*Has anyone had experience w/ NY based Liberty Moving (United agent)?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rinconia

*Has anyone had experience w/ NY based Liberty Moving (United agent)?

Postby Rinconia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi, I am moving from Brooklyn to Los Angeles at the end of April and am seriously considering using Liberty Moving and Storage, based in NY, US DOT #: 325439 . They are an agent of United Van Lines. Does anyone have experience with them?

I looked at Molloy Bros (Mayflower) and Victory (also a United Agent) and spoke to Moovers, Inc. Moovers wouldn't come out to my house, and offered an over the phone estimate, which I rejected. Victory, Molloy and Liberty all gave in-house estimates and offered relatively similar pricing (I understand that Mayflower and United are owned by the same parent company, so their pricing structure is practically identical). I checked out all 3 on the SAFER website and the BBB and FMCSA's Safety Violation and Consumer Complaints hotline. No complaints, and they all seem within the norm for safety... but I have a couple questions...

~Liberty's MCS-150 Form Date is 12/09/2005. Does this mean they have only been in business since '05? And is that sketchy? They have also only been inspected twice in the past 2 years, as opposed to Molloy's 20 inspections. Should I be concerned?

~Liberty seemed confident they could do a direct pick up in Brooklyn (no shuttle needed) and that I would have the same driver throughout, even if I needed my stuff shuttled on the LA end, I would have the same driver. Big plus. And he told me it would be one of their agents, not someone they outsourced. I like that, for sure, esp. since Victory said they'd need to outsource. But how do I guarantee that Liberty is telling the truth? They said they could just double park on my street and it would be no problem to load, that it's a very wide street (and for NYC, it is). Molloy, however, said they could only do direct pick up IF they could get in curbisde on an alternate side parking day, and that otherwise they'd need to do a shuttle service. Is Molloy trying to make some extra cash, or are they right? Is double parking a moving truck in Brooklyn a major problem? I have about 2800 lbs to move (ie a small 1 bedroom apt), so not much stuff, so hopefully not much time... does anyone have experience moving out of the streets of NY?

Thank you to anyone who answers any of my gazillion questions! What a valuable website!

joesgarage39

Re: Has anyone had experience w/ NY based Liberty Moving (United agent)?

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:32 pm

I have worked with Liberty on several occasions and never have I had any trouble with them at all. They have been in business for a very long time. Some time ago they were an agent for Allied and switched to United so that would explain the doc you saw. These people are very knowledgeable and if they say there is a possibility for a truck to get to your place and load then I would take stock in it. The dispatcher has a radar where you can give him an address and he will tell you if a shuttle is required. One note, if a truck can get in there it will but that will depend on the availability of a truck. Many times they will just pick up yoru shipment because there is a metro charge for the city and bring it back to teh warehouse. The decision is made by operations and not sales so until operations calls you and tells you what is happening do not assume. Your shipment is small and most agents in the city would rather pack and pick something small in the same day rather than to wonder if a truck is going to load direct. When Liberty does this they are very efficent in caring for yoru goods. The agent in L.A. will probably be either King or S&M both very reputable compaines so rest assured your move will go well.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Rinconia,

All three companies you're considering are discussed on the Superlist linked to below my name. Scroll down to "New York" and "NY-Long Island" to see what has been said here. Victory is on Staten Island and the other two are on Long Island. Just judging from the reviews (which are a work in progress, of course), I would say that Liberty would be your best choice of the three, but you should look and be the judge.

Ironically, I believe that your best move would be with Moovers Inc. and frankly I'm puzzled that they wouldn't do an in-home estimate, because they go to NYC to do estimates all the time. I think they are probably overwhelmed and simply can't schedule it. Too bad.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rinconia

Postby Rinconia » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:01 am

Thank you thank you for your quick and thorough responses! I've now decided to go with Liberty... but he said he required a 100$ deposit. I just read one of movingscam's articles, "Understanding Estimates" by Tyrone Kelley, in which he says "One last note; If your move is an interstate move, you should never expect to pay a deposit."

So what do I do?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:18 am

I think it's OK. Most reputable moving companies don't require deposits, but in urban areas like NY they sometimes do, just to partly cover their costs in going to the residence and to try to make sure that the customer doesn't go with another mover. Please be sure to come back to report on how your move goes.

Rinconia

Postby Rinconia » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks. I will report on the move, for sure! I am so grateful for movingscam... I'm telling all my friends about it.

Richnjca

Postby Richnjca » Mon May 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Rinconia

Did you make your move?
I'm going from Long Island to LA and am looking at Liberty.

Thanks

Rinconia

Postby Rinconia » Mon May 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi! Well, funny enough, I was going to sit down today and write my review. I had a FANTASTIC experience with Liberty. My driver, Eddy Arios, was straightforward, helpful, and accommodating with my tight time frame. The movers arrived early at my home in Brooklyn, which was great. I was initially disappointed because Eddy arrived with a shuttle truck instead of the actual 18- wheeler that was going across country that the estimator had guaranteed... i.e, direct pick up. I didn't want lots of handling of my stuff, and had thought I wouldn't have to pay an extra shuttle fee. Eddy told me he was just nervous about his turning ability onto my street, and that he wouldn't charge me for the transfer from shuttle to truck. I called dispatch right away, and they confirmed that I would not be charged for the transfer. I needn't have worried about the double handling, though, considering how smooth everything went.
They moved quickly, Eddy taking the time to explain every form that I was signing. Eddy gave me his cell phone number and explained how I could track the shipment online. He answered his cell every time I called. In Los Angeles, Eddy arrived right on time with 2 movers from their local affiliate. I had arranged to pay by check, but dispatch didn't tell me it needed to be certified... until Eddy arrived with my stuff and told me. Thank god I moved in on a Saturday when the bank was still open to give me a certified check.

They unloaded everything quickly and where I wanted it.... and the best part?...... NOTHING WAS BROKEN OR EVEN SCRATCHED. I have many antiques, delicate glassware and lots of framed art, and EVERYTHING WAS IN PRISTINE CONDITION. I was shocked, frankly, considering all the horror stories I've read, and I can't fully express how relieved I am that it went so smoothly. I also did a lot of online research on how to pack my fragile pieces, so I think that helped. I would absolutely recommend Eddy and Liberty to anyone.

Diane

Re: **Has anyone had experience w/ NY based Liberty Moving (United agent)?

Postby Diane » Mon May 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Rinconia wrote:~Liberty seemed confident they could do a direct pick up in Brooklyn (no shuttle needed) . . . They said they could just double park on my street and it would be no problem to load, that it's a very wide street (and for NYC, it is).

Rinconia,

I'm glad that you had a good move. But I just wanted to note that after the sales rep's assurance (quoted above), it turned out that the United driver DID use a shuttle after all. Just another piece of evidence that no matter what the reps say, the driver always has the last word.

Did you like your sales rep, and who was it? Did you like the people who loaded, and were they from Liberty? I ask because although your review is very good, it is really about the van line driver and not Liberty itself.

Do you know what company supplied the unloading labor at destination in Los Angeles?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rinconia

Postby Rinconia » Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 pm

You're right, it was a unfortunate jolt to have the shuttle van arrive on moving day. I think I would have been harsher in my criticism of that aspect if the rest of the move hadn't gone so beautifully.

My sales rep at Liberty was Howard Seigel, who was thorough and available to answer all my questions. He's not the chummiest guy ever, and was a little superior in his attitude, but he was clear in explaining the move and the charges and the insurance. I didn't verify this, but he said that his movers were full time employees with full benefits, the works. The Liberty guys who loaded in NY were GREAT. Alex and Martin, I don't know their last names. They were very fast, efficient, and left no damage on my property. They were faster and much better at moving my huge couch than the Mayflower movers I used 8 years ago to move into my 2nd floor walk-up Brooklyn apt. There was no damage from the LA movers at my new property, either. I believe those guys were from the LA- based King company.

One more thing about my driver Eddy-- I really liked that he never tried to charm me. It was very clear that he was simply doing his job and wasn't trying to cover over anything by "becoming my friend", etc.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon May 05, 2008 8:07 pm

You got it Diane. The drivers get to call the shots. Based on them assuming the liability they do, I think they have that right. Salespeople do their best but are not perfect. I've had jobs I was sure were a shuttle and the driver got in and I've had jobs where access looked like a piece of cake to me and the driver demanded a shuttle. That could have been the situation in this case. Rinconia could have had a driver screaming that a shuttle was absolutely necessary but instead he got a professional driver who was not sure if he could get to the residence with his tractor-trailer and rather than waste a lot of valuable time trying to get his rig in somewhere he was not sure about, he did the shuttle without any charge to the customer. Great deal! I realize it meant additional handling of the furniture, but I think the driver made a wise choice and is definitely one of the "good guys" in the moving industry. As for the sales rep, he made what appears to be bad judgement and was probably not the right call. I'm thinking he should have included a shuttle on his quote from the start; however, since he did not and the driver handled the job as he did, the customer got a great move and has some extra cash in his pocket.

condo driver

Postby condo driver » Mon May 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Chaz is correct. There's alot of times on the smaller shipments to just take a small local truck out to pickup the shipment. It saves alot of hassles, of not getting in, parking, long carries, driving thru tight areas, and sometimes if it don't line up with your delivery schedule, you can let it sit on that truck till your ready to load onto the trailer. In doing this for 25 years i never had anyone complain about bringing a smaller truck. There were also ones that should have been a shuttle, but didn't get charged.

Rinconia

Postby Rinconia » Tue May 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I just wanted to amend spelling-- my driver's name is spelled Eddy Arias, not Arios.

haulinsurance

Postby haulinsurance » Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 pm

I have had experience with both companies [Molloy & Liberty] from a professional stand point not a customer view. In my opinion both are fine companies but I myself would chose Molloy. Molloy is owned by a Molloy and some drivers are Molloys. In my opinion Molloy treats it's drivers better and that makes for a happier crew. In perticular I would request to have Driver Johnny Molloy. He is a seasoned[not to old]driver and knows this country like the back of his hand. I worked with him in Miami many years ago and he is strickly a PRO.

Return to “Open Community”