Follow-up for Long Island mover: Hall-Lane

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
YoseNut

Follow-up for Long Island mover: Hall-Lane

Postby YoseNut » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:49 pm

Hello all,

Got great advice here from Diane and Farrah about booking a mover from the east end of Long Island to Atlanta. I'm posting this review for my mom who participated in the experience from start to finish (I was only around for the end).

Originally, my mom went to one of those sites on the web where you put in your info to get quotes from several movers. The harassment, complete with taunting to match the lowball quotes, started immediately (several weeks ago) and has continued unabated. They call day and night to tell her things like "We can still make a deal," "You're getting ripped off" and "Whatever...dial tone" when she tells them that thank you, but she's booked someone else. These guys are still quoting cubic feet! Anyway, as soon as I got wind that she was going to ship furniture to me (what a wonderful mom I have!), I knew to check this fantastic board first.

After I posted to this board, my mom requested estimates for ~1500 lbs from Hall-Lane and Maher. Maher gave her a poundage estimate over the phone, declining to come all the way to Sag Harbor for an estimate (fair enough). Hall-Lane came out and spent time looking at the furniture. From what I remember, Maher's poundage estimate was the lesser of the two but the dollar estimates were not very different

On the day of the move, Michael and another fellow showed up and professionally wrapped all the goods. Among the goods were some older (fragile) pieces, solid furniture, and a mirror. Both Michael and the other guy were efficient but warm, personable, and even funny. My parents had JUST (11 months ago) had over 8000 lbs moved from their old home in Holbrook (also Long Island) to Sag Harbor, and throughout this current experience my mom could not stop talking about how wonderful Michael and Hall-Lane made this entire experience compared to their move last year. (My mom had not known about this board at the time and had received what many customers usually receive from un-endorsed movers- brusque, careless service with furniture broken and little attention to detail.)

Throughout transit, Michael kept in touch and let us know where he was and when we could anticipate arrival. When the big storm that knocked out power in Tulsa was projected to hit the Northeast, he phoned to say he was leaving one day earlier to beat it. Well.... he wound up driving carefully through dense fog in West Virginia to get the cargo safely here. Twenty minutes before arrival, he called to let us known he was nearly there.

Before entering the storage facility where the goods were to be placed in our storage space, he parked the United Van Lines-labeled tractor trailer and asked that I show him the access road to ensure he could maneuver the truck all the way through the U-shaped path. After Michael was convinced, he drove up to the space and unloaded. My mom and I helped fold the discarded blankets (each piece was wrapped) and my dad and husband helped sort the furniture. His cute dog Sinta walked around playing but didn't get underfoot. Every piece was completely intact and Michael's banter while he worked helped us stay warm and focused in the windy 35 degree weather (brrr).

My mom said she would definitely use Hall-Lane again and was very pleased with Michael for his skilled and friendly service. Thank you so much for saving us from the con people!

farrah7031

Re: **Follow-up for Long Island mover: Hall-Lane

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks for coming back to post this, Yosenut! I'm glad you're mom had such a wonderful experience and such a personable driver. I'll add your review to the Superlist.

This is the prior thread if you're interested:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15224

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:48 am

Glad that your mom had such a good experience! Do you know whether the driver (Michael) worked for Hall-Lane or for United Van Lines? That is a detail that I would like to add to the Superlist. This could be the fifth good review that Hall-Lane needs to get a :thumbsup: in front of its name there.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

YoseNut

Postby YoseNut » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks for your replies, Farrah and Diane! We are so grateful to you!

As for Michael's status, he told us that he was "an independent contractor." His cab had a Florida plate (his home) and the United trailer he rented had a Missouri plate. Does this help clear it up or is it neither here nor there?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:50 am

I would guess that Michael was an independent contractor leased to United Van Lines. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will come on to correct me. Do you know his last name? If not, we'll just give credit to Michael and his little dog, Sinta. :D

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:34 am

Iffn I had the shippers last name, I could find it in the computer and see who the driver was, who he drove for, etc......PM me that info, if you want me to follow it up.

YoseNut

Re: Follow-up for Long Island mover: Hall-Lane

Postby YoseNut » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:15 am

Okay, I appreciate the suggestion to PM. I keep getting an error, however, so am forced to list the name here. I hope that is not a terrible mistake.

I just heard back from my mom. Michael's last name is Kupkowski.

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks - I added it to the review. Archie meant to send YOUR last name in a PM so he could find the move. There's nothing wrong with mentioning the driver's last name publicly as long as you're praising him. :wink: In other cases we think it's best to use first names and maybe an initial.

YoseNut

Postby YoseNut » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:52 am

Oh, I see! Shipper = us. I forgot. My mom's last name is Selkirk.

Thanks for adding the info to the review and educating me about protocol.

Poor Archie- my PM attempts kept resulting in an error message, so I assumed it wasn't going through. The same thing happened when I posted my last message to the forum but I saw the message posted regardeles sso now he must have 3 identical PMs from me. Sorry, Archie!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 am

No problem, but I can't find it under that name either in the computer.....both United and Mayflower....perhaps they spelled it wrong on the paperwork, I just dont' know. That drivers name is familiar though, so I think he is a veteran, but I'll try to find out who he drives for.....( If you have a chance, PM me with the order number, it should be in the top right corner of your paperwork, that will do it)

YoseNut

Postby YoseNut » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 am

I don't have any of the paperwork and my mom's traveling again. Arrgh. I wish I could help better. I'll PM you my last name.

Return to “Open Community”