Seattle to New Jersey - the finalists

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jersey_grrl

Seattle to New Jersey - the finalists

Postby jersey_grrl » Tue May 25, 2004 6:45 pm

So here is the research I have done, and I would like input.

OPTION #1: Uhaul plus car trailer - $2900 without gas

Yes, I would be in control of my belongings the whole way, but I have to pack and move (I would have help), it would be an uncomfortable situation for my cat in the truck cab, and it's not financially attractive.

OPTION #2: You pack - We drive - $2100 plus $400 for local labor = $2500

movex quoted me $2100, and McCloud would send out three guys with a three hour minimum for $400 ($115/hr, plus 1/2 hr travel time). I appreciate the suggestions for students or what have you but I don't trust them - sorry. It's a point of failure that I don't want to have.

OPTION #3: Sell everything and UPS or USPS the rest - $1100 plus cost of replacing core furniture at destination = $2500

That doesn't take into account the incredible time and hassle of getting my stuff to the post office or UPS and the time and hassle of having to buy new furniture in manhattan (not to mention the delivery ripoffs). Financially it's not a huge savings and the chances of random boxes getting lost, damaged or misrouted are very high.

If any of these options came in at half of the prices quoted, I would seriously consider them. But the differential is not enough to make me go through the extra hassle.

OPTION #4, Professional movers. I got four quotes. One I disregarded out of hand since I felt the estimator was either unprofessional, or didn't really want my business. They were Ace Relocation, Inc., an Atlas agent, with an office here in Seattle (Kent actually) if anyone cares.

Estimate #1: Crown Moving Systems (Mayflower) - Seattle
U.S. Dot #125563 I.C.C. No. - MC 2934

they estimated 3000# which I feel is slightly over the top, but does include my couch & ottoman (which i am trying to sell and hope to sell).

63% discount if I go before the 27th. Valuation for $20,000 with a $250 deductible, $151. Shuttle is $296. Total cost: $2971.97

I liked these guys the best from a professionalism standpoint and also from a "do i trust you with my stuff" standpoint. Also, I know most of you think the fact that they move for Microsoft and other large corporations in the area is irrelevant - but as a MSFT employee (soon to be former employee), I know what companies have to do to get on that list, and it makes me trust them. I know I won't have the same recourse as a private individual, but MSFT is not in the habit of giving business to a company with ANY shadiness whatsoever.

Estimate #2: Spaeth Transfer, Inc. (Allied) - Bremerton, WA
DOT #864601
MC 15735

2700# including the couch.
$31 to box up my mattress and boxspring (mandatory, they will not bag)
Valuation - minimum $15,00, $250 deductible, $115
Shuttle - $367.15

Total - $3240

They seemed pleasant but this price seems high. I can't see what the discount is, if any, and when I asked about peak vs. non-peak they were vague.

Estimate #3: United Moving & storage (United) - Bremerton and California
MC 67234
US DOT - 077949

2500# including the couch.
Shuttle is $716 before discount
Valuation is $145 - the actually have the wrong deductible, I just noticed
60% discount it comes to $3997.23

I was holding off making any decision until I talked to these guys as they seemed the most professional over the phone, and while the estimator knew what he was doing, he could not find his way around downtown seattle, arrived at 2pm for a 3pm appointment (i wasn't home), just really unprofessional and unorganized. didn't give me a good sense of "i can trust these guys with my stuff". If I go before the 27th the discount is supposed to be larger (and that is what this quote is). Also, I will note that this is the only instance where I felt any hard sell (like he'd have a chance) - tried to get me to sign the paperwork then, tried to get information from me about other estimates (I wouldn't budge), I really disliked that. If your company is so good then you shouldn't need to trash others in order to get business.

My instinct has been that Crown are the right guys just from an intuition sense - also from a professionalism sense. He caught things that no one else did when doing the inventory (like the folding chairs in the laundry room - i'm not taking them, there would be no point, but he saw and asked and no one else did). I do feel that his estimate of boxes is a little over but I also feel like everyone else's is under - I have A LOT of books and records and cd's (I was in the music business for 10 years, so it is more than the average amount).

My deadline to make a decision was tomorrow, so I am going to sleep on it and then make a call tomorrow afternoon. Unless someone can find a reason not to use Crown, I will be going with them.

Thank you ALL for your help and counsel and advice and information. I have spent hours reading this forum and the articles on the web site, and look forward to making a donation on Friday when I get paid :)
Last edited by jersey_grrl on Tue May 25, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Re: Seattle to New Jersey - the finalists

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2004 6:49 pm

jersey girl,

One of the more educated and well rounded decisions I have seen someone make on this board in a long time.

WELL DONE!! :lol:
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Looks good, jerseygirl . . . I assume these were all Binding Not To Exceed or Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimates, right? I couldn't find it stated anywhere so just wanted to make sure.

jersey_grrl

Postby jersey_grrl » Tue May 25, 2004 8:31 pm

Diane wrote:Looks good, jerseygirl . . . I assume these were all Binding Not To Exceed or Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimates, right? I couldn't find it stated anywhere so just wanted to make sure.

Binding NTE, thanks for checking :)

jersey_grrl

UPDATE

Postby jersey_grrl » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:26 pm

This is not a happy update, but it is also not a horrible one. But it is an important one to make, I felt, since there are so many people fleeing Seattle these days. :)

I called Crown Moving Systems on Wednesday, May 26th in the afternoon. I left a message that I wanted to move forward having them handle my move.

By late Thursday I had not heard anything so I called again. Nothing. I called the main number, explained my situation, and said that I'd be going with another mover if I didn't get a confirmation and get a signed contract. She paged the estimator who was on vacation, he called me, assured me they could handle the move, and that he would contact me when he returned to the office, which wouldn't be until June 2. I explained that it was getting close to the move time and I was worried about locking this down due to the high season.

No call yesterday. I left a message late in the day.
No call today. I left another message around 11am.

Right now I am not feeling very good about this company. Either they are too busy with too many other moves and have taken on too much work, or they don't want my business. In either event I feel that it is unconscionable that no one from the company can get in touch with me.

Out of the other three estimates I got, I only found one of them to be trustworthy enough to consider, and even then I wasn't that impressed. But now we were talking estimates of over $3,200 for my move.

On the weekend, I went to a Shurgard Storage facility to purchase some boxes. I did this because a friend told me that Shurgard will buy back ANY unused boxes you buy from them. In line ahead of me were a father and daughter who had just moved her back from college, one-way from Michigan, using a truck they rented through Shurgard (it's Budget truck rental). While I was waiting for the manager to cash them out, I went outside and looked at the trucks in the facility. My primary concern in renting a truck was 1) cost not competitive and 2) lack of comfort for my cat. But these trucks were VERY roomy - two bucket seats and plenty of room between them for my cat - and very nice. I filed the information away.

With the stress today over not having a confirmation from my chosen movers, I decided to call Shurgard and get an estimate. With a car trailer they came in at less than UHaul (and this was with the full trailer for all four wheels), and the operator mentioned that there is a discount coupon in the Post Office's change of address/moving pamphlet that would give me a 10-15% discount, bringing the total to around $2300.

This made the entire landscape of my decision much different.

After a long deliberation, weighing pros and cons, I am going to move myself in the end, renting the truck via Shurgard. The whole reason I wanted movers was to eliminate stress and hassle, and right now, all I am getting is stress and hassle. I have to still ship boxes of books etc media mail in advance. I have to worry about whether I can sell my furniture or not. And right now I am just not happy with a company who either will not have the courtesy to return calls or doesn't want my business. I understand that maybe my 3000 lb move is not a priority to them in this busy season, but then don't come out and do estimates for small moves, and at least tell me you don't want my business.

For the other Seattle people, there is a Shurgard on 15th ave and one on Capitol Hill, the numbers are on their web site. For "Boston" who was agonizing over his move and the cost, I would suggest that you give them a call and look at the numbers, you might find them similarly attractive.

The only other thing I will note is, if you are going to tow a vehicle on a car trailer, you have to rent the 15 foot truck and not the 10 foot truck. But I ran the numbers on renting the smaller truck and having the car shipped vs renting the larger truck and a trailer and it's still cheaper, not to mention the peace of mind.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:11 pm

I wasn't aware that Shurgard rented trucks. WIll you come back at the end and tell us how it held up? Thanks for the info!

jersey_grrl

Postby jersey_grrl » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:50 am

MusicMom wrote:I wasn't aware that Shurgard rented trucks. WIll you come back at the end and tell us how it held up? Thanks for the info!

It's actually Budget through the Shurgard front end. Interesting point: if you rent this way, you can get 50% off storage at destination. It doesn't work for me because there is no Shurgard nearby, but it could be a *very* good deal for someone.

I am going up to the location again this weekend to talk to the local office and see if I can increase my chances of getting a good truck. But yes, I will come back and let you know.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:06 am

It was also nice to catch that someone other then Uhaul rents car trailers. Another customer complained that he bought a new Ford Explorer for the expressed purpose of towing another car, and found out UHaul has a policy of "no trailers to Explorers". I remember someone else saying they couldn't find a local Uhaul outfit that had one left to rent.

Return to “Open Community”