My move with AC White from GA to NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jah2

My move with AC White from GA to NC

Postby jah2 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:34 am

My move with AC White was completed on Dec 5 but it’s only now that I’m finding the time to post a review. I’m so satisfied with the move that I think it deserves a fairly detailed accounting. My moving experience with AC White lasted for a year and seven months. I wanted to move back to my home town and build a custom house on some property I owned there so I found a job, put my house in Atlanta up for sale and contracted with AC White to pack me, store my belongings until my new house was ready and then move me. The housing market problems started around the time I left Atlanta so it took me nine months to sell my old house, then seven months to build the new one plus another couple months in between getting everything together with the builder and the bank. I wound up with AC White by chance, I had contacted Mayflower (or it might have been United) and they selected AC White as my local agent.

My new employer wasn’t paying for the move so it all came out of my pocket and it cost me a small fortune. I didn’t have time, or the desire, to pack myself so I had AC White do that too. I knew it would be a while (although I didn’t expect it to take nine months to sell my house) before I would be in my new house and I didn’t feel comfortable storing my belongings in a storage warehouse so I paid for SIT. A hefty amount of money but I wanted the security and piece of mind knowing that my belongings were safely crated in a climate controlled, security monitored warehouse.

My salesman was Terry Cason and he was very helpful and accommodating. He gave me his cell phone number and I used it quite a few times to ask this or that about the move and quote. I remember at some point Terry asked if I’d rather leave my belongings in SIT here in Atlanta or go ahead and move them to Charlotte. I said probably move them to Charlotte so they would be close to their ultimate destination but he suggested leaving them in Atlanta so AC White would have continuous custody and responsibility for them. It seemed like a good idea so I agreed and I think it was a good decision. The packers came on Saturday June 10, 2006 and did an excellent job. It was five or six ladies, can’t remember exactly, and everything they packed made it undamaged to my new house. In fact, I don’t think anything was damaged, packed or not. I was taking three weeks off for vacation in July and couldn’t squeeze any additional time out of my new employer so I had to report to work on the 13th but had my parents come down to meet the moving truck on either the 14th or 15th, can’t remember which. Since I wasn’t there I can’t say much about that crew but apparently things went well. My total weight was 14,840. Didn’t have too much contact with AC White after that but as my house was nearing completion at the end of 2007 I started talking to Archie White on this forum via private messages and he was very helpful. I worked with Terri Reynolds from his office on the arrangements for delivery and again, she was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. My driver was Eric Lee and he brought two others with him, one was his brother and the third guy they picked up at the local Mayflower affiliate here in Charlotte on delivery day. I was here for the delivery so I can comment on this crew and I have to say they were fantastic. They were on time and they did a great job. In fact, since I had to be home that day anyway, I scheduled two or three other deliveries. One was some large furniture, delivered by truck, a full sized tractor trailer. It had to park at the street, which is a good distance from the house, as it couldn’t get down the drive and I hadn’t paid for inside delivery anyway. As my dad and I struggled with getting it out of the truck I looked up and saw Eric heading toward us with his hand truck. Without ever being asked, he helped (or really did most of it) get the furniture back to the house and brought it inside. Several pieces had to be taken apart and a door taken off the hinges to get it inside. And this was all furniture I had purchased and had delivered that day, not part of the AC White delivery. They also moved two pinball machines and a jukebox up a stair case to a bonus room over the garage. I don’t know how they did it, I was afraid to watch, but when they finished there wasn’t a single mark on the wall in the stairway. I was so happy with the movers that I gave them each $20. Probably should have given them more but I’m too poor after paying for the move (and the new house) lol…

Overall a very successful and problem free, although expensive lol, move. The personal attention from Archie was unexpected but very welcome and appreciated. It definitely contributed to the success of the move. I would recommend AC White very highly to anyone moving from Atlanta.
Last edited by jah2 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Re: **My move with AC White from GA to NC

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:19 am

Wonderful review! I'll add this to our Superlist.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 am

Mr. Haney was a pleasure to work with, and if we had more customers like him, we would be very happy. His move was not perfect, but lots of people behind the scenes did their best to help him, and I've printed his review to pass around to those involved, so they know their efforts have been recognized.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:27 pm

jah,

Thanks so much for this great review . . . since you refer to the cost several times, I would be interested in how much you paid for the move, if you don't mind posting it. If Terry Cason would like his cell phone number added to the Superlist, I will add it too.

jah2

Postby jah2 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks so much for this great review . . . since you refer to the cost several times, I would be interested in how much you paid for the move, if you don't mind posting it. If Terry Cason would like his cell phone number added to the Superlist, I will add it too.

I'll pull the costs and post them sometime in the next few days; I didn't pay all at once so I can't recall what the final total was. When my SIT converted to permanent storage six months after the move I paid for the packing and true SIT up to that point, then I paid monthly for the permanent storage, then for the actual transportation at the end.

Just to reiterate, all the people I dealt with at AC White were polite and really personable; very pleasant to work with. But the three guys who delivered my things really deserve special mention. They really went out of their way, helping with things that weren't their responsibility, and did an excellent job of everything. All three of them were pretty small, I bet they were all under 180 pounds but damn, they were strong! lol... Believe me, they had no problems with any of the items they had to lift.

jah2

Postby jah2 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks so much for this great review . . . since you refer to the cost several times, I would be interested in how much you paid for the move, if you don't mind posting it. If Terry Cason would like his cell phone number added to the Superlist, I will add it too.

I did my tax returns today so I have all these charges handy and they are:

Packing: $2913.48 (they charged me overtime for packing on a Sat)
Transportation: $5523.40
And a whopping $11,339.32 for storage!
Total: $19,776.20

I could have done some things to mitigate the storage charges but choose to spend the extra to have everything stored with AC White. I commandeered a bedroom at my parent's house for a year and a half so I had no living expenses. I could have rented a house and had all my belongings brought there but then I would have had to move twice and I was concerned about the security of a rental house. It probably would also have cost more. I could have stored everything in a storage warehouse but again, I was concerned about the security and I would have also had to move twice. Since I did have a temporary place to stay I decided to store everything with AC White and I think it was a good decision.

Diane

Re: My move with AC White from GA to NC

Postby Diane » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks - every person's situation is different, and I think in your situation you made the right decision. It's not always possible to have a shipment stored for 19 months and then have it delivered by nice people, undamaged and with nothing missing. I just wanted to document the cost of warehouse storage with a van line agent.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:05 pm

I just wanted to document the cost of warehouse storage with a van line agent.

The "storage" cost and I know Archie will correct me if I am in error, includes.
1) a local move (res to whse. load and unload)
2) whse handling (prep of storage vaults/pallets, recording or same into whatever system AC White uses.
3) Stge for 14,000 + lbs for 17 months
4) Possible insurance while the goods are in the whse.

The average cost per month about $ 667

It would be interesting to compare with other forms (public storage) for this shipment of about 2,000 cu ft.

jah2

Postby jah2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Fred0844 wrote:The "storage" cost and I know Archie will correct me if I am in error, includes.
1) a local move (res to whse. load and unload)
2) whse handling (prep of storage vaults/pallets, recording or same into whatever system AC White uses.
3) Stge for 14,000 + lbs for 17 months
4) Possible insurance while the goods are in the whse.

The average cost per month about $ 667

It would be interesting to compare with other forms (public storage) for this shipment of about 2,000 cu ft.

That's correct. I didn't break all that down because I guess I was too lazy to but if you are familiar with moving rates and charges you know those costs are included in that total. No insurance though. I don't have the paperwork in front of me but I think, after the initial charges, it was in the $700s per month for the first six months then it dropped to the $400s after conversion to permanent storage.

I would also be interested in knowing how much public storage would have been for a fairly secure, climate controlled facility.
Last edited by jah2 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 pm

$274/month for a 10x35 unit in North Atlanta from Public Storage with climate control.

Mark Johnson

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Public storage may be cheaper however is a disaster for your type of move.

First of all since AC White did the pick up they are responsible for everything and can keep a close eye on it at their facility, thus securing everything.
When you have a moving company bring your belongings to a public facility,from that point on you are responsible.
Then you have the company who will be picking up and doing the delivery. if their are any problems they will say it was in public storage for 17 months etc etc.,

For the size of your move the rate was extremely good and from what i can see you had an outstanding move ALL the way around.

You did it the exact correct way.

Best regards,
Mark Johnson

jah2

Postby jah2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Mark Johnson wrote:Public storage may be cheaper however is a disaster for your type of move.

First of all since AC White did the pick up they are responsible for everything and can keep a close eye on it at their facility, thus securing everything.
When you have a moving company bring your belongings to a public facility,from that point on you are responsible.
Then you have the company who will be picking up and doing the delivery. if their are any problems they will say it was in public storage for 17 months etc etc.,

For the size of your move the rate was extremely good and from what i can see you had an outstanding move ALL the way around.

You did it the exact correct way.

Thanks, yeah I agree. In my situation I think I did the right thing and everything turned out fine which is why I decided to do it that way in the first place.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:26 pm

No wonder Archie's company was voted one of the top 15 places to work in Georgia...

People that take pride in their job and are happy where they are let that joy show in their work.

Keep it up Archie.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:52 am

public storage would have been for a fairly secure, climate controlled facility.

Public storage is never "fairly" secure, too many people have access to the facility and they are not monitored.

Your goods would be safer in a friend's garage.

Return to “Open Community”