Local Move (LI, NY) Hall Lane

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
thul

Local Move (LI, NY) Hall Lane

Postby thul » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:29 pm

I found your website quite helpful when researching movers in my area. Now that our move is complete (and all claim forms processed) I thought I'd note my experience with Hall Lane for a local (LI, NY) move.

Estimate: We were assigned Alex. He was prompt, friendly, and informative. His estimate was very straight-forward, and turned out to be spot on.

The Move: We were assigned a 3-man team for our 2-bedroom move (we lived on the 2nd floor). While friendly, I found the handling of our items to be a little careless. Having undergone quite a few moves, I know there is no such thing as a "perfect" move, but there seemed to be an abnormally large number of items that were mishandled.

Crib and table pieces ended up scratched or chipped, despite being wrapped, and our souvenir drum was punched in and ruined. Thankfully, my wife and I packed most of the boxes ourselves, which probably prevented further damage. We've never had so many boxes mangled or torn during in a move before.

The move also took a surprisingly long time. Our new apartment is only 30 minutes away from the old and this ended up being an 8-hour move. We've moved from CT (2 hours away) in less time. I'm all for taking the time to load and handle items carefully, but that didn't seem to be the case here (see above).

Overall, they didn't go over the estimate, but they sure paced themselves to hit that estimate. Overall, I figure we spent around $200 for the movers to sit around on breaks or eating lunch.

The Claim: Although I probably could have/should have made a bigger stink about all the scratched furniture, I ended up only filing a claim for the drum, since it was the item that was outright broken beyond repair.

To Hall and Lane's credit they did process the claim promptly. Unfortunately for me, I chose the 30 cent/lb option so I only received a $6 settlement for a $200 drum. I knew this would probably be the case, but I filed for my $6 more on principle.

Overall: Despite our mixed experience, I think Hall Lane was a generally honest and professional moving company. So, for those looking for movers that aren't a "scam", Hall Lane is worthy of consideration. I'd like to think our movers were an anomaly, but based on our experience we personally will look at other options for our next move and can't outright recommend them.

ArchieWhite

Re: **Local Move (LI, NY) Hall Lane

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I don't think they would charge you for lunch intentionally, you might ask if that is proper, and at least get an explanation. They may refund 30 minutes or so, if you were charged incorrectly, I know I would.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:38 pm

thul,

It's really disheartening to read your report. I'm glad that Alex was good, at least - everyone seems to have liked him. What kind of drum was it? It just seems so basic not to punch in a DRUM, for heaven's sake. :(

If you had come here before choosing a mover, I would have advised you to use a small independent company for your short-distance move. Here's a good one on Long Island, for example (from the Superlist):
--Maher Van Lines (independent) in Islip.
This company has the website www.mahervanlines.com and the phone 631-277-5100 (Suffolk County) or 516-799-1400 (Nassau County). As of 1/08 it had no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. It was recommended by "Glad to Help" (industry person) for shipments from NY to FL because it runs straight trucks, as well as tractor-trailers, to FL, so that you avoid a shuttle in NYC. He added that it has very high quality drivers - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9521#69521
I have spoken with Tommy Maher, the owner, and was very favorably impressed. His brother Sean Maher is also involved with the company, his cousin Pat answers the phones, his wife Andrea does the billing, and Tommy himself drives for the company at times. Of the employees pictured on the "photo gallery" page on the Maher website, all but Rich and Jimmy are still with the company. Maher currently has 3 tractors, 5 trailers, and 1 straight truck as well as a 5000-square-foot warehouse. Although it initially specialized in shipments between LI and Florida, it now does a lot of business moving shipments to points in between, such as the Carolinas. Tommy said that he typically gives customers a price per pound for interstate moves, such as 55 cents per pound, and then the customer pays according to the weight. He invites customers to witness the truck being weighed. Maher has a 2000-pound minimum for such interstate moves. It also does local moves.
"movingmymom" posted a rave review of Maher for moving her mother's things to Georgia, praising especially the phone-answerer Pat and the driver Danny - delivery was in three days:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10386 (interstate)
"ballfam" posted an excellent review of Maher for a 3500-pound move to North Carolina in 3/07 at a cost of about $2000--Maher's weight estimate was more accurate than the estimates from some other companies:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13342 (interstate)
"GIJOE" posted in 5/07 that he was very impressed by the phone-answerer Pat, who quoted him $3250 for 6500 pounds to be delivered in North Carolina in 3-5 days:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8413#88413

Again, I'm so sorry. Not everyone would have been as reasonable as you about the various scratches and dings, let alone the apparent "slo-mo" crew. I'll add your rueful comments to the Superlist. As you said, at least they didn't scam you.

I'm wondering whether it's advisable for people to pay extra for FVP coverage in a situation like this. Maybe the crew would be more careful if they knew that they or the company were going to have to pay out something more than a pittance on claims.

thul

Postby thul » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:59 am

Unfortunately it was a real Djembe drum from an old school trip to Africa. I suspect they piled boxes on top of it and the leather drum tore. I agree though, I thought common sense would have dictated not to pile heavy boxes on top of a drum :?

After dealing with several moving companies, my wife and I had been going the Uhaul route for our last couple moves, but with an infant we were forced to look at movers again this time around. Something about not being able to carry the baby and a dresser at the same time. :) I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind for the next move, thanks.

Diane wrote:thul,

It's really disheartening to read your report. I'm glad that Alex was good, at least - everyone seems to have liked him. What kind of drum was it? It just seems so basic not to punch in a DRUM, for heaven's sake. :(

If you had come here before choosing a mover, I would have advised you to use a small independent company for your short-distance move. Here's a good one on Long Island, for example (from the Superlist):

Again, I'm so sorry. Not everyone would have been as reasonable as you about the various scratches and dings, let alone the apparent "slo-mo" crew. I'll add your rueful comments to the Superlist. As you said, at least they didn't scam you.

I'm wondering whether it's advisable for people to pay extra for FVP coverage in a situation like this. Maybe the crew would be more careful if they knew that they or the company were going to have to pay out something more than a pittance on claims.

Return to “Open Community”