Review of Mighty Men Moving, Local DC move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MyUserName

Review of Mighty Men Moving, Local DC move

Postby MyUserName » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:50 am

I recently got moved by Mighty Men, moving within the DC Metro area, about a 45 minute drive between places, a 1 large 1-bedroom with some expensive furniture. My last move was a nightmare (total cost > $2000 over estimate, movers held my stuff hostage, etc.), so I searched pretty extensively around here. I got a good "vibe" off Mighty Men, for four reasons: 1) There was a story in the Post about them, and how they were all athletes, which I thought was a good sign, 2) They were the only mover I had checked out that had zero bbb complaints in the last three years (I know this is partially a function of them being a small company, but still, it's a good sign), and 3) They didn't "hard-sell" me at all: In fact, when I inquired how I could know they were good movers, they said [paraphrase] "There's no way to know. We get almost all our business on personal recommendations, so if you don't know anyone who's used us, you have no real reason to use us", and 4) They charged by the hour with no hidden fees (no charges for packing materials, gas, etc.).

Anyway, I was pretty much blown away by these guys. They quoted me a price of $120/hour, and estimated 4 hours (including the 45 minute travel time), plus one hour travel to and from the job, a total of $600. They showed up about five minutes late, but called me right at the start time to inform me where they were, and when they would arrive. From the second they arrived to the second they left, they were hustling, wrapping everything carefully and well, and just getting the job done. One of the guys wouldn't even stop to take a drink, which I offered, and waited until the clock was stopped to take water. When they were done, there was one small scratch on the base of one dresser, barely noticeable, and everything else was as they found it. I have no idea what route they took to get to the new place, but when I left the old place, they had a bunch of furniture yet to put in the truck, and we arrived at the new place at the same time. They were courteous and kind, and in the end, it took exactly 4 hours, and they charged me exactly $600, to the penny what they quoted us. I will definitely use them again.

One caveat: This is a small company, so they're not the most "professional looking". Their truck was clearly bought used and whitewashed, and there is some graffiti on the side (if you're expecting a fancy truck painted "Mighty Men Moving", you'll be disappointed), and other reviews on this sight have questioned whether they've got all their papers in order. I get the feeling that they're just a small operation trying to get by, but the quality of the work was as good as it gets.

Diane

Re: **Review of Mighty Men Moving, Local DC move

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am

Thanks so much for this good review, which I'll add to the Superlist under Virginia, since that's where Mighty Men is located.

Two questions:
1. How many guys did the company send for the $120/hour?
2. Do you yourself work for [a well-known organization in D.C.]?

Thanks.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

MyUserName

Postby MyUserName » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:01 pm

They sent two guys for the $120. As for the second question, I am one of those people who like to maintain anonimity on the web. :-) Thanks for this great website!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:13 pm

You're welcome - I was asking how many guys because we had a recent report that a company in FL sent three guys for $100/hour and I posted that it seemed to be a very good rate for a metropolitan area. So I guess I was right.

Regarding where you work, it just adds credibility to you as a first-time poster if we know that you work for a well-known organization. (We can see where people are posting from.) I wanted to get that on the record in case somebody coming along later thought you worked for Mighty Men, because we sometimes do get bogus posts like that.

MyUserName

Postby MyUserName » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm

No worries. Like I said, I enjoy anonimity, so I'll take the assumption that I'm a Mighty Men employee over disclosing personal info (in fact, I'd appreciate it if you deleted the parts of this thread relevant to this). On the other hand, if I worked for Mighty Men, I probably wouldn't have pointed out their super-sketchy truck. :-)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Not necessarily - bogus posters sometimes add a minor complaint just to seem more credible. :lol: But I altered my post as you asked.

BTW shouldn't you be working? :lol:

MyUserName

Postby MyUserName » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:29 pm

No comment! Thanks! :-)

Return to “Open Community”