Alex Moving & Storage Long Beach, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
stemsla

Alex Moving & Storage Long Beach, CA

Postby stemsla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 am

I recently used this company for a move from LA to Louisville, KY (mid February 2008). I was happy with the initial conversations and meeting to review my inventory. I had a 3 bedroom house to move. I was quoted a fair price in comparison from what I saw from 2 other companys and I decided to go with the Assured Pricing Plan offered which meant I was quoted a Do Not Exceed price based on weight. My weight came in slightly under the quote so I paid slightly less than the price which worked out great. The movers and packers arrived on time, were friendly and took care of my things as if they were their own. Very professional. My driver gave me his cell number so I could stay in touch with him throughout the move which was expected to take about 5 - 7 days, but I agreed that it could take up to 10 business days. I didn't check in with the driver until about day 4 when he said he was doing well, in Texas as he had told me he'd be. He said, I think I'll be there on Saturday for delivery. Awesome, that would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, Thursday evening he said, not going to make it, will probably be Mon or Tues - this was after I called him, he did not call me. Well, Monday rolls around and I hear nothing so I call him and he says he'll be there Tuesday morning. Sure enough Tuesday morning he calls and says he has a problem with the truck and he's waiting for a mechanic. He is just outside Louisville so he'll be there as soon as he can, but probably not today. Ok, so then I call the office to check in on them and also to check his story. They say oh, he had told us he'd deliver to you this coming Friday (the last day I agreed to on the paperwork), they don't know anything about his truck breaking down. So, then the office calls the next day and says, the driver quit. I'm like OK! So, they promise they will call me back soon with more info and meet my Friday delivery date. Eventually they do call back and say a new driver will be there Friday morning. A new driver did show on Friday along with a partner who were very cool, nice guys who unpacked everything were very apologetic for all that had happened. So, to sum it up, all ended well, but the several days of being told I'd have a delivery and then did not were very annoying. After all I was waiting around, staying home from work to recieve my items. It was a total hassle and I feel that the company could have been better about compensating me and caring about the whole situation. They never really did anything after to follow up and find out if I was satisfied or how it went. I'd say use this company, but be cautious.

smatwilly

Re: Alex Moving & Storage Long Beach, CA

Postby smatwilly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:48 am

If this is the NorthAmerican Van Lines agent than they are a very reputable company--Unfortunately agents dont always have a heads up that their driver is going to quit & walk off the job! Thats a tough one. It sounds like other than that your move went well! Like I said, they are a really great agency---they pick up for us waaaay up in Maine occasionally--always good drivers with excellent help!

Sherry

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:56 am

As far as I know, the NAVL agent Alex Moving & Storage is located in Santa Ana, CA, not in Long Beach. Also, the "Assured Price Protection" quotes are with Atlas agents, not NAVL agents. I hope that the Original Poster can clarify which company she used so that I can post her review in the right place on the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Diane--yes they are--they are also in Oxnard, CA & another one in Van Nuys, CA--- :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:50 pm

What do you mean, "yes they are"--do they have a location in Long Beach?

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:17 pm

yes they are meaning - you are right, Yes they are located in Santa Ana, CA :lol:

stemsla

Postby stemsla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:52 pm

I have the right company name and location and they did quote me as I said. You don't have to believe me, but it's the reality of what happened to me during the move. Overall, I would not say don't use them, I'd just say this is my story and take from it what you will.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:09 am

Alex is located in Santa Ana. Our Irvine office gets their weights there.

Unfortunately, there are drivers quitting these days, and some are not finishing their loads. Most are quitting to go to other van lines or agents, but believe me, to leave a load before it delivers will not make them welcome at another mover.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:33 am

Drivers quitting in mid load is much more rare these days, than it used to be in the past. Course, nowadays, most over the road trucks have GPS devises that allow tracking, and drivers these days are usually owner operators, meaning they have had background checks, stabile lives, and their work history follows them more accurately, plus customers almost never pay with cash anymore, which was a big problem at one time, a truck driver being given more money than he could possibly earn in weeks, just to move somebody, with the expectation he would turn the money over to his dispatcher at the end of the trip. There was a time in the HHG moving industry that a guy who could fog a mirror was considered a top prospect, and what the heck, lets give him a chance, it's June 1, and we got 35,000 lbs assigned for APU tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and the day after that. My favorite was the guy we once hired, about 1970, that did a few runs, then abandoned his truck somewhere, and when we found it, which took awhile, he had not only stolen the COD money he had collected, but also sold the truck tires, and had rags put on in their place.

And we were constantly getting calls from other agents asking us to be on the look out in town for their unit so and so, where they thought the driver had left it. And there was the time about 1970 when I helped bail out of jail 3 drivers that were with one of the largest UVL agents, who fell victim to a APD john sting. That gave me tease rights towards the owner of that agency for years, sometimes still.

But it happens way less these days than in the past, the entire industry has a better class of performers, both drivers, helpers and packers, mainly due to better background checks, mandatory training classes, and higher revenue potential. A hard worker, with barely a high school education, can make a lot of money, if he wants to work hard for it.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Hmm Archie's Bail Bonds for truckers... You coulda diversified.. :D
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Lee, your driver that was at my place Thurs-Friday behaved nicely, It won't be necessary for me to bail him out.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Interesting topic about abandoned trucks. A NAVL trailer for an agent - Amick/Great Plains as been left at a Flying J in Carney's Point, NJ since the begining of the year. I think they are from Colorado and it seems odd to be left so far away from its home base.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Maybe that's a driver that owns his own trailer, and has an agreement with Flying J to perhaps pay lot rent for an extended period.

Our drivers all haul company owned trailers, and are expected to return them to the yard when they are gone for extended periods. We have a driver who goes back home to Vietnam once a year, and he leaves his trailer. That vehicle is then used either in regional service, or local/intra service by a local contractor.

I'm not sure who we had in Georgia the other day Archie. We have some drivers based out of our Phoenix office, and some out of the Temple, TX office.

By the way, what ever happened to that investigation at one of your local bases?

Our SoCal residents are up in arms because of the possibility some of the Guantanimo prisoners might be brought here to Camp Pendleton. Safest place on the West Coast is Alcatraz, but that won't happen.

When I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS, we took a tour of Leavenworth. Not much better than Alcatraz.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:04 am

Huh, I thought the people that wanted Gitmo closed had volunteered to accept 1 or 2 of the guests into their homes and rehabilitate them?

The investigation at my base is supposedly still ongoing, but in the immediate aftermath of the first exposure, they huffed and puffed and pretended to have made corrections.....we got a little more tonnage, and the main culprit was transfered to the motor pool. But the tonnage misdirection still continues, perhaps to a lesser extent. We've heard that SDDC and CID are involved. While the Code 1 tonnage has improved, we've gone 2 years without being paid for our non temp, which is up over $60,000 in arrears, and RSMO says they can't help, they can write a letter or two, but the actual payment is between us and the base, (base approves the invoice, then one of the payment offices pays) Believe it or not, we have the same trouble at another base in GA, Robins AFB they are $40,000 and almost 2 years behind. It's hard to explain, how the govt can be so poorly run that they don't pay their contractors. Wehave non temp shipments that we have packed, picked up, stored, delivered out and paid a claim, and yet not been paid for anything. Our company lawyer is waiting on a response from RSMO, and if nothing happens, we will be suing them ( he says we can, since its a contract issue). I know of other movers here in town that have the same problem we do. Needless to say, we have stopped accepting NTS at those 2 bases. Being the low bidder, and not getting paid make it hard to justify.

I didn't get a chance to see or speak to your driver, he was driving a condo Pete or KatieWhopper, I didn't get a good look at it. I just saw Hidden Valley on the side, didn't notice which office, but it was an impressive unit.

Return to “Open Community”