*Moving from Chicago west suburbs to Clearwater, FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Chisme

*Moving from Chicago west suburbs to Clearwater, FL

Postby Chisme » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:01 pm

We are deciding whether go with Federal Whalen out of Waukegan or Fort Dearborn out of Batavia. I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with either of them.

We got 4 estimates:

Graebel: 8000 lbs for $4723.54 (includes $413 insurance)
This was much higher than the other bids, and we weren't impressed with the sales person. She first offered us a nonbinding estimate, and then when questioned, she said it could be binding if we wanted. She didn't seem like she had too much experience at the job.

Berger: Allied agent out of Addison
6580 lbs for $4040.47 (includes $379)
insurance
The agent was very thorough and professional. He was our first estimate, and I could have stopped there.

Ft. Dearborn Relocation Mayflower agent
5000 lbs for $3012.09 (includes $328 insurance)

Federal Whalen
: Allied agent
6097 lbs for $3801.62 ($365 insurance)
The agent was very thorough and professional. We liked him a lot.

Our dilemma is choosing between Fr. Dearborn and Federal Whalen
We moved two years ago with Atlas, and our weight came in at 5006 lbs. We haven't really bought that much more at least not significant enough to weigh us in 1000lbs more.

However, Mayflower was the only company that didn't leave us an inventory list, and the Federal Whalen man said that we could potentially be forced to pay more if the driver refuses to take the load because it was underestimated.

If we do weigh in with Federal Whalen at $5000 it will still cost $400 more than Mayflower. My concern is whether or not Mayflower is low-balling us and we'll get poor service.

Any advice?

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Chicago west suburbs to Clearwater, FL

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Did the Mayflower agent give you a Binding Not to Exceed (Option C) quote? You need to be able to compare apples to apples. Make sure all quotes are Guaranteed Not To Exceed quotes.

Chisme

Re: *Moving from Chicago west suburbs to Clearwater, FL

Postby Chisme » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Yes, all but the Graebel were binding not to exceed estimates.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Your last three estimates are actually all very similar if you look at the "per pound" price. I think any one of them would be OK.

However, looking at the Superlist I see that Berger Allied Chicago supposedly self-hauls 99% of its shipments using its own trucks and drivers. That is a big plus in my mind because there is less potential for damage and delay. And its quality rating from the van line is in the "excellent" range. So I guess if it were my move I would go with Berger.

Don't worry about the Mayflower driver protesting the weight. Your weights from the last three estimates are quite similar and drivers will not usually protest the weight unless they think the actual weight is at least 10% over the estimate, and usually not even then. (They can be penalized if they protest and the weight is not in fact at least 10% over the estimate.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:28 pm

You mentioned that both the Berger and Federal Whalen representatives inpressed you. What about the rep from Mayflower? Both Berger and Federal are larger Allied agents with quite a few trucks and drivers in the Allied fleet. I think you'll be OK working with either company. I'm not familiar with the particular Mayflower agent you contacted for the estimate; however, Mayflower itself is an excellent van line. Are you sure you've not added much since your last move? If you asked my opinion, I'd go with Federal Whalen. You liked their representative. Their price is competitive and their estimated weight is in the middle. I feel you are less likely to have a driver challenge their weight than Mayflower. Eventhough the challenge, if it happens, will probably not change your price, it will cause you some extra stress on what will probably already be a stressful day for you and possiblty change the driver's attitude. Either will make your moving experience less enjoyable.

Chisme

Postby Chisme » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Thank you both for your help. I will post when we decide whom to go with and give a rundown of our moving experience.

vsb1

Postby vsb1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Did you decide on a mover? When is your move? If it happened already, let us know how it went!

We are in a similar position, although not moving quite as far, so we're keenly interested in your experience.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 pm

I as a driver and an ops manager have had personal experience with both Federal and Berger as well as Graebel. If I were to pick out of the lot I have always had geat experiences with the Federal Companies. They too self haul most of their tonnage and they have always been looked upon as one of the better agents in the AVL system. I have been associated with the people of FEderal for over 25 years. They still have the same management people in the top today and all are committed to the service they sell.

Return to “Open Community”