Golan's of Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kevin

Golan's of Chicago

Postby Kevin » Wed May 19, 2004 2:14 pm

Hi,
I need some advice on a company called "Golan's." There seem to be mixed thoughts on this web site about it. USDOT #258359MC and Illinois Center of Commerce # is 93712MC.

Thank you so much for your help,
Kevin

Re: Golan's of Chicago

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 2:38 pm

I am sorry I posted the wrong USDOT # for this company.

US DOT #: 504435 MC #: 258359

I believe they estimate by the cubic foot which I was concerned about.

-Kevin

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 19, 2004 5:21 pm

Have you actually gotten a quote from them, or were you thinking about it?

Their record is not completely clean, there was a license revocation in 1996, and they do have a long history of insurance cancellations. I think I'd like to see the quote to finally decide whether to rule them out or not. If the quote IS for cubic feet, then keep looking.

15-R

Postby 15-R » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:28 am

Hi,
i came across this forum by accident and i'm not sure if i can even say something here because i'm one of the long distance (cross-country)drivers-movers of this company (Golan's) and just for record i do work for them 5 years already.
But i just wanna say that no matter what the web site says, any customer can ask for estimate or moving charge based on pounds of shipment and not by CuFt, even if the usual charge is based on CuFt.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:33 am

People might want to look at this thread for previous discussion of Golan's - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1337

I would like to ask 15-R why Golan's chooses to advertise that it quotes by cubic feet.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:53 am

You should also be aware that Golan's has had 25 BBB complaints in the last 36 months, 12 of those in the last 12 months. And I would simply eliminate any company that even proposes to charge by the cubic foot, even if they say they're willing to charge by weight.

monica

Postby monica » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:46 am

I was surprised to find this post, since I am considering using Golan's and was going to ask about them here.

I got three estimates on Thursday for a move from Chicago to NY, from 3 local movers (as this site has recommended). In & Out Moving has a very low # of complaints (15), but one of their references said they didn't stick to the price given in the binding estimate (so much for the meaning of the binding estimate). Midway moving wouldn't give me any references to talk to! They insisted that it was an issue of privacy, and that I should consider the fact that they are the official movers of the Bulls, etc. I'm considering Golan because their references were good, and I haven't found anything terrible on them (I didn't find the insurance problem). I haven't called them yet, b/c I'm terrified of making this decision!

Some have said that Golan's has had a lot of complaints. I hesitate to say this but relatively speaking, 25 in 3 years (and all were resolved, I believe) was much lower than many other companies I found and eliminated. (One company had 700 complaints in the same amount of time!!!) More commonly I found numbers like 35, 62...

QUESTION: They gave me a quote in lbs, technically, but they said weight didn't matter b/c the quote is based on my inventory list. On top of this, every company I've spoken with insists that they work in cu. ft. anyway. When I want lbs., they just multiply by 7. I can't see a difference, if they're just multiplying. And I can't seem to find a compnay that does it anyway. Is this a reason to walk away completely? Should I be suspicious of the "price based on inventory list" thing? I'm so frustrated, stressed and tired of this, I jsut want to make the decision and be done, but it's scary to commit this kind of money. Oh yeah, they gave me a quote of about $1700-1800 for about 2900 lbs. o' stuff.

Let me also say that I was thrilled to find this site, and shocked at all i learned. I feel like you've saved me from a terrible experience. Of course, it's not over yet...

thanks for all your help,
monica
:?

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:24 am

Monica,

Your inventory is important because most movers will check it against what is there on move day. So if you have a list of articles marked as not going and on move day you decide to ship them, the driver can protest your move and have you signed an addendum agreeing to pay for the excess weight of your shipment once it is weighed, if you shipment does weigh more.

Second, who are these guys affiliated with, what majors?? If they are??

Every major basis its quotes on weight. Your weight is determined by the rep who walks through your home based on a cube sheet. He will check items going room by room, and estimate boxes to pack or be packed by you in each room. (well he or she should) Based on these items, a cube factor is in place. If you multiply this cube time 7 (standard weight factor in the industry) you will come out with an average weight of the article. For example, a sofa, 3 cushion is a 50 cube, thus 350 pounds on average. A good sales person, will minipulate the cube of the article if he/she thinks it weighs more or less then the cube x 7. Example, a typical coffee table is cubed out at 5, thus 35 pounds. But lets say its one of those with draweres and its big and such. A good sales person will change the cube from 5 to maybe 10-12, thus to 70-84 pounds on average. A bad or inexperienced sales person, will manipulate the weight factor and maybe knock it down to 6-6.5. Well thats going to manipulate the whole shipment, not just the one article he/she was reducing in weight.

Well in my opinion thats they way it should be done. But who am I, lol.

Did all these movers you mention come to your home, provide you with your inventory they did, and a quote on the spot?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:27 am

Price based on inventory list = RUN AWAY!

Price based on cubic feet = RUN AWAY!

Believe me, I understand that you WANT to believe that these are legitimate companies, because the alternatives seem so expensive. Unfortunately, companies engaging in these lowball tactics invariably turn out to be MUCH more expensive in the end.

I strongly recommend that you begin your search for a reputable mover by reading our article titled "How To Find A Reputable Mover"!

They do exist but you have started off on the wrong foot. It's time to take a step back because it appears you are starting to buy into the absolute load of bull crap that the movers are feeding you.

For example, when they talk about multiplying cubic feet x 7 so what's the difference, they are intentionally perverting the application of a valid estimating method, to make their bastardized pricing schemes appear normal. It's a classic example of a half truth being more damaging than a complete lie.

It should be taken as an ABSOLUTE that you should NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER hire a company that proposes to charge you based on cubic feet.

Same goes for the inventory list.

Both methods are horribly susceptible to falsely inflating the size of your shipment, and you have NO legal recourse to dispute any inflation the moving company does. The ONLY type of shipment where you can dispute charges is a shipment based on WEIGHT ONLY.

The ONLY reason for a mover to give a price based on cubic feet or on an inventory list is because they intend to scam you from the very beginning.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

monica

Postby monica » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:51 am

thank you for your reply, Tyrone.

I did, however, start with the 'how to find a reputable mover' article. That's how I moved away from internet estimates. That's why I went to the phone book and looked through all the local movers, checking thier records (first, rather than after an in-house estimate is done, as you recommended, as I wanted to weed out problems before bothering with having them come to my house). I got 3 in-house estimates. So far, EVERYONE I've encountered, good record or bad, wants to use cf. Golan is independent, not affiliated with anyone. I had gotten the impression that the larger 'agents' were bad, so i just wanted to avoid anyone who wasn't doing it themselves. I'm trying to do everything you recommend, and still end up with all possibilities striking out.

What can I do that I haven't done? Is there any way to use someone like Golan, who uses cf., but protect myself from being scammed?

stressed and frustrated,
monica
:cry: :x

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:57 am

Monica asked,

Is there any way to use someone like Golan, who uses cf., but protect myself from being scammed?

No.

At the risk of repeating myself, there is no available defense if your move is based on cubic feet, period. Hiring a cubic-foot mover is asking to be scammed. I don't know how much more clearly I can spell it out.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:00 pm

Where did you get "the impression that the larger agents were bad"? That is not necessarily the case at all. In your situation it may be your 3rd best bet.

1st best bet? Move it yourself with a truck rental such as Penske, Ryder, Budget, Uhaul, etc.

2nd best bet? Hire a you-pack, we-drive service such as Value Ship, Broadway Express, ABF, etc.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:16 pm

Monica,

I agree with Tyrone in the fact of quoting you based on cubic feet is just not the way to do it.

Your comment about majors being bad was way off base. The three options Tyrone suggest are lesser of three evils.

I would probably rate the three as:
1. You load they move service (there is no scam stories out there yet on these types of moves)
2. Do it yourself, Penske, Budget extc. (you still run the risk of getting a rental truck not properly maintained, and being available on the day you pick it up)
3. Utilize a major (and last, of course, even a major is susceptible to scamming you, just alot less likely then your internet scammers)

All three have there pros and cons, but the first two assure you of not being scammed in the true sense of the word scammed, held hostage for more money, and not ever seeinf your goods again.

The problem with the yellow pages, if you dont know what your looking for is alot of scam companies advertise there. I know here in NC there were over 167 companies not even licensed to move people in the state of NC or even in NC (its a regulated state) yet they advertised in the yellow pages.

So yes the yellow pages are useful, if you know who your looking for. The internet is useful if you know what or who your looking for.
Michael

monica

Postby monica » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:27 pm

perhaps you can help me figure this out then. I knew I wasn't exactly clear on this, but the site has been adamant about not using brokers who won't be moving your stuff themselves. I saw advertising in the phone books that said, for example, such and such was an agent for Allied, etc. Plus I found a lot of these well-known companies on your Black List. So, I kinda came to the conclusion that the big companies were trouble. Are there big companies that are somewhat trustworthy?
I also wasn't ever clear on if a company acts as an agent for a Black LIsted company, does that mean they're also crooked?

On the other hand, I had totally missed your info on BE and ABF, possibly because I didn't think I could do it myself. Now that I've read that you can also hire movers to help, it sounds possible, and i'm going to look into it.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Monica,

I dont think there is a major on the black list.

Majors are agents that represent their parent company, United, North American, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, Bekins, Graebel, Wheaton, Paul Arpin. What this gives you in most cases are companies that have companies all over the USA.

What your discussing are brokers. Brokers dont have anything to do with your move and in most cases will farm your actually move to a scammer. Once the scammer arrives they will say they dont care what the broker quoted you.

It truely is two different things, brokers vs majors.

Many majors have do it yourself programs too. So look at value move from United, and ABF, Braodway and I am sure other here can point you to other companies. But those seem to be the main three mentioned about.

Best of luck,
Michael

Return to “Open Community”