Review of Ace Worldwide Moving (Atlas) from Austin TX to Carrboro NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
pithlydawn

Review of Ace Worldwide Moving (Atlas) from Austin TX to Carrboro NC

Postby pithlydawn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:21 am

I used this site extensively before my move; thank you so much for such an informative site!

I couldn't find many reviews of moves originating in Austin, so I wanted to come back and add mine. Hopefully I am putting this in the right place!

We used Ace WorldWide Moving & Storage, an Atlas affiliate, for our move in January from Austin to Carrboro, NC (in the Chapel Hill area). I originally obtained quotes from 3 movers, Ace WorldWide, Berger Transfer & Storage (Allied), and Armstrong (United). Ace Worldwide was able to come down the lowest, so we went with them.

There was a little mess up with the move dates, so we had to race to NC to get here before the movers, but I think that was just because of the confusion with moving around the holidays, so I don't think anyone is at fault there. Our pick-up date was Jan. 2 and our drop-off date was Jan. 5.

The day of the move, they were on time. There was the van driver and 2 helpers, both of whom were long-time residents of the Austin area. They did a good job loading our stuff and only scratched one wall where it was hard to get the mattress down the stairs, which we were able to fix with paint.

They arrived in NC on time and unloaded things efficiently. One problem we had is that we had asked during the quote if any day labor was used, and they assured us they only used actual Atlas staff. The two helpers on the day of unloading seemed like day labor. One didn't speak English at all, which is ok, but the van driver had to explain how to protect the walls and carry items, which made us pretty sure they weren't regular staff.

Loading and unloading times were very reasonable. It took about 4-5 hours to load, and about 3 hours to unload. (We moved a small 3-bedroom house without major appliances.)

We had one slight crack on a bookcase but everything else arrived in good shape. Except our brand new PS3 and Xbox 360, Christmas gifts which we foolishly boxed up in their original packaging. These didn't arrive at all.

We double and triple checked the van and the unloaded boxes, and these two items weren't there. We had paid for complete coverage with no deductible, so we started the claims process. This took a long time, but they did eventually settle without too much hassle, just a few repeated emails from me asking how the trace was going. After about 2 months, we received a check for the full amount claimed.

I would probably use them again, but with any mover I will now be sure to pack any electronics in non-obvious boxes.

Diane

Re: **Review of Ace Worldwide Moving (Atlas) from Austin TX to Carrboro NC

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks for this review. If you see this, was the claim paid by Ace Worldwide or by Atlas Van Lines?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”