getting burned by SMART MOVING INC.

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
robert buto

getting burned by SMART MOVING INC.

Postby robert buto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Even movers get burned!!!!!!
Smart Moving Inc. brokered a job from another mover, and not only stole about ten boxes with valuables, also stole a new dryer from the shipper. also collected $4,000.00 c.o.d., which only $1,600.00 was theirs,and kept the other $2,400.00 which belonged to the original mover who packed, loaded and picked up the shipment. They contracted thru Straight Delivery , a mutual site used between movers. Smart Moving dosen't answer any phone calls or emails. BEWARE , DO NOT USE SMART MOVING FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert

Diane

Re: getting burned by SMART MOVING INC.

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Well, but did you broker out this job?

According to www.safersys.org, your company doesn't have a broker's license -
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:09 pm

hello diane,
yes, unfortuneatly. we were asked by thye shipper to find someone to get it there sooner then expected. She was supposed to come into Sureways storage for a while till she found a place. She decided to move in with her mom instead. we didn't have enough to send our own truck, so she asked if we could find someone who was heading out there, and we did. we put it on a website designed for this type of situation, movers working with other movers. the industry is in such bad shape, it's the only way to survive. Also I will look into it, all these years i have been working with other movers like this, I never knew I needed a seperate license for it, thank you.
robert

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Is there no honor among thieves?

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:15 pm

not sure what you mean there Archie

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I see the loadboard site - it is www.straightdelivery.com - I think Archie is saying that while you are complaining about another company you are violating the regulations yourself, Mr. Buto.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:45 am

Thieves stealing from other thieves? Too funny

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:31 pm

violating a regulation may be so, not realizing or knowing you did so is another situation all together. we did what our client asked of us, nothing more. By the way archie, are you suggesting that Sureway is also a theif?

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Smaller, independant companies are frequently lured into a feeling of security by promises such as StraightDelivery's statement that "All our members are licensed and insured movers and carriers, approved by us for providing on-going quality services."

Do you see any thing in their website that suggests that they have brokerage authority, or legal interline transportation agreements with or between each pf their "member" companies?

If a customer contacts company "A" to arrange transportation of their goods and the mover then tenders the shipment to an unlicensed, unauthorized intermediary who illegally brokers the order to an unknown company "B", several courts have found company "A" responsible in the event the customer suffers any type of loss.

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Rick, thanks for the insight. I have been in the industry for about 30 years. we have moved employees of the d.o.t., local police dept's. and Fla. consumer affairs. We are a proud family ran company, who happen to make a mistake, and paid for it. when you get a guy who incinuates your a theif, can be misunderstood by others. But I guess this guy archie must be an authority in the industry, or he would never open his mouth. By the way, is he employed by moving scam.com, it's sounds like he is.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Nope, Archie runs a family operated company several hundred miles to the north. He's a good ol' southern gent like you who's as honest as the day is long. In fact, his motto is "Honesty is the best policy...as long as you don't over do it". I think me might have been movin' folks longer than you, though. Several times he's mentioned how grateful he is that he doesn't have to feed and water his horses anymore.

Incidentally, movingscam doesn't have any employees. The site is maintained by several loyal moderators and volunteers who all desperately need a life.

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:50 pm

I guess he is from the old school. I am actualy from up north, the bronx,N.Y., moved to Fl. about 22 years ago. I live by what goes around comes around. when asked what i do for a living i say trucking industry. I am embarassed to say a mover, because of all the garbage men , that are now in this industry. 20 years ago, this was a good honest industry, an honest days work, for an honest days pay. Boy how times have changed.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 pm

OK if you say you are not a crook, then I retract that wisecrack, but if you are hanging around with them, sharing load boards, sending them shipments, taking their shipments, dealing with brokers, etc, you are real close to at least being a fringe player. Stop dealing with crooks, hook up with a real van line and be a legitimate mover.

robert buto

Re:

Postby robert buto » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:39 am

none
Last edited by robert buto on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Note that a sobering comment about Sureway's owner has just been posted on another thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 781#103781

Return to “Report A Scam”