Renting a trailer for my Jeep Wrangler

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jeepnnj

Renting a trailer for my Jeep Wrangler

Postby Jeepnnj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 am

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone knows of a company that would rent a small trailer to hook up to my Jeep Wrangler and move from LA to NY. I made the opposite move a few months ago and now found a job back in NY. Originally I used an ABF relocube which was, by the way great (awesome service) but I only filled it partially and was a bit pricey (1700). U-Haul will not rent me one because my Jeep has a soft top. Any ideas on where to rent one to move about 10 heavy boxes with books and about 10 large paintings?
Thanks so much! :D

Michael

Re: Renting a trailer for my Jeep Wrangler

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 am

I was going to say Uhaul too, at least for a trailer, but what does a soft top have to do with it??? Interesting.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:51 am

Wow, if UHaul says you shouldn't do it, you probably shouldn't. They'll rent anything to anyone, even if it's not terribly safe.

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:55 am

I have seen people try to rent a trailer from U haul and pull it with a Penske or Ryder truck, and they wont let that happen either. So, there is a real simple solution to that and your problem as well, pick the trailer up with a different vehicle, maybe a friend has a pick up truck.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 am

I can see the logic - Customer piles the boxes higher than the walls of the trailer - stops short - boxes fly through the soft-top and into the drivers head.
However if it is a closed trailer that logic doesn't apply. Could be it's a rule not open to interpretation.

Jeepnnj

Postby Jeepnnj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:06 am

Thank you!
I don't know exactly why the rule with soft top SUV's (possible past lawsuit/insurance coverage or something?). I've seen Jeeps pulling trailers and boats on the road before. From what I've read online renting a trailer would cost around $400. An ABF pod/container is around $1700 and I still have to take/pick-up my stuff to their terminals. I think I may do the friend with a truck or car with a hitch and rent it. Thanks again!

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 am

been there with uhaul before and this is how we got around their politics

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am

Jeepnnj,

If it's OK with you, I'd like to add your good prior experience with the ABF ReloCube to our ABF review thread. If you want to provide additional details (such as the month you moved and where in NY you moved from), that would be great. I assume it was door to door. Did you get anyone to help you load and unload the cube, and if so, were they satisfactory?

Jeepnnj

Postby Jeepnnj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am

I used an ABF relocube back in April. Since I moved both from and to congested city areas I had to bring my stuff to their hub. I rented uhaul vans both times to bring my belongings from my apt to their location. In both Northern NJ and LA California they weren't too far from me (less than a 30 min drive). I loaded everything myself and the guys at ABF in both locations were super nice, friendly and helpful. I locked my relocube in Jersey (close to Giants stadium) and opened it again in California (SF valley by the 5 freeway) with everything exactly as I packed it, I secured all my boxes and paintings pretty well inside the cube and they were all in perfect shape same as when I loaded them. I am very happy with their service, but just looking for a cheaper option now.
Thanks!!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:52 am

I totally understand why you're looking for another option if you didn't fill the cube. I just wish I knew what to advise you about the paintings. It should be fairly cheap to send the boxes of books by USPS media mail, but the paintings might be expensive to ship, depending on the size.

How did you secure the boxes and paintings in the cube? Straps, ropes, or what? Did you use the e-track to secure them?

Jeepnnj

Postby Jeepnnj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey
I had about 10 heavy boxes that took basically the entire floor of the cube. My paintings were strapped to the side walls on top of the boxes. I used regular nylon rope that I bought at Home Depot. The inside of the cube has lots of vertical railings with narrow holes, which made it easy to thread rope that wasn't too thick. You could use e-track as well and use the holes for the e-track hooks, but rope may be cheaper and it worked for me. I guess the best bet if you are planning on using this method would be to stop by one of ABF's hubs and take a look at the relocube before buying ropes or strapping stuff.
Good luck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:34 pm

Oh, OK. The thing that you are calling "vertical railings with narrow holes" is actually known as e-track. (Why the "e" I don't know, but it looks like a track.) An ABF driver told me that customers could thread rope through the holes in the e-track, but no one has ever posted that before, so thanks for confirming that it can be done. Usually people recommend that paintings be shipped standing up vertically, but I guess you laid them down horizontally and it worked for you, so good.

Thanks so much for the additional details.

Jeepnnj

Postby Jeepnnj » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Latest Update on the move: I ended up renting a 16ft Penske truck and car trailer (the Jeep was up on the full size trailer - no wheels touched the pavement) all for about 1500 bucks. The move again was from LA to NY (made it in 5 days). The Penske people were awesome, the truck was great (only 36k miles on it) so it wasn't abused or anything. The trick was trying to maneuver that thing at fast food places or motels with small parking lots, but overall I had a great trip and move. Thanks again to all reviews and opinions of people on this forum. Cheers.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks - can you re-post this on the rental trucks sticky thread?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”