ATL-WI: first-time post/move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wryepicures

ATL-WI: first-time post/move

Postby wryepicures » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi all! I've used this website and board for research so I figured I would give a little back and narrate my first interstate move. I am moving my 2 bedroom condo, cat, and husband to Madison WI at the end of the month. Money is of course, is tight, but we do have some antiques so no to self-move and a no to some fly by night web presence.

Choosing a mover: In the Atlanta area I used the GA BBB, Kudzu, and this website/BB to get estimates from A.C. White, Atlanta Peach Movers, and Mark the Mover.

Mark the Mover actually never called back to schedule an in-house estimate, so thats the end of that.

Both AP, and AC White came on-site to do a walk-through. Both sales reps were very professional and able to give an estimate right away. We have a fairly small amount of stuff so the quotes were under 4K, each estimated 1000lbs difference in weight- hence the difference in price. Once we had an address in Madison to work with, they both came out a second time.

We actually have not totally decided on whom to go with. They both have pluses. AC White uses United for this one, so our stuff would be handled by people not involved with whom we negotiated with, and possibly not unloaded by the same people who loaded. Add a possible shuttle into that, and a bunch of different people could be handling our junk. Atl Peach cannot promise no shuttles ever, so it could be a similar issue. Plus I honestly don't think with all the research I've done on these firms that either AC White or Atlanta Peach will dump our stuff off the interstate. There seemed to be more transparency with the process from Atlanta Peach initially, but we got the same questions answered by emailing our AC White rep Gail (2 different people for Atlanta Peach).

Overall, I'm just pretty nervous about the whole thing (first move with movers). Maybe some vets can tell me: Is a shuttle all that bad for the actual stuff? Is 3-9 days between loading and unloading normal? Can United just hire non-pro movers off the street for $10/whatever? Will the drivers actually warn us when they are arriving in a reasonable time?

I'll post next when we pick someone and with our reasons.

Thanks!

farrah7031

Re: ATL-WI: first-time post/move

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:11 pm

I'd definitely go with AC White.

Shuttles aren't bad - it all depends on if there's room on your street for a super large semi truck to park and manuever around with no problems.

3-9 days is a normal delivery spread. United can not hire people off the street - all employees have to have a background check. The drivers will be more than happy to give you a 24 hour notice prior to delivery.

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

wryepicures wrote:
Overall, I'm just pretty nervous about the whole thing (first move with movers). Maybe some vets can tell me: Is a shuttle all that bad for the actual stuff? Is 3-9 days between loading and unloading normal? Can United just hire non-pro movers off the street for $10/whatever? Will the drivers actually warn us when they are arriving in a reasonable time?

I'll post next when we pick someone and with our reasons.

Thanks!

1)A shuttle sometimes cannot be avoided and a professional mover should be able to handle without concern.
2)3-9 days between loading and unloading is very normal. You have to keep in mind that the driver will not just be picking up your shipment and heading to your new address. He will be picking up and/or delivering other shipments along the way. Its a big truck and he has to fill it as much as possible in order to profit.
3)Professional / Legitimate movers will not hire someone off the street to assist. They have to be background checked before entering your home.
4) A professional / legitimate mover will have a move coordinator to keep you updated / informed as the driver progresses to your new home.

I am not familiar with Atlanta Peach. Are they affiliated with anyone?
A.C. White is very reputable in the Atlanta area, and you can sleep at night knowing you will have an honest, quality move.

By the way, I got a chuckle when you said you were moving your condo, cat, and husband. Loved the way you worded that!! Good luck.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:41 pm

The Public Service Commission has responsibility for certification and enforcement of regulations for household goods movers in Georgia. Here's the link to their most recent report card.

http://www.psc.state.ga.us/transportati ... rsdata.asp

Atlanta Peach is able to promise no shuttles because their fleet of 42 trucks consists primarily of straight trucks. As an independent mover, they operate primarily on the eastern seaboard. Most of their 6100 shipments were handled under their carrier operating authority as either local (intrastate) or short distance interstate moves.

A.C. White is an long-standing agent of Unigroup and represents both the United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit companies at several locations around Georgia. Although the number of moves they reported to the PSC is lower, they are actually a much larger company is terms of equipment, number of employees, and full service moving capabilities. Many of their shipments are handled under their United or Mayflower relationships. Their president, Archie, is a member of and contributor to this forum.

The Beltman Group is one of the largest agents of North American Van Lines. They have an office in both Doraville and Milwaukee. Berger Transfer and Storage, an Allied Van Lines agent based in Minneapolis, MN, also has an office in Lawrenceville. You should consider both these, or any other major van line agent for an in-home estimate.

Properly handled, a shuttle really isn't a big deal. It's an expensive hassle. Furniture isn't meant to be moved, so any additional handling will always increase the risk of damage. Transit time is going to depend on the size of your shipment and when you plan to move. Your estimators will be able to give you a good idea.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Of the two, I would definitely choose A.C. White. As far as I know, both Atlanta Peach and Mark the Mover are primarily local and short-distance movers. You want someone experienced in long-distance moves.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:50 pm

I'll try to help. The shuttle is not a bad thing, and sometimes unavoidable. The trucks that go over the road are 80 feet long, and will not always be able to negotiate into tight areas, apartment complex parking lots, older neighborhoods, Hi rise condo's where the architect never even thought about truck access ( which is most of the time) so don't worry about a shuttle. It is a little more cost, but not huge. The size of the shipment is what determines the cost. From the dollar amount you quoted for the total move, you probably have a medium sized shipment. Shuttles are not always necessary, and one trick to help resolve it, is for the movers to call ahead to the destination agent, and ask them to check, since it's in their local area. Most will do this as a favor, we do it all the time here in Atlanta. The question about the driver hauling it all the way, and what type of help he will use......there are a couple of possible scenarios....many of the Over the road drivers have a full time helper riding with them, so they make up their own crew. When thats not the case, they get their help from the local agent, at both origin and destination, and the helpers are pre-qualified, they have had a background check, and passed training requirements. United has a long time agent in Madison, Reynolds Transfer, and they will provide any services needed at the destination, thats part of their duties as an agent for United Van Lines.

Until a few days before the load is scheduled to be picked up, it is not always possible to know if a carrier truck ( United Van Lines) or Agent truck ( A.C. White) is going to be assigned. The logistics are what determines that. Is there other tonnage going that way, to combine for a load? Is there a truck from that area that is in Atlanta, and heading back, which would make this a return load?

Thats the beauty part of a large van line system, they have thousands of trucks all over the country, and tonnage does not go without proper service ( except in rare, peak weeks like the last week of June, July, Aug etc) and Atlanta to the Midwest ( mainly Chi) is a pretty regular route, as the trucks bringing retirees to Florida and going back to the midwest are always looking for return loads. The actual driver of the truck could be a driver from A.C. White, or a driver assigned by the United Van Lines dispatch dept. That should be invisible to you, there should be no difference in the service or reliability or performance or price. The only way you might notice is the accent of the driver.

A.C. White is an 83 year old Atlanta firm, owned and operated the entire time by the same founding family, being operated currently by the 3rd generation, with the 4th helping. The 5th generation is 3 weeks old today. The company joined United Van Lines in 1950, and has offices in Atlanta, Macon, Savannah and Hinesville GA, has 220,000 sq feet of warehouse space and employes 150 people.

Atlanta Peach is a fine mover also, and has been in Atlanta for approximately 20 years. I can't see on their website which carrier they represent for long distance moving, but at one time they were with Wheaton and Stevens Van lines. I would suggest you check with them to see if they have an agent in Madison, to help with the shuttle and provide qualified labor.
And the driver should notify you at least 24 hrs before delivery, and they all have cellphones, and can be contacted enroute for updates very easily.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Congrats Archie, on your recent new addition. :D

wryepicures

Postby wryepicures » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 am

Well we have finally decided on AC White.

Thanks to the replies about shuttles, trip lengths, and hiring practices. Again, this is all nerve wracking, and I'll keep updated on how it goes after the move. I think we are set for Mar 25 or something.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm

You've made a good choice. Please come back and let us know how it went.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:15 pm

We'll have to form a grandpa's club Archie. My twin grandchildren just turned 3 months old Wednesday.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

wryepicures

Re: ATL-WI: first-time post/move: FINISH

Postby wryepicures » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am

Sorry this post is waaay too late in coming. Here's the final move story:

Since our move was pretty small, only 2 guys came to wrap up the valuables but they were pretty quick about it all. The driver came in a little later, and he seemed pretty quick. He parked on the street below the condo complex we were living in, and the shuttle was right in the lot. with only three guys, they had it all out of our place in a few hours, it took longer to put it in the big truck just right, but they seemed to know what they were doing and its not like we were being charged by the hour. The driver tells us that with his route/schedule he will have it there in 3 days! We were really expecting later than that, so cool! We got his number in case we couldn't make the drive in time.

Loaded up the car, drove the whole way through and were in our empty apartment when the driver called to say he'd be there in an hour. Driver shows up on our smallish street with just one United guy, he has to move the truck so the neighbors can drive out but its all ok so far. Everything goes fine, I feel like the guy he got to help is one step from a heart attack all day, but the job gets done. Sure some of our cheap particle board stuff is banged up and some plastic tubs cracked, but none of the good furniture is messed up. Just to have something to do, I even checked off the boxes in the packing form (which I don't suggest to anyone unless you are bored and have a bizarrely good memory like I do). The driver could have gotten a shuttle, he also could have charged us for the 6 steps to get up the place- but he was very cool. I had the urge to give them pizza and beer, but we just tipped well instead.

Overall, I think we really lucked out with our cool driver. I can imagine that you can get screwed by dick drivers- he also pretty much told us that he wouldn't really see any extra $$ if there were extras charges for us, which put things into perspective. He got there super fast, he was fine explaining things to me since I have the nasty habit of actually reading contracts before signing, and none of our crap was missing/broken. We were very satisfied and will not only use carefully researched movers in the future: we'll have them pack more stuff for us.

Kudos to AC White, and especially United for the good move.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Great....glad it worked out....I followed it in the computer as it was happening, and I too was surprised by the fast delivery.....The Driver was David Knispel, and he drives for Planes/United, out of Chicago.

Diane

Re: **ATL-WI: first-time post/move

Postby Diane » Tue May 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Where did he get the workers he used in Atlanta, Archie?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm

We 'auxed' ( shuttled) it to the big truck, it was one of our local crews....I'd have to pull the file to get their names, which I can do, if you want.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Did the van line driver pay those workers? Just curious about how it works.

Also, Archie, look up your company on the Superlist and I think you'll see something new that will please you. :D
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”