ALERT - avoid Top Notch Van Lines (Jersey City, NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jess

ALERT - avoid Top Notch Van Lines (Jersey City, NJ)

Postby jess » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Hey everyone, I will be moving from AZ to NJ soon and have begun researching moving companies. I am very happy to have found this site, as it contains a plethora of helpful information. Well I started by getting several quotes via different websites, ranging from $1200 to $4000 to move 2,000 lbs here to NJ. The cheapest quote comes from Top Notch Van Lines (http://www.topnotchvanlines.com ). I have not been able to find any info on this company here at movingscams, so I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

farrah7031

Re: Top Notch Van Lines?

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Throw out all quotes for places you find on a find-a-mover website. Find 3 local companies to give you an in home estimate. See our mover reviews here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7562#57562

Read this article first:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Top Notch Van Lines is a brand-spanking-new (licensed since October) company run out of a rental mailbox in New Jersey. But actually, they're not located in NJ, they're in CA. The website is registered to:
Administrative Contact:
Bishara, Richie pablo@dugart.com
Top Notch Van Lines
6500 Woodley Ave
Van Nuys, California 91406
United States

Nomatter where they are, though, you shouldn't use a mover who can't come to your house to do an inventory by a trained professional.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Hmm, strike that. That address appears to be for Dugart.com, which is probably the company that created that website. The phone number, however, is for a small business loan company. What gives?

jess

Postby jess » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 am

yeah that is very shady. I will not be using them. I'm looking at Allied Van Lines right now, and reading up on a few local ones I found that have positive reviews. Thanks for all the help so far. !

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:54 am

Don't forget to interview and consider the following movers that are well known and respected......Arpin Van Lines, Mayflower, Atlas, United, North American, Bekins and Wheaton....(you are already working with Allied) these are all professionals who will give you a professional move at a reasonable price and will NOT scam you.

sngrl56

Postby sngrl56 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 pm

Absolutely DO NOT use Top Notch Van Lines. On December 27, 2007 we were at our condo in New Jersey when Top Notch Van Lines came to pick up our stuff. Today is the 18th of January and our stuff is still not here. We moved to Washington state and were told originally (before we agreed to have them move our stuff) that it would be one week until our things arrived in Washington. However, when the moving people came and our stuff was in their van they said our stuff was going to go sit in a warehouse for one week and then it would ship, which would take a week. We thought we didn't have much choice at that point, we would just have to wait an extra week, but at this point we are getting a little upset because the total fee is over twice what the estimate was when we went over what we would be packing and taking with us. The price went from $1800 to $4100. BIG difference.

Now it is January 18th and our stuff has still not arrived. We have been lied to for two weeks. This is what we were told on seperate occassions for why our stuff had not arrived, in chronological order:
-Our stuff was in Texas where it was dropping stuff off and the people were not ready to get it yet so the truck driver is there waiting (this can take a couple days they told us)
-Next (a couple days later) we are told the truck is broken and still in Texas
-The truck driver is on his way to California to drop off a load then will be at our place
-The truck driver is in California it will only be one or two more days
*This is where it gets ridiculous
-We call and ask where is our stuff, it's still not here and we are given the number for the driver. We call the driver, he is in the state of VIRGINIA then he is going to Indiana and Illinois and just picked up our stuff three days ago! (These conversations started a little before our stuff should have been there, Jan 9) It should have been picked up January 2nd according to what they told us! It was never in Texas it was never in California, the truck never broke down, we had been blatantly lied to allll along. The driver told us this company is really shady and he's always getting calls from the customers who are under the completely wrong impression from the company. Today we call and ask where our stuff is (the driver told us it would come today, Friday, or Saturday/Sunday) and it is not the same person at all, and he says that he won't be here until Monday or Tuesday because of weather issues.

That is my story up to date. Please do not use this company. We have been lied to so many times, everyday they tell us our stuff will come tomorrow, only for tomorrow to come and them to tell us our stuff will come in a couple days. It has been a nightmare I wouldn't wish upon anybody.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:14 pm

sngrl, it's likely your things are still in storage somewhere. On Monday (well, maybe Tuesday since it's a holiday), contact Move Rescue at www.moverescue.com and see if they can help you. Also, see my post as Where To Complain With a Move Gone Bad. It's a Sticky in the Report A Scam forum. Let us know if we can be of help.

sngrl56

Postby sngrl56 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Thank you so much Farrah. I wish we had known about this website before we moved, we probably wouldn't be in this situation! I just want to get the word out that this company is shady and not to be used.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Be sure to contact an agent from National Van Lines as well. For some reason Archie doesn't ever include them in his list of Van Lines to get quotes from. Not sure why since he mentions Arpin, Wheaton, and Bekins. Bekins is the one that amazes me since they are allowing All my Sons to represent them. :(

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:08 pm

J, I'm going to send you a PM with a very good reason why; I don't want to send this off on a tangent (gee, that never happens here... :lol: ).
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Don’t be too hard on Archie, JM. You know how it is with those southern savants. :wink:

The fact that many of the smaller van lines aren’t mentioned much may be due to the fact that most are family owned and can’t afford or don’t invest in a lot of commercial advertising exposure. Nationwide independents like Andrews, Budd, Carlyle, Covan, Interstate, National, New World, Stevens etc stay financially healthy by concentrating their core competencies on their DOD and GSA business or smaller niche domestic and international national account or affinity markets.

Fact is many of the small and mid-sized van lines are just as (and sometimes more) quality focused as their larger counterparts. What they lack is significant over-the-road capacity. Some of the lack of exposure is probably because they recognize their limitations and don’t overextend their commitments. That's not always a bad thing.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Jim wrote:J, I'm going to send you a PM with a very good reason why; I don't want to send this off on a tangent (gee, that never happens here... :lol: ).

Jim, I would also like to get your PM with the info about why Archie excludes National Van Lines from his list.

I'm changing the topic title to an ALERT - avoid.

ArchieWhite

Re: ALERT - avoid Top Notch Van Lines (Jersey City, NJ)

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Yeah, I'd like to get that PM about why I leave National off my list too. And Red Ball, and Global, and Carlyle, and Stevens, and Neptune, and Fernstrom, and Delcher, and Von Der Ahe, and Santini, and Republic, and Greyhound, and Lyon, and Four Winds, and Pacific and Weathers Brothers, and Trading Post and Coleman and Andrews, and My three sons, and any other company that has at least 1 truck and moves people. Or used to, but no longer does. What I should do, is just name my 2 favorites, and leave everybody else out.....but i might feel guilty about that...... :oops:

Return to “Open Community”