Moving from Ann Arbor to Germany

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
bono269

Moving from Ann Arbor to Germany

Postby bono269 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 pm

We moved from Ann Arbor, MI to Berlin, Germany last July. As everyone else I got great quotes and calls from various companies, that I then confronted with what I found on movingscam.com. Oddly enough, I didn't hear from them again. Anyway, I got a really nice impression from Dave Wiviott from Rainer. The local company they worked with in Ann Arbor is called Frisbie. They were reliable, ok but need a kick in the butt from Dave, since they were not really good with getting and staying in touch.
We had prepared the move from months and packed thring up in our boxes (that I ordered from Sam's Club). Dave was quite uneasy about the fact, that I had packed things already and said that it will cause issues with the insurance and that I need to unpack because the movers will have to pack everything. Good thing, that only thisone time, I didn't listen to him. I didn't unpack things and opened the tape for some ofthe bigger boxes.Besides we wrote the main content with a Sharpie on the boxes. The 2 guys from Frisbie were happy about that. They copied down what was on the boxes and didn't want to see anything. Things were sent off from Ann Arbor on June 22nd and should not take longer than 6-8 weeks.
The company handling things in Germany was ITO. They were easy to get in contact with but I guess they were really busy. It took 9.5 weeks until our stuff arrived in Berlin because of several delays along the way. So, I think one should see those promised shipping times as approximations. To my surprise however, our stuff was not the in the two wooden boxes anymore on the trauck and some of the stuff was repacked. Since we had 66 items, it was hard to keep track of all of them and beside a couple of bowls and cups that were broken everything was fine. However, we still miss a couple of things were we could have sworn we packed them. It all depends on how careful you are in monitoring. I guess a more detailed inventory would have helps but we had one small baby to move too, so there was bascially no time.
Overall, I would rate the move between good and very good. Nothing is perfect, but I felt we were in good hands with Rainer and especially Dave. We got a quote from Allied too but that was 2.5 times as high and would have taken longer too.

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Ann Arbor to Germany

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I think his name is Doug Wiviott :D

Thanks for your review.

Diane

Re: **Moving from Ann Arbor to Germany

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks - I added your good review to the Rainier review thread.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “International Moves”