Move from NJ to NC - used Sinclair Moving and Central Moving Systems

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rpereira

Move from NJ to NC - used Sinclair Moving and Central Moving Systems

Postby rpereira » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 pm

I've benefited a lot from this forum that I am compelled to provide my experience for those looking for good movers in NJ.

We moved in October 2007 from East Brunswick, NJ to Raleigh, NC.

Using the knowledge I gathered from this website, I called various movers to get quotes and their weight estimates.
Since its been a while, I'll try to jog my memory to provide relevant details.

1. Shannon Transportation (Atlas Moving)
Estimate Weight - 3900 + lbs
Nonbinding estimate - app $1900
Agent - Brian Bernard

2. University Van Lines (Atlas Moving)
Estimate Weight - 4500 lbs
Binding not to exceed estimate - app $2300 (+ extra for weekend move)

3. Molloy Bros (Mayflower)
Estimate Weight - 4200 lbs
Nonbinding estimate - $2000

4.Sinclair Moving (Mayflower)
Agent - Doug Papp
Estimate Weight = 4000+lbs
Binding not to exceed estimate - $2200

5. Allied Moving - in the same ballpark. but they had concerns that our weight may not be in the 4000 lb range which is the min for a free pickup and delivery.

I didn't get a good vibe with the Molloy Bros rep, plus his estimate was not binding at all and there was a lot of ambiguity on what could appear on the final invoice.

University Van lines sent in a good agent. can't recall his name. But his estimate came up higher and he wanted to charge me $150 extra for moving on the weekend. He agreed to come halfway, but I still thought that was too much.

Doug Papp from Sinclair gave a professional estimate, was patient and followed up with all my voice mails. Joanne from the office was efficient with the paperwork(although we had a mail issue where the MO i'd sent earlier didn't reach them and was held up in the PO).

The surprise came a couple of days before the move( Oct 20th). We were told that Sinclair doesn't have any free vehicles heading down to NC, so we'll be moving with CEntral Moving. Now, that got me upset since I'd done so much of research and finally chose Sinclair, and they transfer me to another company who I knew nothing about. Since it was too late to do anything about it, I kept my fingers crossed and hoped for the best.

We were very pleasantly surprised.
Spike (needs a special mention), our driver was very detailed about the inventory, and loading the truck etc. He took good care of our goods until it reached the destination, which was a storage location in Raleigh, NC.
There too, he carefully unloaded the goods into the storage, properly stacking them.
We moved into our home only in Jan, and we didn't find anything broken at all.

Plus, our weight turned out to be $400 below estimate so it worked out pretty good.

I would highly recommend Central Moving Systems and Sinclair Moving for Central NJ moves.

joesgarage39

Re: Move from NJ to NC - used Sinclair Moving Systems and Central Moving

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:46 pm

You jumped to a conclusion and all turned out well. The first thing that you should understand is that this is something that happens quite often. Think of it this way, if an agent for a van lines has 50 trucks and 150 customers going in several differnt directions as they normally do then assistance is needed in servicing the customer. It doesn't pay for driver or an agent to take a van that is 3/4's empty to service just one small shipment. When they cannot make a complete trip out of your shipment they will often release the self-haul to allow another to haul in a profitable manner. This isn't an arbitrary decision that is made and as you found the service can and most times is of a high standard. That is why agents are affiliated with a van line so that the service relationship can maintain the standards established.

Diane

Re: **Move from NJ to NC - used Sinclair Moving Systems and Central Moving

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:48 pm

rpereira,

Thanks for this review - really a group of reviews of various companies - which I've added to the Superlist linked to below my name. This is the fifth good review of Sinclair Mayflower in West Berlin, NJ that I needed to give it a :thumbsup: on the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”