Laser International - Chicago based company

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
petit_requin

Laser International - Chicago based company

Postby petit_requin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:33 am

I wanted to share our pleasant moving experience with Laser International (they are an agent of Rainier, which was the forwarder). Our move was 320 c.f., from Chicago to Paris. Dec 10 was when our things were packed and loaded, we received them in Paris on Feb 7. Fast and efficient.

The LI representative came to do a in-home survey and gave us an estimate. He explained the whole shipping process and the steps involved, and the quote we got from LI was the best of the several companies we looked into. Communication with LI was easy, they were available, responsive and flexible regarding the type of contract we wanted. We scheduled the move day for Dec 10, the movers came on time and were great (ask from Vincent). They packed everything thoroughly, were very efficient and professional. The weight of our load ended up being a bit under what was estimated (we paid for what the real weight was).

Our things arrived in the UK end of January, and the company who took over the transportation from UK to Paris was Euro USA. There were a couple of issues we had with them (inspection fee for which we didn't get a proof of charges and delivery above 2nd floor fee, which we weren't aware of when we signed with LI - there are 2 posts on the board regarding these issues). In any case we didn't pay for any of the fees, and I guess that this is the good deed of LI who was involved in communication and figured things our with Euro USA. Scheduling delivery with Euro USA was easy, they were flexible and accommodating to our schedule regarding the delivery date. Their movers came on time and were very nice and fast. We got all the boxes, nothing was missing, and only one glass broke. So, I would recommend LI for anyone moving overseas, and don't hesitate to complain if things don't seem right. LI was very helpful in the terms of keeping the costumer happy.

Noone

Re: Laser International - Chicago based company

Postby Noone » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:12 am

I'm glad to hear that LI stepped up and straightened out the two questionable/unexpected fees that arose at destination.
Thanks for coming back and reporting.

aragao.silva

Re: **Laser International - Chicago based company

Postby aragao.silva » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:16 am

hi, I'd like to agree and share my good experience with Laser International... I moved from Chicago (Hoffman Estates) to Sao Paulo (Brazil) and after a lot of research I choose Laser which was by far the most expensive but at the same time the only one I felt confortable with. I made the right choice. My move left on November 6th, 2007 and arrived in Brazil in the first week of January. Laser used Rainier as their forwarder (Rainier is an excelent company, I talked to a brazilian guy that works for Rainier and he helped me a lot understanding the brazilian clearance process). Laser also used Lusitana as their brazilian peer and Lusitana proved to be an incredible company, extremely professional and careful, they provided me a lot of support and made everything super-smooth in the brazilian side. It was expensive, total cost was about 6.500 (almost 2.000 dollars to pay for the brazilian terminal handling and other taxes), but the good thing is that Laser made me aware of these taxes from the beggining, the whole process was very transparent and I felt both Laser, Rainier and Lusitana were honesty and careful with my belongings.

my advices: plan your move carefully, don't choose based solely on price (the cheap can be expensive in the end), don't let the moving company do all of the stuff for you, do whatever you can yourself and get involved with all the moving details, make as many questions as you need to feel confortable - they don't like too many questions but you are paying, so if they don't feel like answering make sure they understand you won't feel like paying them as well... also, pay a lot of attention to the insurance (I insured absolutely everything with replacement cost - this will make sure the moving company and forwarder will pay extra attention to your belongings) and make sure you are prepared for the taxes to be paid in the destination.

final note: I strongly recommend Laser, Rainier and Lusitana.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for your review, which I added to the Rainier review thread.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Bodes

Postby Bodes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Laser was indeed the most expensive of the companies we reviewed. While they did a good job packing in the US, we also had Euro USA in Germany, and their planning abilities are terrible.

I thought it was just Euro USA, but when we brought our issues up with Laser, they were rude and unsupportive of the customer. I would not recomment LI to anyone doing an international move. EuroUSA did not unpack and were in such a rush and they half-assed the job and left after 2 hours. Poor poor service and it is a reflection of Laser.

Again, customer service with LI is horrible and I would not recommend them to anyone.

chrisatlas

Postby chrisatlas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 am

Is Laser a forwarder or local agent? If they are a local agent then we are regulated by the ICC here in Illinois and need to be licensed to handle any local work. The forwarding business is non regulated and all you need is an FMC or NVOCC license to ship personal belongings overseas. If they use a forwarder then they are only a local agent. Just curious which it is...
EuroUSA albeit are a good quality company they typically move everything into the UK as a consolidation point then load up trucks to the final destination- I think they might have recently opened in France now as well.

Bodes wrote:Laser was indeed the most expensive of the companies we reviewed. While they did a good job packing in the US, we also had Euro USA in Germany, and their planning abilities are terrible.

I thought it was just Euro USA, but when we brought our issues up with Laser, they were rude and unsupportive of the customer. I would not recomment LI to anyone doing an international move. EuroUSA did not unpack and were in such a rush and they half-assed the job and left after 2 hours. Poor poor service and it is a reflection of Laser.

Again, customer service with LI is horrible and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:25 am

Laser International is the Origin Agent, and Rainier is the Freight Forwarder.

In any international shipment from the USA, the customer can always contact the FMC with any problems.

I will say that Bodes' dealings are uncharacteristic of what we usually hear about Laser.

Bodes', can you elaborate on what went wrong and why you are unpleased? This will help other people to see the problems you had, and maybe we can point out a way to avoid them.

LASER

Postby LASER » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I am the owner of Laser International mover. We take great pride in providing quality moving services to our customers. We move hundreds every year from Chicago to Europe. We also agree, in our written quotes, to match any competitive quote.

BODES situation is quite simple. This is a smaller shipment delivering to Germany by EuroUSA. This customer was to delivery in Germany on Dec. 16th in the afternoon. EuroUSA fell behind schedule as a result of an unplanned customer created situation on a delivery earlier in the day. EuroUSA driver contacted BODES and requested delivery Dec. 17 a.m. with full delivery service. BODES was unable to adjust their schedule and demanded delivery Dec. 16 as planned. Driver indicated that this would involve a "reduced service" delivery, meaning no assembly (five items), no unpacking of boxes and no debris removal. The crew had run out of "legal time" for work (Europe has digitial logs) and could not stay on the job legally. BODES still wanted delivery the evening of Dec. 16th with full understanding that certain delivery services could not be performed.

Crew arrived at 7:00 PM and delivered the goods. Mr. BODES assisted in delivery but was not requested to do so. Delivery was completed at 9:00 PM. Unpacking, unwrapping and debris removal were not completed as previously indicated by the driver to BODES.

Laser International Moving became aware of the situation on Dec. 18th. We offered to refund the cost for the services that were not provided at delivery but paid for by the customer. This amounted to $73.20 refund. As anyone in the business knows, this is not a big ticket item. BODES responded that this did not take into account the labor provided by Mr. BODES. BODES requested $250.00. Laser International rejected this saying the value of MR BODES labor was not worth $176.80 for two hours. Additionally, the crew never asked for his help. Laser International offered $50.00 for labor + $73.20 for the reduced services = $123.20 refund. BODES agrees to this and requests a refund be sent. Laser International sends out check. Then BODES sends the attached review of Laser International's "poor" customer service. BODES insists that the deliver was misplanned by EuroUSA which is 100% incorrect. Another customer caused the dely. Further, it seems to me that Laser International tried to make the situation right after the problem occured, offering and completing the refund process in a timely and fair manner.

If anyone (future customers, moving professionals, past customers, etc) has any ideas how Laser International could have handled this situation better, I would like to hear from you. As I previously mentioned, we move hundreds every year from Chicago to Europe without any issues.

chrisatlas

Postby chrisatlas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Curiuos to find out...

Is Laser a forwarder or local agent? If they are a local agent packing and loading then they need to have a license from the ICC. If you store items then you also need a license from the Commerce Commission for a warehouse license.- Illinois is regulated by the ICC.

chrisatlas wrote:Is Laser a forwarder or local agent? If they are a local agent then we are regulated by the ICC here in Illinois and need to be licensed to handle any local work. The forwarding business is non regulated and all you need is an FMC or NVOCC license to ship personal belongings overseas. If they use a forwarder then they are only a local agent. Just curious which it is...
EuroUSA albeit are a good quality company they typically move everything into the UK as a consolidation point then load up trucks to the final destination- I think they might have recently opened in France now as well.

Bodes wrote:Laser was indeed the most expensive of the companies we reviewed. While they did a good job packing in the US, we also had Euro USA in Germany, and their planning abilities are terrible.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:51 am

Removed at request of Moderator, although I disagree with request.
Last edited by JAHaddow on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

tieum

Postby tieum » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 am

Let me share my unpleasant experience with Laser.

Don't get me wrong I got my container with all its content but this is the bare minimum I would expect from any moving company.

On the departure site the movers where very late the first day and did not even bother to call me. I had to call them to find out where they were. Then after they left I discovered they had remove one of the doors of the house without putting it back in place. They also smoked in my yard on left their cigarette butts there for me to clean up. Finally when the truck came to pick up the container we found an half empty pop bottle inside the container by the door. Laser did not even give excuses for this.

After I paid I tried to get some information about additional costs for abnormal delivery at destination but they never got back to me with the prices.It looked like now that they had got my money they did not really care.

The worst of all is that when my container was about to arrive the delivery company told me I had to pay 75 euros of fees to get my container delivered although M. Bassin had told me a thousand times how everything was included in his quote. When I inquired about the fees they said that the forwarder had chosen to have customs inspections handled by a third party and those fees were because of that. I asked Laser why I had to pay for some fees that were because of a business decision of his forwarder but the only answer I ever got was that I had to pay to get my container. He would not discuss the matter nor waive the fees in compensation for the inconveniences on the departure site.

LASER

Postby LASER » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Tieum (Matthieu),

I am the owner of Laser International. I can be reached at jp@lasermoving.com

1) I apologize for your having to pick up cigarette butts left by our crew on your lawn. If I had to pick up cigarette butts, I would also be upset. I am happy to hear that Mr. Bassin did not "defend" these actions. Smoking on a customers premises is against company policy and the offending movers have been reprimanded. I recognize this is a poor reflection of our company. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

2) I also apologize that the crew forgot to re-attach the door inside your home. They simply forgot and I am sure this was an inconvenience for you.

3) I am aware the container showed up late, but I am happy to hear that your move was completed on the day we agreed.

4) The EURO 75.00 fee was for a paperwork customs inspection which is a government action that is specifically excluded in bold letters in your moving quote. Customs clearance is of course included.

Given the cigarette butts on the lawn and the door that was not re-attached I would like to reimburse you for the EURO 75.00 customs paperwork inspection fee that would other wise be at your expense.

Please forward your bank information to me (via email for privacy) so that I can transfer the funds immediately. Best wishes to you and Sylvie back home in France!

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Removed by me at request of moderator. Again, I disagree with request as I feel that what I have said is correct.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Return to “International Moves”