreman told him that what happened was that a worker laid the mirror on a bed and when he did, the glass lampshade rolled off the bed and fell on the floor and broke. You had declined extra insurance so Dan offered you $10 for the lamp, which is all that you were legally entitled to.

Dan told me that he has been in business for 25 years with no BBB complaints. He has a two-truck family-owned mom and pop business near West Palm Beach that is licensed for intrastate/local moves only. To me he sounded like a good guy and I told him that I would post this rebuttal since I like for movers to be able to present the other side of things when there are complaints by customers and he didn't know how to post on movingscam.com.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

Where did you move to/from and how much stuff did you have? Did they quote you a per man, hourly rate? Did they do an in home estimate?

They are only required to pay $.60/pound for anything damaged or missing since you didn't purchase the additional insurance/valuation.

Your "flat rate" usually doesn't include packing supplies, unless specifically stated on your service order.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:04 pm

Diane, I know you and I clash sometimes, ( mostly me) but I do respect you for standing up for a mover in circumstances such as these.....there's always 2 sides to every story, and sometimes its hard to put into play the slogan 'the customer is always right' when only one side is heard.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks - it does bother me when a guy who is simply trying to make a living, doing the best he can for his customers, gets slammed in such a big way and has no way to respond. As it is, I am afraid that he's going to get his first BBB complaint in 25 years about this incident. The poor guy had to pay for the packing materials and four hours of extra labor, so I'm sure he lost money on the job as well. My guess is that he didn't do an in-residence estimate, but even if he had done one, he still wouldn't have known that the guy wouldn't be completely packed. I'm sure this kind of situation is common in the industry.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:14 pm

true, and when an unhappy customer goes to the trouble to post the same complaint about 4 times in the same website, it sounds a little vindictive to me. Sometimes the dumb side of my brain wants to say, " Hey, you got moved pretty cheaply, whattaya want?"

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:17 pm

The hourly rate for three workers and a truck sounds cheap to me, too - I think $120 rather than $100 would be more normal in a large metropolitan area.

Arthur

Postby Arthur » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:00 pm

Diane wrote:Arthur, I just discussed your move with the owner, Dan Harvey, and he told me that he gave you a flat rate of $600 for three guys for what was supposed to be a 6-hour move of furniture only. In the contract it said that he was allowed to charge you for any packing materials used. He said that when his workers arrived at your residence, you were far from completely packed and they had to spend 10 hours there packing items other than furniture as well as moving everything. He said he didn't charge you for the extra 4 hours or for the packing materials such as boxes that he provided. Regarding the lamp that you said the movers broke, he said that the foreman told him that what happened was that a worker laid the mirror on a bed and when he did, the glass lampshade rolled off the bed and fell on the floor and broke. You had declined extra insurance so Dan offered you $10 for the lamp, which is all that you were legally entitled to.

Dan told me that he has been in business for 25 years with no BBB complaints. He has a two-truck family-owned mom and pop business near West Palm Beach that is licensed for intrastate/local moves only. To me he sounded like a good guy and I told him that I would post this rebuttal since I like for movers to be able to present the other side of things when there are complaints by customers and he didn't know how to post on movingscam.com.

The Movers were out of there by 5:30 PM and got there 1 1/2 late!. I even gave one of the Movers a Full size bed in good shape I did not need anymore and a Shop Vac. This was before they broke my Glass Lamp Shade. I still let them keep it anyway. Some Thanks I get! :o By the way the Glass Lamp Shade did not roll off the Bed because all the pieces were on the Bed and a box was still there at the end of the bed. Seems like I might have been Scamed by trusting this Forum beliving I could trust what I see here! :(

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:07 pm

Arthur wrote:The Movers were out of there by 5:30 PM and got there 1 1/2 late!. I even gave one of the Movers a Full size bed in good shape I did not need anymore and a Shop Vac. This was before they broke my Glass Lamp Shade. I still let them keep it anyway. Some Thanks I get! :o By the way the Glass Lamp Shade did not roll off the Bed because all the pieces were on the Bed and a box was still there at the end of the bed. Seems like I might have been Scamed by trusting this Forum beliving I could trust what I see here! :(

Arthur, the fact you gave them a full size bed and other items is irrelevant to the situation, except to note that you didn't need them and you would have had to pay $50-$100 to have them hauled away. That's another little inconvenience the movers had to absorb and another favor the movers did for you.

With all of the complaining and all of the additional work you made the movers perform that they didn't sign on for - they ended up doing the entire move in one day and for a bargain. They did everything you wanted them to do and in the process, lost money doing your move. In the end, despite their best efforts, they're going to get a complaint on a BBB report (not that anyone should trust the BBB these days anyway...). You didn't get scammed and you didn't get cheated and that's the bottom line here.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Yeah! Movers aren't the devil all the time! J/K
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm going to change the title of this thread to reflect the consensus here. Otherwise it could be picked up by Google and hurt Dan's company.

Arthur

Postby Arthur » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Jim wrote:
Arthur wrote:The Movers were out of there by 5:30 PM and got there 1 1/2 late!. I even gave one of the Movers a Full size bed in good shape I did not need anymore and a Shop Vac. This was before they broke my Glass Lamp Shade. I still let them keep it anyway. Some Thanks I get! :o By the way the Glass Lamp Shade did not roll off the Bed because all the pieces were on the Bed and a box was still there at the end of the bed. Seems like I might have been Scamed by trusting this Forum beliving I could trust what I see here! :(

Arthur, the fact you gave them a full size bed and other items is irrelevant to the situation, except to note that you didn't need them and you would have had to pay $50-$100 to have them hauled away. That's another little inconvenience the movers had to absorb and another favor the movers did for you.

With all of the complaining and all of the additional work you made the movers perform that they didn't sign on for - they ended up doing the entire move in one day and for a bargain. They did everything you wanted them to do and in the process, lost money doing your move. In the end, despite their best efforts, they're going to get a complaint on a BBB report (not that anyone should trust the BBB these days anyway...). You didn't get scammed and you didn't get cheated and that's the bottom line here.

I spent four days with two trips a day filling my car up completely taking everything that needed to be boxed in my car. Seems strange after I told my mover I was going to tell the truth about this horrible move here all these replies came in. I am sure now that lots of these replies are from the company or other movers. The moving companies did not need to take down this Site just become members here. Should be a rule that moving companies can't pretend to be customers and people who attack other customers need to be called on the phone to verfy they are not the moving company or other moving companies. Does anyone every check out who the real poster replies come from. Anyway? I will just file my complaint with the BBB and State so the truth about this Mover comes out. Next time I will take a Video of my Move so if I get another bad mover I will have all the proof on Video. Maybe everyone should start doing this and Post the Videos here. If everyone did this then these movers will not get away with this. They did not even wrap my nice leather Coach up and just through it on the truck on the floor and had to shoe horn my stuff in because they did not know how to properly pack the truck. Learned a valuable lesson not to always trust anything I read on the Internet. The recommend Movers more than likely were posted by the Moving companies themselves. When finally someone tells the truth about a bad Mover instead of getting support here I get attacked. While next time someone is brave enough to trust Crystal Coast Moving & Storage from here I have a feeling they will have the same results I had. Or maybe some more phony Moving company great experiences will be posted. What's next all the blacklisted moving companies will also pretend to be customers and start posting all the great moves they are now having.

Return to “Report A Scam”