Safeway Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
TGaston

Safeway Mayflower

Postby TGaston » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Anyone have experience with this group out of Lexington, Ky.?

I'm moving from Ky to Tuscaloosa, Al. It's about 600 miles and should be a one day trip. I was impressed with the agent, and the information shared during the walkthrough. The quote (on Mayflower Transit, LLC Letterhead) is listed as binding and the bottom line number looks good. There is a seperate charge for insurance that I don't recall paying in the past, but, it has been ten years since our last move. Reading thru the quote confirms what the agent told me during the walkthrough. Without the (additional cost) insurance it appears Safeway Mayflower will only cover $0.60 per lb should anything happen. The cost for $100,000.00 coverage ranges from $521.00 to $798.00 depending on the deductable. The estimate for weight is 13,000 lbs. Seems a bit high, but I don't have a clue.

I did a search on these questions and received hundreds of hits!

Thanks

joesgarage39

Re: Safeway Mayflower

Postby joesgarage39 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:24 pm

Keep in mind one thing...that is not insurance that you are purchasing. It is called valuation, the amount of liability the van lines is will to accpet while your shipment is in transit. Yes the figure they quoted is in the ballpark depending on your deductable. Think of it as a 100K umbrella that covers your goods. It is called replacement value protection because there is enough valuation there to replace something at its current value, not a depreciated value. As for the agent, I am not aware of them personally. I hope this helps.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Safeway's been a Lexington mover for over ten years but the current management has several decades of experience in the industry. They had a slight problem with claims several years ago but they seem to have it under control now.

Here's an overview for Understanding Valuation and Insurance Options that was prepared by the FMCSA. While you're there, take time to review Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move information. http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... urance.htm

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 pm

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7604#57604

--Safeway Moving & Storage (Mayflower) in Lexington.
This company’s website is www.safemoving.com and their phone number is 859-253-0891. As of 2/08 this company had 2 complaints at the BBB in the past 36 months. Very good comments by industry people but no reviews.

TGaston

Postby TGaston » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks to everyone. Very helpful.

At first blush, looks like the full replacement valuation is worth getting. My insurance agent just told me that my homeowners policy would cover only 10% if something did happen during the move. We've a lifetime of collecting furnishing, and some of the items have been in our families for over 100 years. Maybe the additional coverage will add a higher level of care.

This site has been a wealth of information, and a real eye-opener.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Maybe the additional coverage will add a higher level of care.

Not necessarily. You'll get more attention if you ask the driver to explain the inventory process to you before starting and request that they bring any exceptions to your attention that don't appear to be normal wear before the item is removed to the truck. It serves as a subtle reminder that your very interested in the care being taken with your things.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:56 pm

We always advise people to purchase the zero dollar deductible valuation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 pm

More people have been asking for higher deductible amounts, and as a result, we have been informed that Mayflower will now offer $750 and $1000 deductibles.

If I were moving myself, I would take the additional hit and go with zero deductible.

If you select a good company, take the time to check them out. If their trucks are clean, warehouse is clean, office and personnel look professional, chances are you'll get that attitude carrying over to your move.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

TGaston

Postby TGaston » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Just a quick followup.

The move from Ashland, Ky to Tuscaloosa, Al went off without a hitch. Safeway Mayflower used way more boxes than the estimate, but held true to the binding estimate and there was no additional charges. Delivery was on time, almost to the minute! No bad for a bid thousands under the next lowest bid.

Now if we could get all these boxes unpacked. :roll:

Thanks again for a great site and to the knowledgeable folks who responded to my thread.

BigLeeCalif

Re: **Safeway Mayflower

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I have one question. You mentioned 13,000 on a 600 mile trip.

I am pretty positive that they didn't pack and load 13,000 lbs and accomplish the delivery in one day.

Help me out guys... 600 miles should be between an 8 - 10 hr drive, allowing for breaks, etc. The best case scenario would be pack and load day one. Assuming your shipment is the only one aboard, possibly deliver pm of day 2.

Please tell us what kind of delivery spread you agreed upon.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MGaston

Re: **Safeway Mayflower

Postby MGaston » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 am

It's tgaston, after changing my e-mail to the new address I somehow lost my user name or password and had to re-register.

BigLeeCalif; after reading my initial post I can see where folks would get the inpression that the pack, load, and move was performed in one day. I was told by the Mayflower rep during the walkthough and quote that the drive to Tuscaloosa, which is actually 560 miles, not 600, would be considered a one day drive, and when he was a driver, the truck stop @ mile marker 76 on interstate 59 just outside of Tuscaloosa was where he would rest when driving south from the Ashland, Ky area. I mentioned this in my post thinking it might be relevent, but was probably neither here nor there.

The packing took one and one half days due to the packers not bring enough boxes on the first trip, and the loading was done in the afternoon of the second day, as scheduled. The scheduled delivery was three days later which gave us time to attend two closings 565 miles apart.

As far as the timing and cost of the move, Safeway Mayflower held up to their end of the agreement.

Thanks to the advice of you, Farrah7031, Rick, Joesgarage39, and this website, I was well prepared.

Return to “Open Community”