*Philadelphia local move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jingliecon

*Philadelphia local move

Postby jingliecon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Many thanks to this site for sharing so much useful information! I'm looking for someone for a local move. Per information collected here, it looks Mambo and Action Enterprize are the top choices.

My dilemma: Mambo is booked up on my desired move day, so to go with them I'll have to postpone the move for 3 days, incurring extra rental costs.

AE can do it on my day, but contrary to the comments posted here, Jerry actually quoted me a higher flat rate than Mambo's estimates. The fact that Mambo has more guys yet is completely booked up while the smaller AE is open on my moving day makes me a little nervous too.

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it if anyone who has recently moved with AE and is willing to share the experience. Thanks!
Last edited by jingliecon on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Re: Philadelphia local move

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm

All the reviews of reputable movers that have been posted here have already been moved to the Superlist, so I think you're unlikely to find more recent reviews of Action Enterprises. I think they would be OK, but if you want another possibility, Sinclair (Mayflower) has great reviews and I was very impressed with its sales rep Mike Jenkins when I spoke with him recently. Sinclair might charge more than AE, however.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:29 pm

You may want to try a company called Gene's Moving Service. They are a small company and do local moving only. To my understanding, they have the proper Pennsylvania PUC operating authority. I recently met someone from there at a Pennsylvania movers meeting and was impressed. If nothing else, they have a cute logo on their business card. It's a bear and a rabbit wearing mover's coveralls carrting a sofa with a cat on the sofa. Obviously, it does not take much to entertain me.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks, Chaz! I'd forgotten all about Gene. Based on a tip from Rob Morgan, I called him years ago begging to find labor late on Saturday afternoon to help a driver shuttle about 14K into a three story colonial brownstone in old town at June month-end. The driver's labor walked when they saw the house. Gene told me his crew was booked until mid-July but he would see what he could do.

The driver told me that the "boss" showed up about 7 p.m with 4 guys and they had everything buttoned up before 10 o'clock. He said it was the most fun he'd had on a summer day in years. Everyone was laughing the entire time - even the shipper. Never heard a single complaint about the stairs.

Back then Gene didn't have a website www.genesmoving.com , but it's straight forward simplicity speaks volumes about his business and customer appeal. It was nice to put a face with a smile.

Diane

Re: *Philadelphia local move

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:09 am

I like the look of Gene's website and the pdf linked to the website. Although I couldn't find a BBB listing for his company, I'm putting it on the Superlist along with your favorable remarks about him, Rick and Charlie. Thanks for the info.

jingliecon

Re: *Philadelphia local move

Postby jingliecon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks to all for the useful information. Gene's website does look neat.

Update on my move: Jerry of AE came to do an in-home estimate for my move. He was very courteous and pleasant. But I still prefer mambo after this visit, mainly for two reasons: 1. Although Jerry can do the packing, he asked me to prepare boxes which is a pain. I wouldn't know how many boxes I need, and for what sizes... 2. It sounds like he's not used to hoist, while my spring box may actually need that (the movers hoisted it when we moved in).

Anyways, so today I called mambo again just in case something opened up -- and amazingly it did! So now I'm set with the artists....& will come back to share my experience with them.

Return to “Open Community”