Problems with damages by Golan's Moving (Skokie, IL)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Windy1

Problems with damages by Golan's Moving (Skokie, IL)

Postby Windy1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 pm

I used Golan's Moving and Storage in Skokie, Il several times for local (Chicago-area) moves over the years and they were very good. I was happy to use them again. But I recently used them for a cross-country (interstate) move and it has been a nightmare. They damaged and/or lost a *significant* number of my boxes and pieces of furniture, about 10% of everything on the truck. They did things like put glass on the truck without wrapping it in anything, despite my telling them to.
Despite the fact that I paid for their breakage insurance covering all my belongings (up to $60,000), they are refusing to pay more than $500 for the claim. The movers admitted the damages, too.
I wouldn't use them again and urge others not to as well.
Last edited by Windy1 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Re: Move Gone Bad? This is where to complain!

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:15 am

Cross-state, meaning still within Illinois?

Do you have confirmation of the insurance payment? Something on your bill showing that payment was part of your total bill?

Send your complaint to the Illinois Movers & Warehouseman's Association, and see if they can refer you to another place to complain.

IMP

Re: Golan's Moving (Skokie, IL)

Postby IMP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm

You may be eligible to file an arbitration claim as well if you purchased valuation protection through the mover.
There are still good people who move good people.

Windy1

Re: Golan's Moving (Skokie, IL)

Postby Windy1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Sorry, I meant cross-country (interstate) move.

Thanks for your tips. I am in the process of looking into arbitration and legal options, as well as dispute resolution with my credit card company.

I do have documentation of the insurance purchase and amount and Golan's has acknowledged it in writing to me several times.

But I also want to make sure no one else gets into the situation I am in, so I am posting on these kinds of boards and filing complaints with consumer advocacy organizations. (Department of Transportation Office of the Inspector General, Illinois Movers’ and Warehousemen’s Association, Illinois Commerce Commission (does not deal with interstate moves), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Illinois Attorney General
American Moving and Storage Association, Attorney General in the state to which I moved) and the Illinois Department of Insurance.

I want to be fair and not vindictive, but I also want to make sure Golan's doesn't harm others. Mistakes happen. Perhaps it was just an inexperienced team who moved my things rather than a scam. But, then they should pay the claim, learn from the mistake and move on. But not taking responsibility for your employees and level of service is not acceptable.

Return to “Open Community”