Beware Platinum Van Lines, California

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
JaneDormer

Beware Platinum Van Lines, California

Postby JaneDormer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:23 pm

In 2006 I hired Platinum Van Lines of California to move me from Seattle to Washington D.C. They had a good bid (middle of the road in price) and I could find no complaints about them. I was new to moving, having never moved across the US with all of my household goods before.

Friday evening, at 4pm, before a Monday morning pick-up appointment, they called me to tell me that their truck had broken down and they had no way to get to me. They said that they would call back in 30 minutes with some other moving companies in the area that might be able to help me, but never called back. I called back at 4.30pm and they would not speak to me.

I had given them a $250 deposit (I didnt know any better at the time), and they kept my money.

I called them 10 times over the coming month, always getting the same excuse: We will send you a check/we have already mailed you a check.

After a month, they no longer answered their phones and I understand that they have since changed their business name.

I filed a complaint with the BBB in California against them. They never responded to the complaint.

Please be very careful of these people. They really screwed me and I was VERY lucky that United Van Lines out of Woodinville, WA was able to take care of them. THEY were wonderful and helped me out a lot, coming at the last minute, not charging a crazy amount (In fact their bid was amazingly reasonable), and delivering my items on time and without any damage.

Diane

Re: **Beware Platinum Van Lines, California

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Was it Star Moving Systems that helped you? I'm asking because we had a similar good report about them from 2004 -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1987#21987
I just want to make sure you are not the same person and then I'll add your good report to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Yes, Star Moving Systems is a good company, and the owner is a friend of mine ( Dan Powell) The company has been a United agent for 58 years, and probably been around prior to that.

(note: I just checked their website, this is their 118th year in the moving business)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:52 pm

I am going to assume that the United agent in Woodinville that rescued her was Star and add the comment to the Superlist under WA State.

Return to “Report A Scam”